Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
# 211
05-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaind3 View Post
Mine is the M11BB-B06 sorry about that.

So you're saying that I have a CPU with a built in GPU but my graphics card doesn't have a separate GPU? That bites, I wanted an actual separate GPU. That does explain why I only see one CPU in the task manager though. Oh well, at least it still works well, the only place I have any severe choppiness...really any at all is the Kelvani belt for some reason. My sympathies to everyone who is suffering from unplayability.

No I can't it's mostly Greek to me.

Though looking at the math difference I get what you're saying.

So .8 gigs of RAM is VRAM, got it.

As I said earlier I'm a rookie at all this, but I'm getting some of the gist of what you're saying. I know it's not a top of the line rig, but again, four year old game.

What do you mean by "Discrete" graphics card?

I'm planning on upgrading it, but that requires spare money. I was hoping this one would carry me well for a while before I'd need to upgrade it...it appears STO is a bit more complex than that.

Another question, what is Morphological Filtering?

An about *So .8 gigs of RAM is VRAM, got it.* No actually you have 8Gigs of system ram, however. The built in HD 8670 is using some of that 8Gigs of ram as video memory .

Also my 270X is roughly 3.3 times stronger, If you were to base it off the math lolz, 1280 / 384 = 3.3+. But in reality it's probably a bit more :/ lolz.

*What do you mean by "Discrete" graphics card?*

It means that it is a Separate component from the main.

Example.
Now Dats a Video Card! *I wantz!* lolz
http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/...rozr-4S-OC.jpg
That's a R9 290X from MSI and the BIG Brother to my R9 270X lolz.

Morphological Filtering.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/technol...ogical-aa.aspx

Hope that helps to clear a few things up.
Captain
# 212
05-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureleus View Post
An about *So .8 gigs of RAM is VRAM, got it.* No actually you have 8Gigs of system ram, however. The built in HD 8670 is using some of that 8Gigs of ram as video memory .

Also my 270X is roughly 3.3 times stronger, If you were to base it off the math lolz, 1280 / 384 = 3.3+. But in reality it's probably a bit more :/ lolz.

*What do you mean by "Discrete" graphics card?*

It means that it is a Separate component from the main.
I was a afraid you were gonna confirm that.
Quote:
Example.
Now Dats a Video Card! *I wantz!* lolz
http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/...rozr-4S-OC.jpg
That's a R9 290X from MSI and the BIG Brother to my R9 270X lolz.
The only response I have for that is in here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

Quote:
Morphological Filtering.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/technol...ogical-aa.aspx

Hope that helps to clear a few things up.
Well a last input for now...should I turn it on?
Yes I support This

"Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many they are few"
Lt. Commander
# 213
05-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Quote:
I was a afraid you were gonna confirm that.

The only response I have for that is in here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

Well a last input for now...should I turn it on?
lolz that vid . An no I'd leave that filter off actually.

In your Catalyst Control Center, in the *Gaming* tab in the sub category 3D App settings, for your current HD 8670 I'd use these settings.

In the Anti-Aliasing area *Top*

*Top to bottom*

Use Application Settings

Use Application Settings

Standard

Multisampling

Off

Next Section.

Texture Filtering.

Use Application Settings

x16

High Quality

On

Next Section.

Frame Rate Control.

On, Unless Application Specifies

On

Next Section.

Tessellation.

Use Application Settings

Use Application Settings

Remember this is Going from Top of the list to the Bottom of the list. Based on each section within the Catalyst Control Center.

Hope this helps in game some These are Basically what settings I use for my 270X, I then just change the settings in game an go from there lolz.
Captain
# 214
05-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Quote:
lolz that vid . An no I'd leave that filter off actually.

In your Catalyst Control Center, in the *Gaming* tab in the sub category 3D App settings, for your current HD 8670 I'd use these settings.

In the Anti-Aliasing area *Top*

*Top to bottom*

Use Application Settings

Use Application Settings

Standard

Multisampling

Off

Next Section.

Texture Filtering.

Use Application Settings

x16

High Quality

On

Next Section.

Frame Rate Control.

On, Unless Application Specifies

On

Next Section.

Tessellation.

Use Application Settings

Use Application Settings

Remember this is Going from Top of the list to the Bottom of the list. Based on each section within the Catalyst Control Center.

Hope this helps in game some These are Basically what settings I use for my 270X, I then just change the settings in game an go from there lolz.
Just what I needed.

Man I came to the right place, you guys in this thread are pro.

Many Thanks. I'll drop a line to tell you how it works out. Other than that good night.
Yes I support This

"Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many they are few"
Captain
# 215
05-09-2014, 05:37 AM
Ow, its curious to see how a lot of graphic options are totally different from the Radeon cards and the Nvidia ones lol.

By the way, is the Tessellation a selectable option in the radeon panel??? that is really amazing.. i thought that method of parsing things like hair and really small objects was only available if the game had the option.

As far as i know Tessellation is probably the option that more resources drain from the videocard. So even if the game is not using it, and you have it activated , turn it off!. Anyways i dont think a game that has no use of tesellation will use it, but just in case..

Last edited by edgecrysger; 05-09-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 216
05-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
Ow, its curious to see how a lot of graphic options are totally different from the Radeon cards and the Nvidia ones lol.

By the way, is the Tessellation a selectable option in the radeon panel??? that is really amazing.. i thought that method of parsing things like hair and really small objects was only available if the game had the option.

As far as i know Tessellation is probably the option that more resources drain from the videocard. So even if the game is not using it, and you have it activated , turn it off!. Anyways i dont think a game that has no use of tesellation will use it, but just in case..

Yes all the options with in the 3D Application Settings tab have pull downs for selecting different options. An there's actually quite a lot of options . Mine is set so that I have max quality plus max performance, since I don't use AA. Which I leave as Application Controlled. This way my video driver isn't messing with my game in an adverse way when I start it up. Some games will have issues if AA is forced via the video driver and not with the in game options.

Also his HD8670 can use tessellation, and STO does use *Some* tessellation. Its just not on say the same level as Star Citizen .

An since using DX11 with my 270X which I upgraded from an HD4890, even with my tessellation settings set to *AMD Optimized* I still get Far better and smoother FPS then with my HD4890 in DX9 LOL.
Career Officer
# 217
05-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi2142 View Post
Speedtest.net and post your results
Pingtest.net and post your results

stuttering is indicative of extreme latency, NOT system performance, you may need to update your NIC driver, or upgrade to Cable. If you live on West Coast of the US you should NEVER see this latency as the STO servers are located in California.

The double edged sword these days that people do not realize is that if your CPU is a bit dated, then you are hurting yourself when you choose "Minimal" settings, as a lot of the tasks asked of the GPU are handed off to the CPU when you switch to "Minimal" rendering the GPU into just a relay of the CPU's progress. I recommend using Medium or just below settings, NEVER use the lowest. you can get the best performance out of STO by turning off AA.

"Stuttering" is telling me a connectivity issue, if it were your system you would experience such things as extremely reduced frame rates, use FRAPS to give a real time read out of your frame rate. Fraps is simple and easy to use, so it shouldn't be rocket science, just read everything and react accordingly. NOTE: Fraps must remain running to work, you can minimize it, but the window you cannot close, as it will close the program.

Game server is located in Boston. Do a trace route you can follow it there.
Star Trek Online, where the developers think it is alright to play a game with a FPS rate of 10 or worse. Blame it on the players system that ran just fine before Season Nine.
Ryche of Hammer Squadron
Captain
# 218
05-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Yes all the options with in the 3D Application Settings tab have pull downs for selecting different options. An there's actually quite a lot of options . Mine is set so that I have max quality plus max performance, since I don't use AA. Which I leave as Application Controlled. This way my video driver isn't messing with my game in an adverse way when I start it up. Some games will have issues if AA is forced via the video driver and not with the in game options.

Also his HD8670 can use tessellation, and STO does use *Some* tessellation. Its just not on say the same level as Star Citizen .

An since using DX11 with my 270X which I upgraded from an HD4890, even with my tessellation settings set to *AMD Optimized* I still get Far better and smoother FPS then with my HD4890 in DX9 LOL.
Yay, i know. It is the same for nvidia cards, but what i was asking is. My videocard supports tesellation as well (and it is an "old" gtx650) (already played a few games with tesselation effects) but i never saw any option related to it in the nvidia control panel. Its true that i dont update the control panel since a long time ago , so maybe im missing something.

And no. I dont think that STO uses tessellation LMAO. There is not place in the game to use that rendering method. And i never saw anything that will be possibly rendered with tesselation. And Tesellation was not even present in any videogame AFTER STO, not before. In fact, i think a couple of years ago, maybe three. Anyways, STO doesnt have enough rendering level to be able to use advanced rendering methods like tesellation. Not by far lol.

But only a few games are prepared to use tesellation effects, so that was my question. Its really weird that you have an option to "control" tesellation, since it is more an specific game option than anything else.
Captain
# 219
05-09-2014, 03:30 PM
I had to go back in and turn the Open GL Triple Buffering off, the Texture filtering back on Application settings, and the Tesselation mode to AMD optimized, using Auraleus' settings cut into my frame rate. It's back to smooth now.
Yes I support This

Lt. Commander
# 220
05-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Quote:
I had to go back in and turn the Open GL Triple Buffering off, the Texture filtering back on Application settings, and the Tesselation mode to AMD optimized, using Aureleus' settings cut into my frame rate. It's back to smooth now.
Tripple Buffering should actually help. Try changing that one and leave the rest as is and see how that go's. If it cause's any issues then just switch it back. This will also help determine or prove my point with your HD8670 being the weak link in the system. Also lowering the Visual FX setting should help.