Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 241
05-15-2014, 07:31 PM
The only issue with the dev tracker is that it tries to redirect back to page 1.
Want to play with canon ship loadouts? Join the Star Trek Battles channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orondis View Post
What we'll end up with is no intermediary between easy and hard difficulty, just super easy, easy and hard.
And the saddest thing is it won't stop the complaints.
Lt. Commander
# 242
05-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprometheus79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielinwestmin View Post
Just a plain jane Core i7 4770k CPU with 8 Measily gigs of DDR3 RAM (2133 speed) and a GeForce 750ti and I have all the graphics options set all the way high even with VSync enabled. No problems on my end, I get average of 50 frames per second and sometimes it will drop to oh.... 43.

The only thing I do before launching STO is to make sure my graphics card power setting is set to maximum performance instead of balanced.

Dude, for real and that's nice to know. A lot of us have beefier rigs than you and are getting 6FPS or less.

simeion1 - what he said, the only thing I've seen is the vague twitter response I got.
He doesn't say WHERE he was getting that FPS at, it could have been on Drazona or even Vulcan >.>. I highly Doubt a 750Ti is out FPS'ing a rig with an i7 at 4GHz+ paired with SLI'ed GTX 590s or even a single 780Ti *Note that's not My Rig lolz*.

Even when set to full performance mode via the Nvidia Control Center, the fact that S9 is so poorly optimized makes getting higher then 60 FPS on average very hard with the new content, unless you have a very beefy system and have tweaked certain settings in game to allow it. An even then ppl with beefy systems are having issues with S9 that really shouldn't be.

As I have said before, you know something it very Wrong when you can play BF4 on Ultra preset minus AA at 1080p and average better more consistent FPS then when you play STO at 1080p o.O. An STO's a 4 year old game >.>.
Survivor of Romulus
# 243
05-16-2014, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureleus View Post
He doesn't say WHERE he was getting that FPS at, it could have been on Drazona or even Vulcan >.>. I highly Doubt a 750Ti is out FPS'ing a rig with an i7 at 4GHz+ paired with SLI'ed GTX 590s or even a single 780Ti *Note that's not My Rig lolz*.

Even when set to full performance mode via the Nvidia Control Center, the fact that S9 is so poorly optimized makes getting higher then 60 FPS on average very hard with the new content, unless you have a very beefy system and have tweaked certain settings in game to allow it. An even then ppl with beefy systems are having issues with S9 that really shouldn't be.

As I have said before, you know something it very Wrong when you can play BF4 on Ultra preset minus AA at 1080p and average better more consistent FPS then when you play STO at 1080p o.O. An STO's a 4 year old game >.>.

I recently upgraded my rig, or to be more accurate replaced it almost entirely. Got a nice new core i5 4440, 16GB of ram and an AMD R9 270x 2GB gpu.
I started up STO with this new rig and saw that in the old interiors where fps hadn't been an issue like DS9 or K7, I was seeing frame rates locked at a rock steady 120 fps with all settings maxed @1920x1080. On the new ESD however, I was getting only very slightly higher frame rates than on my old rig*, around the 20 mark. Juddery, but usable.
But going into the undine space battlezone was a nightmare. Frame rates as low as ever, even with settings reduced.

*Old rig had reduced settings. No bloom, no post processing, no AA, no shadows, no ssao, no depth of field etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
ARC: A way to Redeem Codes
Ensign
# 244 Graphic Error
05-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Ok so I've been playing for years now, and I played approx. 8 months ago. I deployed so I wasn't able to recently, but I got back on the other day updated and played with the same settings I've always had, and it's been saying my RAM isn't up to the task but I've got 16 GB of RAM is that not enough or is something else wrong making my computer not allow STO to use it?
Commander
# 245
05-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureleus View Post

Not had an Nvidia card in a long time, so can't say to any cpanel settings, but you should not need to do what you have described. It's just, well it's just beyond belief almost that if we want to play the game, that kinda work is involved.

True that he didn't say where he was getting that FPS rate. Maybe it was on a map loading screen.
Expressing an opinion can be considered trolling depending on the situation. Sometimes the people doing it, don't understand it and often get trolled themselves without understanding it. Let's all think about what we say, even if just a bit.

It's Wibble - not woobal...
Lieutenant
# 246
05-16-2014, 12:44 PM
ill throw in my 2 cents,its simple cryptic botched something during s9 programming,before s9 my old laptop could play sto at medium settings,now its struggling at everything minimum,my new laptop could play sto s8 at everything at max settings,now its struggling at medium settings,put simple something in the programming has botched peoples graphics
Commander
# 247
05-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Don't know what the problem is... but I have had to majorly dial back my graphics with S9. I used to be able to run medium-high settings comfortably with no hint of lag. Now I'm back to medium-low settings and still lag some in 20-man missions or areas with a lot of SPAM (like SB24 or the Undine BZ).

AMD A4 APU (Dual Core)... with 8 gigs of DDR3.

Whatever they did to make things "better"... made them WORSE.
Commander
# 248
05-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3xr34p3r View Post
Considering by now every gamer and their monkey's uncle is on a 64bit OS (unless its a custom application), I fail to see why dev's are still using 32bit engines when games like star citizen are dropping it in favor of the the double-point precision with 64bit to get more out of their game.

FFS, we had/have Frostbite 2, Nitrous, REDengine3 and now Cryengine moving/moved to 64bit, I have not seen any info on the others in that area as of yet only new ways to simplify game dev work and render tech.

Boggles the mind at times it does.
Because totally transitioning towards a new engine costs way too much with very little return for cryptic.
::: HIT ME UP IN reddit.com/r/openttd Server 5 Admin :::
Career Officer
# 249
05-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmt View Post
Because totally transitioning towards a new engine costs way too much with very little return for cryptic.
Smaller games that fit comfortably into the 2 GB limits of 32-bit processes have no particular need for 64-bit native versions in the short term. On the other hand, AAA titles are already transitioning to 64-bit native executables. In some cases, these are purely internal builds to better handle debugging, unoptimized content, and rapid iteration. In the long run, it makes sense to ship these to customers.

Shipping 64-bit native applications will become the norm as 32-bit systems are retired or upgraded. Even many laptops are x64 capable. In fact, today’s gaming laptops often come with 4 GB or more RAM. While the use of 64-bit pointers can increase an application’s memory footprint somewhat, structure packing and optimization can bring a 64-bit application in line with an equivalent 32-bit application.

Such x64 native applications gain the performance benefits of extra registers. They can assume SSE2 to transition away from the less efficient x87 FP stack model. They also eliminate the fairly small marshaling costs of Win32 system calls on Windows x64 bypassing WOW64. Future development efforts of compilers, and other tools will shift from being 32-bit focused to 64-bit only. At that point, memory addressability is no longer the primary driving reason to move to x64 native applications.

There are two main challenges to the future of x64 native games beyond the traditional issue of market penetration and adoption: third-party “middleware” solutions and tools and the use of deprecated technologies.

And we can see these issues being challenged and addressed as game devs move more onto the linux builds of their engines for better support in the long term.

And here is how to port 32bit engines to 64bit for windows: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...-bit_platforms
So again I repeat it boggles the mind as to why we are still gaming on 32bit only game engines in this day and age with 64bit gaming systems being the majority of the consumer base.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.

Last edited by th3xr34p3r; 05-16-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Lieutenant
# 250
05-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Yes.. for the love of the game PLEASE FIX THE GRAPHICS !!!! Betcha a million people have now mentioned this over and over.. PLEASE!

Do a emergency patch, take the servers offline for 4 hours, I doubt people would care as long as you guys fix the graphics bug that causes these incredible frame rate stutters and disappearing weapons and shields

Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet