Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Career Officer
# 321
05-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
No, my gtx 650 doesnt lag, i never said that?? i said, that if i activate vsync, i suffer lag spikes. But i dont have vsync activated, i play at 60-70 fps all the time. But using DX11, the only difference was that just minor spikes lowering to 45-50 fps, but thats all. But playing at 70fps all the time, i am able to notice spikes of 15 fps. I use DX11 in other games, regular games, and my videocard performs amazingly well.

And yes, tesellation is used for that as well, and a lot of things, but primary for rendering complex small objects like hair and grass. That was the primary goal when it was developed. Btw, it comes to my mind "Tomb Raider", a clear example of the use of tesellation effects. And again, no, tesellation is not used in STO. DX11 has no improvements watsoever over DX9 in this case. I played with DX11 until a couple of months ago, and nothing, nada, no difference at all. Well, im wrong, the only difference i noticed was the inclusion of 2 more antialiasing modes in the options. Thats all.

What STO needs is a revamped engine, period.
Finally something we all agree on and been saying pretty much the entire time.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Career Officer
# 322
05-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Well that was interesting, just updated to driverset 337.81 Beta and even with some of the combat dropping down into 24ish range for it felt smoother vs 337.50 Beta in Vicious Cycle.

Did not notice I dropped into the 20's till I looked on my G13 display.
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Career Officer
# 323
05-23-2014, 05:57 AM
A quick question guy's,

(I'm too lazy to google )

What exactly does VSync do? I've seen the option but never thought to play with it.
Admiral Rednall
* Server Hamster - This time it's personal *
Career Officer
# 324
05-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxadrill View Post
A quick question guy's,

(I'm too lazy to google )

What exactly does VSync do? I've seen the option but never thought to play with it.
It locks the gpu to your display max refresh rate and any extra frames once on are not rendered.

In nvidia there are two options there is the old always on vsync and the newer adaptive that turns off vsync when you are not hitting your refresh rate max and turns it on when you do to help mitigate screen tearing.

The next gen of display's once more avaliable will support a technology called gsync which turns vsync on its head by having the display sync up to your gpu instead to further eliminate frame hitching and screen tear.
Career Officer
# 325
05-23-2014, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3xr34p3r View Post
It locks the gpu to your display max refresh rate and any extra frames once on are not rendered.

In nvidia there are two options there is the old always on vsync and the newer adaptive that turns off vsync when you are not hitting your refresh rate max and turns it on when you do to help mitigate screen tearing.

The next gen of display's once more avaliable will support a technology called gsync which turns vsync on its head by having the display sync up to your gpu instead to further eliminate frame hitching and screen tear.
Ah! Thank you
Admiral Rednall
* Server Hamster - This time it's personal *
Lt. Commander
# 326
05-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3xr34p3r View Post

Only issue with Gsync is that it's a proprietary based hardware for Nvidia GPUs Only, meaning if you want it your forced to use one of there newer video cards to make it work :/. Personally I am getting tired of all this proprietary bs from them lolz.
Survivor of Romulus
# 327
05-24-2014, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureleus View Post
Only issue with Gsync is that it's a proprietary based hardware for Nvidia GPUs Only, meaning if you want it your forced to use one of there newer video cards to make it work :/. Personally I am getting tired of all this proprietary bs from them lolz.
Not to mention that the last I heard, the monitor needs to have certain hardware installed as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
ARC: A way to Redeem Codes
Lt. Commander
# 328
05-25-2014, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
Not to mention that the last I heard, the monitor needs to have certain hardware installed as well.
I wasn't too sure on that point myself.
Survivor of Romulus
# 329
05-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprometheus79 View Post
I wasn't too sure on that point myself.
I was right. Here it is. It needs a piece of hardware to be fitted to the monitor, but to my knowledge only one monitor is able to mount such hardware and even then it needs to be retrofitted either by the user or the retailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
ARC: A way to Redeem Codes
Career Officer
# 330
05-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
I was right. Here it is. It needs a piece of hardware to be fitted to the monitor, but to my knowledge only one monitor is able to mount such hardware and even then it needs to be retrofitted either by the user or the retailer.

It's still early to recommended it as a must get item for a PC gamer but it's valid enough to at least keep an eye on it from my point of view when it comes to new tech.