Lt. Commander
I must say, as a LOOOOONG time Star Trek fan, I am having a BLAST with this game. I think they've done a great job, content wise, although the game is still a little rough around the edges. Here are some things I think Cryptic deserves credit for.

1) Tribbles that multiply. This is such a nice hat tip to the original series. I love it, it gives you the feeling you are in TOS world.

2) Aliens from each of the different series. I love that there's a mission with The Guardian from TOS, species 8472 (The Undine) from Voyager, Jem Hadar from DS9, the Crystalling Entity from TNG and augment characters from the Enterprise series. WOW. It's like an interactive Star Trek Disneyland.

3) Space ship and station architecture from TOS. Deep space K7 was such a blast from the past when I saw it's design. Nothing like finally being able to delve into the old Star Trek lore. It's also cool to be able to fly a ship that looks just like the original Enterprise as well as wear the original uniforms. Great detail.

4) Simple research missions that are very much what the Star Trek series was all about. Many times in ST, the crew was simply taking readings or investigating an anomoly in space. You didn't see much of that because it doesn't make for good tv but the missions that have that in it really give you a sence of being in the Star Trek world.

I'm only level 11 and I haven't seen it all but I'm having a great time so far!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I am also loving the game..

So keep on playing mate I am glad you enjoy it
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
-crickets-
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exyle View Post
I must say, as a LOOOOONG time Star Trek fan, I am having a BLAST with this game. I think they've done a great job, content wise, although the game is still a little rough around the edges. Here are some things I think Cryptic deserves credit for.

1) Tribbles that multiply. This is such a nice hat tip to the original series. I love it, it gives you the feeling you are in TOS world.

2) Aliens from each of the different series. I love that there's a mission with The Guardian from TOS, species 8472 (The Undine) from Voyager, Jem Hadar from DS9, the Crystalling Entity from TNG and augment characters from the Enterprise series. WOW. It's like an interactive Star Trek Disneyland.

3) Space ship and station architecture from TOS. Deep space K7 was such a blast from the past when I saw it's design. Nothing like finally being able to delve into the old Star Trek lore. It's also cool to be able to fly a ship that looks just like the original Enterprise as well as wear the original uniforms. Great detail.

4) Simple research missions that are very much what the Star Trek series was all about. Many times in ST, the crew was simply taking readings or investigating an anomoly in space. You didn't see much of that because it doesn't make for good tv but the missions that have that in it really give you a sence of being in the Star Trek world.

I'm only level 11 and I haven't seen it all but I'm having a great time so far!
What there's something they did right? where? lol

Just kidding, but really, space combat is fun, but that's about it.

The rest as you've pointed out are nice nods to StarTrek lore, BUT there's not enough other positive things to hold it all together to make it a good MMO. As it stands, it's a bland MMO, which lacks high production standards that the other A-class MMOs offer, which is sad since ST is such a MAJOR IPO.

They're also missing true Exploration. All areas are limited to tiny tiny maps. It's not a sandbox environment, which makes it sub par and crap in the overall scheme of things for replay, and overall immerssion into the universe they've created.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Hmm... the game has very nice graphics.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Space combat......

did I mention space combat?

Sadly that's only 1 element 1/10th of a mmorpg should be. The rest of the game is an incredible rip off.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Pink Phasers. Oh wait....
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2010, 01:29 AM
I think some of the right things were things they had to do correctly or lose canon which would lose some hard core fans so good job on that...

Dynamic feeling maps are a win
The diversity in the game spanning all the different Treks but still looking like they belong is a win
Decent plots is a win for sure, but would like to see more epic scenes like during a boss fight (wouldn't semi cinematic content like shuttles landing behind your antagonist or the systems sun collapsing behind you just be awesome???)

Multiple ship classes though still limited do have a wide range of styles. Still would like to see key ship classes like Excelsior Class and Nebula Class among others. Not really critical to me if they're never included but they're pretty typical no?

Over all I believe the game is fun enough to keep me subscribed once the server issues are hammered out and I think I'll have a fun time.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2010, 01:54 AM
I like the char creator Feds and Klingons, it's really cool to create peculiar looking aliens or sxy humans I LOOOVEEE IT, and have been longing for something with diversity like this, as opposed to manga style avatars with wings etc which seemed to be dominating every other MMO (exept maybe WARHAMMER)

I like the ground PvP, exept when I get killed by females or ankle biters grrrrrrrrrrr. I'd like it more if you automatically got put in a team when you joined, as an alien I often feel excluded by humans lol. This is only a minor thing and doesn't affect my game play but could improve it! I can't ask for help if I am not in a team.

I like hand picking my own bridge officers and customising their uniforms to match mine etc, it adds to the immersion for me, to see us all in matching outfits, LIKE A PROPER TEAM I hope this doesn't relate to Barbie syndrome where you like dresssing up, as I said it makes me feel more like a team when I see us all together!

I like the missions, I like exploration, there is no situation so far when I actually said "I don't like that"

Soon Rank 11 w00t ! Also I haven't even tried space PvP yet,

This game has a lot of potential, and I just find it fun no matter what I do, it is a nice change and so different from other MMOs I currently play. Definately more fun and less annoying/frustrating than other MMO's I have tried in the past too!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Totally agree, and for me most of it has been done right. Very happy with the game, having a balst with my fleet! Honestly the majority of people feel this way, it's just that they are all in game playing and enjoying themselves. This forum is the domain of the shouty minorty i'm afrad. Sarcasm dominates here rather than any real wit or intelligence. Although Kudo to those people that begin and contribute to threads in a constructive manner.