Lt. Commander
# 11
02-08-2010, 05:48 AM
The problem with filters is they will get around them. It is a bandaid fix. Same with ignore lists. There needs to be a ban hammer. Mail (in game and forum) as well as chat should only be allowed for lifetime and paying customers.

AND BAN them.

You sell gold or promote sites that do = Perma Banned Account.
You buy gold from ANYONE with real money = Perma Banned account.

It really is quite simple. If there is no demand and it is going to cost them 49.99 a crack to spam everyone If no one buys from them then they are loosing money. If they are loosing money they go away.

As long as nothing is actively being done there will be no change.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-08-2010, 05:58 AM
I wonder what kind of success the stogold spammers are having - it doesn't seem difficult to make whatever energy is necessary. Seems to me it's easier, more convenient, and more fun - to earn it than to set up an account somewhere and buy it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknob
I wonder what kind of success the stogold spammers are having - it doesn't seem difficult to make whatever energy is necessary. Seems to me it's easier, more convenient, and more fun - to earn it than to set up an account somewhere and buy it.
I've wondered that as well, and if the absurdly high prices on the Exchange aren't set by spammers trying to drive up business.

I for one hope that they are incurring massive losses, and will soon give up on STO for more lucrative markets.

I'm not going to hold my breath, though...
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknob
I wonder what kind of success the stogold spammers are having .
Not much, it would seem. The price for 100k's worth seems to be falling through the floor. When I started it was at $23, now I see it for as little as $12.

There's simply no need to buy anything in this game. Everything I've got has been aquired through drops and mission rewards. I'm doing fine as is and haven't had to spend a single credit yet.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
Not much, it would seem. The price for 100k's worth seems to be falling through the floor. When I started it was at $23, now I see it for as little as $12.

There's simply no need to buy anything in this game. Everything I've got has been aquired through drops and mission rewards. I'm doing fine as is and haven't had to spend a single credit yet.
True. Once a player gets past the initial Lt. Commander hump, the credits are easy to come by just by playing the game. Plus, a player can function quite nicely on just drops and quest rewards, so there isn't that much of a credit sink. Even better, a player can save the drops of their current level, and when they hit the next level, us the saved items to equip up their newly promoted bridge officers.

The quicker players figure out they don't need to grind fleet actions for loot, and can just play and make easy credits, the faster the gold farmers realize they're just spinning their wheels in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizaru
Sol and the sirius sector are te worst. Its not so bad outside of them, though some jerk sent me a tell for gold selling last night.
Last night I played about 2 hours on my klingon. No spam. Then I played with my girl about 3 hours on my Federation..... I got a personal message about every 20 minutes from a spammer. Obviously we know who the sheeple are buying this garbage from them. Ban all feds!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Choosing 'report spam' shouldn't put a goldseller on your ignore list.
ignore-lists should be more personal than that

heck, right now 'ignore player' and 'report spam' does exactly the same thing, as far as YOU are concerned...
only, one makes the other player ignored by you, the other makes you ignored by cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by galantir View Post
We need a bigger ignore list .
And here we go... no spam filters ingame but a limited ignorelist....

Pathetic
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleriel
Choosing 'report spam' shouldn't put a goldseller on your ignore list.
ignore-lists should be more personal than that

heck, right now 'ignore player' and 'report spam' does exactly the same thing, as far as YOU are concerned...
only, one makes the other player ignored by you, the other makes you ignored by cryptic.
Agreed, don't automatically add to ignore when I report would be grand as the farmers are just changing their account names every 20 minutes anyway. I'd be happy with report/delete combo so I don't have to go right into the remove from ignore list right afterwards.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-08-2010, 07:52 AM
The problem with clicking their names and reporting(or ignoring) is that we shouldn't have to see it to begin with if we had the ability to setup a filter. When I'm in combat and I'm getting slammed with PMs to buy nrg, I don't have the third hand and second mouse needed to righ-click a spammer's name.

Also, How are these people getting into the game? they're obviously not buying a new copy everytime they get banned(if they even are getting banned). Trial accounts?

disable trials from China, korea, russia, etc.. until this nonsense can be slowed down..