Lt. Commander
# 1 Lost and confused in space
02-08-2010, 05:24 AM
I admit, I am troubled. A great many things confuse me. Firstly, I am a science L9, Betazoid male.

My first question is, where are all these support and heal abilities I'm supposed to have? I dont have any. Am i supposed to customize my single science BO power and be happy? How do i know what bo powers to buy anyway?

Next, i run with max power to weapons, to blow stuff up quicker, this seems to work but am i doing it wrong?

Next, should i have more power in aux? Does this affect my sciency powers? (which i dont actually have anwyay).

Lastly, the ground situation is even worse, i have zero support or heal skills, why? I do have a tribble for ooc heal though - woo.

Any help would be appreciated, as you can see I am struggling?
Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 05:41 AM
At different ranks during Lt. you get extra skills, hit "P" and check your skill list - I've found they don't always appear on your hotlist. Can't say specifically since I havent a Science char.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 05:45 AM
search and read more posts here. Look at the stickys
I agree it is a bit confusing but learning the game is some of the fun for me. I just wish the galactic map was useful and that we had a computer on board that would remember where we have been so we could search and use it for navigation.

Good luck, I wish I had some answers for you but I am lost and learning <laugh>
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiroVai View Post
I admit, I am troubled. A great many things confuse me. Firstly, I am a science L9, Betazoid male.

My first question is, where are all these support and heal abilities I'm supposed to have? I dont have any. Am i supposed to customize my single science BO power and be happy? How do i know what bo powers to buy anyway?

Stay calm You get way more specials as you level up. Keep checking your 'P' skill list every time you do and you'll notice new ones (like the one that knocks out the enemy bridge crew hehe) show up regularly. Well ok, infrequently but still. On the ground you get more specials on kits as you get higher Mark's. A mark IV (which you'll start picking up when you hit level 11) comes with 3 specials for example.

As for which boff powers to pick up that's a huge guide unto itself. Everyone's opinion is different.

If you're science this seasons popular choices are:

Science Team; Jam Sensors; Viral Matrix; Energy Syphon, Tachyon Beam. Grab Emergency power to weapons and shields and Reverse shield polarity on your engineers. Tactical you'll probably be safe with Attack pattern Beta and High yield torpedoe's. There ya go.

For ground, If I can offer 1 work of advice it's .. actually 2 words of advice I'm fickle. Always take a science officer with medical tricorder (healer) and at least 2 Engineers. Give your engineers every turret you can get your hands on, phasers, shields, mortars, healstations, drones, the lot. Engineers make the ground game both hilarious and safe.

Next, i run with max power to weapons, to blow stuff up quicker, this seems to work but am i doing it wrong?

[COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"] Works for me.[/color]

Next, should i have more power in aux? Does this affect my sciency powers? (which i dont actually have anwyay).

[COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]It affects certain sciency powers (tractor beam, Tachyon beam, transfer shields) *but* as you get higher in level, you get a bonus to aux anyway (looks like a green bar of extra energy). I'm level 22 this time round and I run Aux at 25 and it's currently green-barred up to 50. So don't worry about Aux so much. Handy tip tho, if you get Energy Syphon and hit a ship with this *first*, it ups your Aux level, then hit 'em with your other sciency powers. Win Win.[/color]

Lastly, the ground situation is even worse, i have zero support or heal skills, why? I do have a tribble for ooc heal though - woo.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"] See notes above. [/color]

Any help would be appreciated, as you can see I am struggling?
Thanks
Nae worries dude.

Shox.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 05:54 AM
First of all, captains get their own set of unique powers in space (and on the ground), but these active abilities are only awarded as you level up.

At Lt. 9 you probably only have Sensor Sweep in space and...some Tricorder debuff thing...on the ground. These may not appear automatically in your toolbar; open your powers window (press P) and drag-drop them into a slot. Do this for space and ground.

However, these powers aren't heals - they are debuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiroVai View Post
Am i supposed to customize my single science BO power and be happy? How do i know what bo powers to buy anyway?
Healing powers in space are from Bridge Officers. In space, you will want:

Shield Healing

Engineering BO Powers: Extend Shields
Science BO Powers: Science Team, Transfer Shield Strength

Hull Healing

Engineering BO Powers: Engineering Team
Science BO Powers: Hazard Emitters

As you can see, you will need to use both Engineering and Science BOs for healing in space. Now, obviously you only have one Engineering slot and one Science slot in your starter starship as a Lieutenant - but if you go Cruiser or Science ship, you get more Engineering and Science BO slots.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with this...but it depends on the situation. See next answer.

Quote:
Aux power settings, in general, do buff the effectiveness of your science powers. I'd recommend keeping aux at least 50 (preferably higher!) if you're using science powers. The effect is more obvious for debuff powers, though; I don't know how essential high aux is if you're healing. Probably not very.

Quote:
Lastly, the ground situation is even worse, i have zero support or heal skills, why?
Because you're not equipping the right kit. Again, while you get some powers for free on the ground, simply by being a Science captain, those free powers are DEBUFFS.

For healing stuff, you need to equip a healing kit. That changes your power loadout. You want a kit with stuff like Triage (AoE heal, long cooldown), Medical Tricorder (Single target heal, short cooldown), Vascular Regenerator (Heal-over-time)