Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 51
02-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bot
I used to work tech support at a gaming studio (Microprose, we made x-com, falcon 3.0, st:botf among others). My favorite tech call was from a grandma asking where she was supposed to insert her game disk to play Tetris, all she could find in her computer was the pull-out cup holder.
Wow, someone ACTUALLY referred to it as the cupholder? I wish this was a joke, but working in tech support myself, I'm not too sure...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 52
02-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavau
Ohh Update,

Guy changes his password, then forgets it and locks himself out of his system all in a matter of 5 minutes. Ohh and this guy is one of my Boss's
We have a system here (nhs) that if a user forgets their password, they call us, we 'admin' in and it generates a random p/word that we give to the user.

They then type that in, the system then flashes up a new random password for the user for about 5 seconds.

The user then needs to put that 2nd password in to access the system.

I had a woman yesterday who got to the 2nd password, wrote it down and then typed it in. Incorrectly. Twice.

A 6 character code that appears in large letters for 5 seconds, and she was unable to copy it down and then type it out correctly.

"Oh, but I'm no good with computers"

ITS READING AND F***ING WRITING. it's not difficult. Honest.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 53
02-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarzGurl View Post
Wow, someone ACTUALLY referred to it as the cupholder? I wish this was a joke, but working in tech support myself, I'm not too sure...
Yeah, I took the call, no joke. About 10 years ago, but no joke. Still makes me raff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 54
02-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bot
I used to work tech support at a gaming studio (Microprose, we made x-com, falcon 3.0, st:botf among others). My favorite tech call was from a grandma asking where she was supposed to insert her game disk to play Tetris, all she could find in her computer was the pull-out cup holder.
I got that beat.

I used to work hardware support (Best Buy Product Service Plan) (I honestly had 2 or 3 Cupholder calls...)

One day I get a call from an elderly lady who had just purchased her first computer. She couldn't figure out what to do after turning it on. (This was a brand new Windows 98 machine) After a few minutes of getting the basic information, she tells me her foot pedal doesn't work.

I'm thinking, "Foot pedal...she has a Thrustmaster setup for her grandkids or something..."

Not exactly something we supported at the time. So I explain the general usage of the keyboard and mouse....she interrupts me...with "What's a mouse?"

...

Ok...I explain to her what a mouse is, and that it's used to move the cursor around the screen...She had thought that was a foot pedal, and couldn't figure out how to get it to do anything.

Recently I had a customer call up with IE in Offline Mode deal....Couldn't figure out how to get online...

I don't know who all uses IE8...but it will do one of 2 things.....First it may pop up a box saying you are in Offline mode, and you have the option to take it out of offline mode and continue.

Second...if that doesn't pop up...you get the IE8 Offline mode local error page....which actually tells you step by step exactly how to fix it. This is the screen the customer had....


So he tells me he can't pull pages...I ask him to read me exactly what it says on the screen....and I tell him to do exactly what it says...and voila...he's pulling pages....

However...My all time favorite....This happened probably back in 2002/3003.

Lady calls up on her cell phone. She can't connect to the internet. Ok. So proceed normal troubleshooting steps...

Note: Not exact conversation...but the minimal answers on the customer's part is basically accurate....

Me: Does it provide an error message?
Customer: No.

Me: What's on the screen right now?
Customer:I can't see anything.

Me: Ok. Can you click on your dialer, and attempt to connect to get an error message?
Customer: No. I can't see. The lights are off.

Me: Ok.. Can you turn the light on?
Customer: No. Power's out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 55
02-09-2010, 06:53 AM
After two massive snowstorms, and another on the way, I am the only one from my program office at work today (and then only till noon). With the Fed Gov't shutdown here in DC, I literally have nothing to do but hold down the fort. Next viable work day may not be till next tuesday
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 56
02-09-2010, 07:05 AM
When the last big hurricaine hit Galveston, we had outages all across Texas. Even up in Dallas, for some reason, since some of the offices that run Dallas got hit by storm weather. So, we'd get callers all the time wondering why their services didn't work. I'd get things like this:

"Why are my services down?"
"There's a hurricaine. You might even want to evacuate."
"How am I supposed to know to evacuate if I don't have my TV service!?"

Or, after the hurricaine was over but before the Coast Guard could come in to help clean things up...

"They just let us back into our homes. Where's my services?"
"Power's out at our offices. Wires and poles are still down."
"But I have a generator!"
"That's nice, ma'am. You have electricity. We don't."
"Get a technician out here!"
"I'd love to. But, one, they aren't letting us. Two, there currently aren't ROADS to drive up on. Three, they wouldn't be able to repair it at your home because they have to repair phone lines and our offices first, because THAT'S where the problem is, not at your home."
"I want to speak to your supervisor!"
"...Please hold." -_-
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 57
02-09-2010, 07:31 AM
In on this.

Absolutely nothing to do today.

So I'm forcing myself to write along with surfing the forums.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 58
02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
BORED AGAIN! Yay...

I'm loving these costomer service stories.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 59
02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarzGurl View Post
When the last big hurricaine hit Galveston, we had outages all across Texas. Even up in Dallas, for some reason, since some of the offices that run Dallas got hit by storm weather. So, we'd get callers all the time wondering why their services didn't work. I'd get things like this:

"Why are my services down?"
"There's a hurricaine. You might even want to evacuate."
"How am I supposed to know to evacuate if I don't have my TV service!?"

Or, after the hurricaine was over but before the Coast Guard could come in to help clean things up...

"They just let us back into our homes. Where's my services?"
"Power's out at our offices. Wires and poles are still down."
"But I have a generator!"
"That's nice, ma'am. You have electricity. We don't."
"Get a technician out here!"
"I'd love to. But, one, they aren't letting us. Two, there currently aren't ROADS to drive up on. Three, they wouldn't be able to repair it at your home because they have to repair phone lines and our offices first, because THAT'S where the problem is, not at your home."
"I want to speak to your supervisor!"
"...Please hold." -_-

People like that is why I don't do customer service jobs anymore. Can't count how many times I've been accused of making the wrong sandwhich/Pizza or when I was in my wire pulling job, cutting someone's phone line when it was obvious the person didn't know how to operate a phone.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 60
02-09-2010, 08:01 AM
I have had the cup holder issue with a customer, and i can one up the power is out problem.

the customer had plugged into the same wall panel her computer and a lamp. the lamp was placed where it caused glare on the screen when on. she suddenly started having trouble turning her pc on after deciding to leave the light out while using the pc. anyhow i was doing house calls (retail pc tech with an inhome option) i got out to the house and was looking at things, went to turn on said lamp so I could see better, and no light turning on. it was on a wall switch >.< so of course she would "turn off the light" and in the same time cut power to her pc ... gee i wonder why the pc stopped working ..... and then she was upset that the only way to use her computer was with the "lamp on and causing glare" ... why she couldn't move the lamp or better, turn it off at the lamp itself i have no idea /sigh basicly the one up part is that the "power outage" was user caused and common sense would have told ANYONE that if the light on the same ciruit turns off, then the pc probably will too.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:17 AM.