Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
We need some kind of meaningful open pvp area. Even if it's end-game pvp.

I keep thinking back to how Starfleet Command 2 and SFC3 had such a fun campaign setup. Though it was a hex-based map, you coud team up with 2 buddies and fight enemy NPCs to flip each location. There were even starbase & planet attack situations. Of course, the enemy would always show up once they saw where you were. The 3v3 battles were a blast. Having an unconquerable base area for each side (safe zone) and lots of space in between to claim for your side in some kind of sector block.

I'm hoping to see something similar to this after the Klingons get some PvE content. There's a war going on, ya know.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 06:56 AM
I agree. We're a PvP faction, so it makes sense for there to be a persistent PvP environment. The waits for instanced PvP are increasing and varied due to the dependency on Fed player interest and numbers. Making it persistent would lessen that side effect.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 06:58 AM
we wont see anything like that until there is a reson for PvP.

what do we get by controlling territory ?

so to speak, when we get the area... WHAT THEN ?

just to get a blue blob as a fed in some space, what then ?

--

and then again, every battle that is over 5vs5 is unbalanced on Feds favor (big arc weapons, initial alpha etc, talked about it in OB and prelaunch).

so all area control battles have to be weighted in amount of battles and max team size is 5vs5.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodlance View Post
we wont see anything like that until there is a reson for PvP.

what do we get by controlling territory ?

so to speak, when we get the area... WHAT THEN ?

just to get a blue blob as a fed in some space, what then ?

--

and then again, every battle that is over 5vs5 is unbalanced on Feds favor (big arc weapons, initial alpha etc, talked about it in OB and prelaunch).

so all area control battles have to be weighted in amount of battles and max team size is 5vs5.
I think you missed the point, since the OP was basically answering your question. Persistent PvP in the vein of PotBS with a large map or series of PvP only sectors, populated with bases and resources that can be captured. Those bases and resources will have an impact. For example, owning most of the bases gives that side the ability to spot all enemy vessels on the sector map. Owning most the resources in a sector allows for better loot drops in battle. Simple, yet very effective.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 07:20 AM
what loot drops ?

we dont have PvE loot drops .... ive gotten 1 green item while farming T1, T2 and now T3 Nebulas as Klingon.

rest is white items only and 20840985209589258 batterys.

( the loot tables just dont have blue or purpl loots )

PLUS, when resources are introduced, we need crafting. thus meaning that its an expansion the OP is talking about.

and that happens AFTER the other 2 factions are in.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodlance View Post
what loot drops ?

we dont have PvE loot drops .... ive gotten 1 green item while farming T1, T2 and now T3 Nebulas as Klingon.

rest is white items only and 20840985209589258 batterys.

( the loot tables just dont have blue or purpl loots )

PLUS, when resources are introduced, we need crafting. thus meaning that its an expansion the OP is talking about.

and that happens AFTER the other 2 factions are in.
You're obviously not getting this. That's okay, but I don't have time to explain this any further at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 03:20 PM
On an unrelated noted, do you come up with that Klingon Proverb by yourself, El Cid? I really like it.

I really think this is a fantastic idea, the hexes and resources. Alternatively I'd like there to an open sector space where coming in contact with an opposing ship would trigger a battle. It would then be treated like any other PVP match but in sector space there would be some icon showing that a PVP match was in progress. Other players could join in on the match by run into these battle signs. Imagine flying through a sector, seeing countless little battle icons and knowing you're surronded by war....
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian-Thorn View Post
I really think this is a fantastic idea, the hexes and resources. Alternatively I'd like there to an open sector space where coming in contact with an opposing ship would trigger a battle. It would then be treated like any other PVP match but in sector space there would be some icon showing that a PVP match was in progress. Other players could join in on the match by run into these battle signs. Imagine flying through a sector, seeing countless little battle icons and knowing you're surronded by war....
Yes, something like that.

It doesn't necessarily have to be hex-based, but we need multiple locations in which control can be "flipped". Points could be awarded for participation in flipping them and rewards given every week or so for such accomplishments.

The best thing I've ever seen, to spice up PvP, was in Warhammer Online. The open pvp areas were ghost towns until rewards were put in. Considering that these rewards were some of the best items you could get for that tier, everyone started playing there. So the carrot & stick rewards would have to be there, too.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 06:09 AM
I support the taking of systems along neutral zones that unlock crap like crafting mats and vendors who sell awesome stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian-Thorn View Post
On an unrelated noted, do you come up with that Klingon Proverb by yourself, El Cid? I really like it.
This is from the book The Final Reflection, written by the man who designed the first culture and history of the Klingons, John Ford. I tend to prefer his insight to Moore's, though Moore had the tremendous advantage of a TV series to proselytize his version. Ford was the man who created the basis of the Klingon culture for the FASA game system in the 1980s. It was canon until ST:TNG arrived and Moore made his own version of the Klingons.