Lt. Commander
# 41
02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Well. Again - not saying it can't be done; only that it's a bloody difficult thing to do.

Everyone is there to be entertained.

Everyone is there expecting to matter.

Everyone is expecting to be the winner at least or more then 50% of the time.

If things are regulated by objectives (like T1-2 do this, while higher tiers do that and whatnot) or numbers (a "battleforce" is limited to 1-2xT5, 4-6xT4...15-20xT1) then yes...But in all out free for all? In an MMO, where the top dog is beyond invincible to the little guy? .....

Anyway. Good idea. Cannot be unregulated. It will otherwise turn into "Maxed out participants only kthx"-club.

No one wants to lose or be killed just by default which is how the things will be if there is no regulation on what can fight what and how.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Something else to keep in mind:

If a death penalty is eventually in place, there should be no penalty for pvp deaths. At all.

That, along with very nice PvP rewards, usually gets quite a few people hooked on it who otherwise wouldn't have bothered.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousCoal View Post
We need some kind of meaningful open pvp area. Even if it's end-game pvp.
Agreed 100%
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
Suggested what exactly?!?!?1

To what extent are they looking at it...details, details. A bunch of Borg resources missions woul dbite...granted thats all Ive seen...Im a Klingon.
Well, I don't know exactly what Jack had in mind, but he clearly said "Open PvP", even said it here in the PvP forum.

But what I suggested was basically between Klingon and Federation Space, there is a Literal Neutral zone thats a Sector Map, broken into Sub Sectors where differnet PvP fields are. So people can zone in these zones (in seperate spots of course) and fight whom and where they want. Like someone hiding out in an asteroid field or in the poles of a planet.

Or perhaps they could beam down to that very planet, where there are seperate zones to PvP in. One could be a Mountainous zone, another could be a beach, or perhaps you fight for some rare relic in some old school MMO Dungeon with creatures and traps. (Still Trek).

So there we go, real PvP that's on our terms, not Cryptic's canned hunts. So Fed Balls would only exist in Fleet vs Fleet Combat. No spawn camping. And you could actually have territory control.

BTW, if you kill someone, the loot will be PvP badges to turn in, just like we automatically have currently.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-11-2010, 04:15 AM
How about my idea...would be a generall overhaul with open pvp that would go fine for you Klingons. I play as Fed but open pvp would be nice.

Care to read ?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=112123
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-12-2010, 09:57 AM
I have guildmates from other games asking me how STO is.

I know it's fun but the content just isn't filled out. An open, meaningful PvP zone is the biggest thing holding back my recommendation.

Has there been any mention from the devs about something like this yet?
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Coming in a 2013 patch.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhaon View Post
Coming in a 2013 patch.
We'll have real warp drives by then