Lt. Commander
# 11
02-08-2010, 08:30 AM
You dont need to rush it. Its very fast leveling in this game. If you play 8 hours a day then you will hit 45 pretty fast.
Ive enjoyed every bit of it so far and Im captain 3. I do the episode quests mixed up with random exploration quests. Its a lot of fun. I expect to hit 45 by the end of this week.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
I guess that Star Trek Online has taken the KISS (Keep it stupid simple) down to a new low level .

Just feeling disappointed at a game that had so much promise to be a great game but lacking any challenge or deeper content.
It's not the game's fault, it's yours. You see, you are simply smarter, faster, and downright better than 99.99% of the player base and this game is no challenge for your intellectual superiority.

My suggestion is to create a game that caters to the uber gamers like yourself, and that way you guys can enjoy a true challenge that rewards geniuses of your caliber.

Perhaps MENSA Online as a name?

Good luck with the venture, please let us know where to send our prodigy friends.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I have one character who is a Commander 2 and am working on an alt which is not Lt 7. I prefer not to do episode missions (Story line missions) solo. I wait for my friends to do them together. It is far more enjoyable to have friends around when doing these missions. I COULD easily solo these missions but it is not an fun and I choose to make the game as fun as I can.

I have done some limited PVP but I"m not a huge pvp player and so far the pvp in this game doesn't grab me. I wish it did. I am happier in games with pvp when there is a reason for me to pvp. A reason that doesn't involve just getting loot for more pvp. A story driven reason that gives me some motivation to care who wins these fights. I hope STO eventually gets there.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
Right, so I am lvl 42, might have played a bit more than the casual player but I am really disappointed with what I've seen this far. Here are some downers.

* PvP is pointless, you get some xp and nothing else, hardly worth doing really.I dont get any drawback, I dont lose anything and there is no RISK involved whatsoever. The ONLY reason for pvp is to help klingon players to lvl, nothing more. Guess this was the cheap and fast way to make a klingon race playable before release, its really and I mean it, really sad. Cryptic has in this part utterly failed and I guess that the rumors about releasing the game in time to get the big bucks from ATARI is the reason for this.

* Lvling is far to easy, its more like a single player game with very few missions needing more than ... 1 player to complete. You move through the tiers fast and actually, the challenge rate is low at best. I fear to get up to 50 because I doubt that there will be much to do apart from repeating the repeatable missions over and over again, hoarding credits that I really have no use for atm. If there really isnt any end-game content, I really dont think I will stick around a game that I played through within the first 30 days just to not have anything to do.

* The skill system is alright I guess but WHERE do I find what each skill ACTUALLY do/give me? Documentation is rare in best case, and hardly informative. The "crafting" is a joke, you really dont know what to do or how many times you need to do it or anything, not to mention that the items take a huge part of the bank/ship slots.

* Rubberbanding, while somewhat expected, during peak hours it is REALLY BAD, not to mention the queues, havent experienced that since the early days of WoW.

Overall, I feel quite unhappy with what I found in the game content wise, just same old missions with new factions repeated over and over again.

I guess that Star Trek Online has taken the KISS (Keep it stupid simple) down to a new low level .

Just feeling disappointed at a game that had so much promise to be a great game but lacking any challenge or deeper content.
PVP - Most always pointless in the very begining of a MMO that is not PVP based. (Look at WoW)

Lvling - Probably so easy because it is the only thing in the game to do.

Skills/Documentation - Agree 100%

Rubberbanding - Thoroughly expected.

The non-storyline quests repeat just like all MMO quests do, I feel bad for the folks that were expecting differently. There are only so many ways they can put out quests in the time they had, they opted for a main storyline quests that where unique while the rest were re-hashed throughout the game.

I'll admit this game is a bit thin in the quest department, comparing it to WoW when it first came out, it seemed WoW had far more things to do. But if you looked at the time frame Cyptic had, they had to cut the content and keep it simple just to keep deadlines. I will blame this on CBS, they should have handed the IP to an established company(instead of probably taking the lowest bidder).

Just imagine if STO had started been developed by Cryptic back in 2004 and released in 2010. I think it would have been amazing, and it could have possibly been ready for release right about the time of the newest movie.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-08-2010, 08:45 AM
You're not getting any sympathy from me either. I love star trek online, but I'm not going to play for hours and hours on end just so I can max to admiral faster than anything else. I am only at Lieutenant Level Nine, should reach Lieutenant Commander this week. It's going to be so sweet when I reach Lt. Commander on my schedule and not rushing through it so I can go on the forums and brag about how boring it is. Really, come on guys, if its that boring for you, try a new character in a different career path.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-08-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure I agree that WoW had all that much more to do at launch. STO has patrol missions, episodic missions, repeatable defend the sector missions, repeatable exploration missions, repeatable fleet missions and pvp. There are a lot of things to do. I wish there were more social things to do, I wish there were some more non combat things to do and I hope those things come along with additional story driven content. But there is a variety of missions types to choose from.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-08-2010, 08:52 AM
As a long time MMORPG player these posts crack me up. Stop going 100mph until you hit the wall and stop to smell the roses a tad. The foundation for the game is in place and it will just get better update after update.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-08-2010, 08:57 AM
@Aerodi

This game already exists, EVE Online

As for the OP, I do understand why he's reacting this way even though I don't necessarily agree with all of it. There are hardcore PvP'ers and casual PvP'ers. This is more casual PvP, like you play poker with matches instead of money. If you win, you just win. For those that's seeking death and destruction, I can understand it is not their cup of tea. But as said before, Klingons were not ready for launch so we got them as-is. They will get a boost in the near future, also PvE story missions.

Leveling is actually far too easy for the experienced gamer, as you get XP thrown at you from all sides for the smallest mission. There are in general three kinds of dominant players here as far as I can see. Those that actively pursue missions and thus get their XP fast, those that like to roleplay and/or do it all with their buddies which may progress more slowly and those that are totally new to the game and possibly genre and they will fly around and generally level slower and quite possibly enjoy the game more. There are also players with the combination of the elements above.

But when a mission gives you 400 XP and you need 1200 to gain another level, plus the XP you gain within the mission itself, it is a bit easier to level than most MMO's I have played. I wish I could've had more time to enjoy my first Cruiser for example, but after two days (real time, not game time) I got promoted and then it was on to the next one. I was expecting perhaps to use one week real-time per ship when playing on average 6 hours a day. But I am by no means disappointed, I love the game as it is. It's just different from what I am used to, like EVE.

There is indeed a lack of documentation of several aspects of the game, but I reckon after a while lots of fansites/wikisites will pop up that helps with that. I do wish though that some of the more informative posts would get stickied, there are several that's been lost in the great void and thus questions get asked again and again. Crafting could have been better, but who knows perhaps they will expand on it in the future. I think they will.

Rubberbanding is just part of the launch, it will subside after a while. Most MMO's have these kinds of issues when faced with lots of subscribers before they make adjustments and optimization to the game/hardware/network.

All in all I think in six months this game will be a lot different from what it is now. They will change and expand on several aspects. Missions will get rewritten, added, modified. New races will be playable, new areas will be unlocked and so on. Allow this game to grow, be patient, and it has the possibility to be one of the greatest MMO's even though it is a casual one.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiozo View Post
You dont need to rush it. Its very fast leveling in this game. If you play 8 hours a day then you will hit 45 pretty fast.

Are you living in the same reality as the rest of us? 8 Hours is what people call hardcore gaming. It's the same time you would put into a full time job.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiozo View Post
Ive enjoyed every bit of it so far and Im captain 3. I do the episode quests mixed up with random exploration quests. Its a lot of fun. I expect to hit 45 by the end of this week.

Are you living in the same reality as the rest of us? 8 Hours is what people call hardcore gaming. It's the same time you would put into a full time job.
I think he meant that it was not needed to rush the game and play 8 hours a day. Not that he played 8 hours a day

Personally I think hardcore gaming is 8+. Back in the university days I could easily play Planetarion (anyone remember that one?) for 12-16 hours a day Now a days, because of work and such, I get perhaps 5-6 hours a day on weekdays and 12-14 hours a day in weekends if time and wife allows