Lt. Commander
# 1 Farming and a solution
02-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Over the weekend I entered SB24 in my Miranda to get some kills and try and get some blues (in beta I was in the top 3 pretty much every time)

when lo and behold

A captain entered in his uber ship and began 1 shotting the enemies, its not too hard to guess who came number 1

Then I found out that Higher level toons are often entering the lower level fleet action merely to farm the instance for skill points for bridge officers or themselves.

It was then that I hit on a solution.

If you are +5 levels above your target you will not gain skills for the kills. you should never be more than 5 levels from each 'farmable' action.
obviously the best way would be to make each fleet action accessible only by a certain rank, thus keeping the difficulty level up.

also a solution to stop people DSE farming XP would be to make it that if you try to instance hop, a new instance opens for you rather than you being able to select an instance.

So I finish my instance, timer is at 5mins, i change instance a new instance opens for me with a 1 min timer to begin, for that 1 min, every other person instance hopping will enter my instance (to max of 5) then the moment it hits 5 the instance action will begin.

For teams , they would have the isntance to themselves, thus allowing a team of 5 to complete the DSE encounters together.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 05:19 AM
With all the instances avalible, why are you so upset about guys farming stuff for their officers or to make a few creds.

Why is it that if they dont grind out xp they way you think they should, then the system should be changed?

Game styles are diff across the board, you cant dictate to someone how they can play, why would you want the devs to do it?

Seriously, when you can change instance easily it gives you the freedom to play your way, if you need stuff, you can go get it, if you want to grind up faster for more fire power to do your quests with , why should you be limited?

To date I havent seen any one person run instance after instance, I know I drop thru all the defend and deep space stuff so I can farm a bit, and make a lil xp, but thats how you do it in any mmo
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 05:24 AM
I dont really see why people would farm like that because i went through SB24 and only get mk ii items which is pretty much useless on a tier 2 ship.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by petie86 View Post
I dont really see why people would farm like that because i went through SB24 and only get mk ii items which is pretty much useless on a tier 2 ship.
Sell loot, go to store buy what you need, rince repeat as needed
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 05:31 AM
I have no problem getting no skill points by visiting earlier actions. And let people of the appropriate level get drops.

But you should always allow people to go back and do activities they may have missed.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Quote:
But for a new player in a Miranda those MKII Blues amke a huge difference to them, for a Captain farming Blues that sell for ooh 10k each?

run an instance 10 times, take 50 mins =100K = 1 transaction for a goldseller

anyone seeing the light yet? or would you like me to turn it up a little brighter?

by making low level fleet actions accessible to Admirals and Captains who can out DPS every other low level player your giving the Gold Farmers their farms to obtain the credits they need.

sadly in any MMO these areas are great for real players, but are too often giving a goldmine for Farmers, thus to stamp out the RMT business you need to impose limits on higher level and lower level player interactions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
sadly during beta when i hit 16 i use to farm them you got uncommon and some rare weapons and consoles which at the time where the best other than say quest rewards. Now i don't see an issue with farming for xp it is indeed part of an mmo. I don't farm them i do explosration missions but thats just me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2010, 05:37 AM
The only reason this is really a problem for fleet actions is the fact that the loot at the end is tied to the score, and the score is tied to damage.

So every time someone in a higher tier ship comes and "farms" the fleet action, people in level-appropriate ships aren't able to get the items that they can actually use.

The solution to this is twofold:

1. We need more higher-level fleet actions. If people had level-appropriate stuff to go do, they wouldn't be as apt to come back and "farm" lower-level content.

2. The scoring system needs to be adjusted. There's been a million threads on this topic. If it were up to me, I would just add a check to see what a player's ship is, and if the ship is too high for the content, nullify their score. If someone wants to hang on to their old Miranda and occasionally use it in Starbase 24 to help out the new folks, more power to them. But they shouldn't be rolling up to that fight in their Defiant-class and expecting to get anything from it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2010, 05:41 AM
yup earlier today I ran crystal entity to as a LTC to find a CMD+5 sitting there one shotting him with ram always getting #1 DPS and always getting the best loot... I stayed for 3 runs of the instance, and others in the zone said he has been there for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badem View Post
But for a new player in a Miranda those MKII Blues amke a huge difference to them, for a Captain farming Blues that sell for ooh 10k each?
1) You will be in a Miranda for around 10-15 hours. Once you rank up you will replace all those mk II blues with mk IV whites. The fleet action loot currently isn't worth it unless you top the list. And the people who are going to top the list are those closest to ranking, who don't need the gear and will therefore sell it.

2) 10k? I have white drops at Commander that sell for more than 10k to vendors. If you think 10k is anything but pocket change you haven't played enough. I think I have earned something close to 600k energy by Cmdr 3. I waste it by pimping out my ship with white straight away off the exchange instead of waiting for drops.

3) Anyone who actually buys energy is a drooling moron. 100k energy is worth about 10 Wow gold in terms of how long it takes to farm that much energy. I personally doubt the gold sellers are making money atm and are just speculating.