Lt. Commander
Its been quite a few times, you want to do something, it loads in the zone and throws you off the server. I know, I know, you have 1 million accounts blah blah, well can't you just make it so instead of throwing us completely out of the game it would say - AREA IS FULL, PLEASE COME BACK LATER and put us back where we just were. Its very unprofessional when it just plain disconnects you from the game and puts you back into log in window only because the area you were supposed to zone in is FULL. And worst thing is that you can't just log back in and play. Its STUCK on zoning into that full zone for at least 5 minutes. So you are dumbed out of the game and then have to wait 5-10 minutes until your ship is finally back in the holodeck. COME ON!

IT'S TIME TO DO THINGS PROFESSIONALLY, CRYPTIC.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 09:41 AM
dream on buddy...bend over and take it like man. u have been had like the rest of us.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I hope there will be some improvements. Its kinda stupid from the game perspective that I do an exploration missions and I zone into the sector anomaly and being disconnected only becouse that particula - The XYZ system 12345 is full. Why can't they put a condition that verifies if zone is full and instead of trying to zone us into the full zone would just give us a message that this instance is full, find some other. Yeah i am repeating myself, I know.

I'll try to bump this for a few days to get this going.

its not like i am spamming, this is an ongoing issue that interrupts game play because of the lack of login functions in place.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
You aren't getting disconnected because a zone is full. The "zone" can't get full they are just instances and are dynamically created depending on player demand. You are getting disconnected because the master server that allocates instances is overloaded and dropping your connection or the connection servers are overloaded and dropping connection.

Disconnections are an error state.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
You aren't getting disconnected because a zone is full. The "zone" can't get full they are just instances and are dynamically created depending on player demand. You are getting disconnected because the master server that allocates instances is overloaded and dropping your connection or the connection servers are overloaded and dropping connection.

Disconnections are an error state.
It doesn't really matter what happens on their end. If they know what happens they supposed to be able to redirect us to the working part of the game. its not a big problem to redirect us back to the working instance where we jsut came from and have a popup message letting us know that whatever we are doing is not available right now.

Who cares about the technical side of the problem. Imagine you sell an application to a big corporation, do you think they will just ignore these 5-10 minute downtimes, then log in again and continue their work? "Oh yeah guys sold us this software, the master server has no available instances or account server has no available connections so we just need to wait for 10 minutes and then we will be able to log in again, we can work on something else before we go there again."

I know its doable from the technical prospective. If there are not enough connections available, or not enough instances on master server, it doesn't really matter. They can just prevent us from accessing that part of the game and let us know that we should come back later so we can just turn the ship around and go somewhere else until then. They've added the game queue, similarly they can make this happen as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroNavigator
It doesn't really matter what happens on their end. If they know what happens they supposed to be able to redirect us to the working part of the game. its not a big problem to redirect us back to the working instance where we jsut came from and have a popup message letting us know that whatever we are doing is not available right now.
Read what I wrote. It is a "big problem" to redirect you back when the server that is responsible for doing so is overloaded and so has dropped your connection. MMO servers aren't magic pixie boxes that can function no matter what happens. The instance you were just in doesn't exist once you leave it and the resources used to run that instance have already been allocated to another instance.

Being disconnected from the server is a failure mode. It means the master controller is overloaded and has either deliberately or accidentally dropped your connection.

You have an incorrect assumption about the internals of this game compared to other styles of MMO infrastructure.

There isn't X number of Sol starbase instances and if those are all full you get disconnected. The number is dynamic and depends on player demand. Right now most players are in Sirius and Regulus sector block related instances. In a year most people will be the end game sector blocks. To repeat: There is no fixed number of any particular instance as new instances are spawned when needed. The problem right now is that the whole cluster is over loaded and so occasionally new instances can't be spawned and you get kicked off.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Read what I wrote. It is a "big problem" to redirect you back when the server that is responsible for doing so is overloaded and so has dropped your connection. MMO servers aren't magic pixie boxes that can function no matter what happens. The instance you were just in doesn't exist once you leave it and the resources used to run that instance have already been allocated to another instance.

Being disconnected from the server is a failure mode. It means the master controller is overloaded and has either deliberately or accidentally dropped your connection.

You have an incorrect assumption about the internals of this game compared to other styles of MMO infrastructure.

There isn't X number of Sol starbase instances and if those are all full you get disconnected. The number is dynamic and depends on player demand. Right now most players are in Sirius and Regulus sector block related instances. In a year most people will be the end game sector blocks. To repeat: There is no fixed number of any particular instance as new instances are spawned when needed. The problem right now is that the whole cluster is over loaded and so occasionally new instances can't be spawned and you get kicked off.
Sounds like a perfectly good reason not to use so many instances then.. Eh?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:

Why then it keeps me in that 'kicked off' state for 10 minutes? Say if I go from Zakhan cluster into one of the anomalies It wouldn't be a big problem if I could log right back in and find myself in Zakhan Cluster. Instead for 10 minutes I have to wait until that "failure mode" drops for my character. What you say makes sense. What happens after I am kicked off the server - doesn't. Its like it keeps my account in that limbo state of "failed connection". Anyway, I hope they do something. Its time to start taking things seriously for Cryptic.