Lt. Commander
# 21
02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTuxia View Post
I hate labels such geek, dork, jock etc as it limits people to certain cliques and from living in different parts of the world its one of the worst things the USA inflicted on itself and to some extent the rest of the world....,

Ah well...That probably makes me just weird as I love playing sports and expanding my mind.
how does the following definition of "geek" limit or exclude anyone of any locale or clique?

"a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc"
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Might be? HAH! I proudly and happily comfirm I am...
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmagnet
how does the following definition of "geek" limit or exclude anyone of any locale or clique?

"a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc"
Because of stereotypes . I had issues with being labeled a jock for my love of sports too, completely stupid as you well know.

Maybe I'm just rebelling against societies love of placing things in neat little bottles!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Because of stereotypes . I had issues with being labeled a jock for my love of sports too, completely stupid as you well know.

Maybe I'm just rebelling against societies love of placing things in neat little bottles!
well by my posted defionition you aren't a jock you are a sports geek

besides, all people put labels on others, some are more general labels then others but they still label.

i think it is because the human condition drives us to define things and people via a descriptor. it so happens some of these descriptors have taken on extra meanings such as geek or jock to shorten the descriptor "sports enthusiast"
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Quote:
well by my posted defionition you aren't a jock you are a sports geek

besides, all people put labels on others, some are more general labels then others but they still label.

i think it is because the human condition drives us to define things and people via a descriptor. it so happens some of these descriptors have taken on extra meanings such as geek or jock to shorten the descriptor "sports enthusiast"
I spend just as much time with Astronomy and science in general, and read fantasy books too! Dragonlance novels were amongst my favourites.

You are right about the human condition, but it is worse here than any place I've been outside the USA.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:
I spend just as much time with Astronomy and science in general, and read fantasy books too! Dragonlance novels were amongst my favourites.

You are right about the human condition, but it is worse here than any place I've been outside the USA.
so now you are a jock and a science geek :p did you give yourself wedgies and swirlies? just kidding

yeah the US tends to want to more narrowly define people from what i have seen then other countries.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Quote:
you know that middle one isn't that bad actually (the wall). and the apollo 11 mission patch, it just makes you a history buff

the comm-badge combined with the galaxy-class with the gryphon ... those are what make you a geek

me, my desk is covered in chachki (tchotchke) from my and my parents various travel souvineers. A small goodluck totem from hawaii, a dream-catcher from texas, a touch stone from ireland, some glasswork from italy, and on and on.
Actually the Apollo patch was one of the spares that ended up going to the moon and back in storage.
I think its amazing to have this little piece of space that flew further than most people travel their whole life in combined miles on my desk.

Don't let me start getting existential here

But you'll never guess out of the above which is my favorite thing on my desk.
(Well someone eventually will by elimination so you only get props if you guess it first and correctly )

(I think BTW that the touch stone from Ireland would be an awesome thing to have on ones desk )

EDIT;

Quote:
yeah the US tends to want to more narrowly define people from what i have seen then other countries.
Sad but also true (and this coming from a US citizen right here.)
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Does your love of Robotech know no bounds!? I'd dare say yes, if you were also equally as impassioned for Macross.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
the possibility of you being a geek greatly increases if your calendar has star dates on it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
What sucks now is all the hot girls in high school go for geeky scrawny guys....why didn't that social revolution happen when I was in high school????

....you're a geek if a WOW raid is more exciting than the superbowl.

...you read all EU Star Wars, HALO, 40k, robotech, and WOW novels.