Ensign
# 1 Starship graphical issues.
04-27-2014, 07:41 PM
During space combat, sometimes the rear camera angle may make all ship graphics stop working, like I can't see weapons fire, the shields don't show, aesthetic equipment changes don't show either (for example Borg Engines don't have the bit on the nacelle) and the impulse trail fails to show. This only occurs with a rear camera angle and only glitches my ship, as every other ship friend or foe appears normal. I've noticed this mostly occurs in large fights like the Crystalline Catastrophe STF though it can happen in smaller engagements as well. Messing with the graphics yielded no fix. Any suggestions?
Commander
# 2
04-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohow View Post
I've noticed this mostly occurs in large fights like the Crystalline Catastrophe STF though it can happen in smaller engagements as well. Messing with the graphics yielded no fix. Any suggestions?
There is no fix. It's a limitation of the Cryptic Engine. It can only draw so many effects on screen at once - once it passes that point, it stops rendering everything else.

There is nothing you can do to fix it short of talking to Cryptic.
"Let's make our DOff UI bigger, clumsier to use, impossible to sort, AND have it show less information in a useable method than we did before!" - Cryptic with STO's 9.5 'crafting upgrade'.

What were you thinking, Cryptic? Seriously. I want to know.
Career Officer
# 3
04-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebob View Post
There is no fix. It's a limitation of the Cryptic Engine. It can only draw so many effects on screen at once - once it passes that point, it stops rendering everything else.

There is nothing you can do to fix it short of talking to Cryptic.
You are correct to some degree, while there are limitations on the engine, since season nine release I am not able to see a lot of graphics that I was able to see prior. Just to to make since of this when I run NWS I cover the north, on wave ten I use to be able to see my weapons, GW, TBR, enemy weapons, and all other sorts of animations. I would not even lag out. Now I lag through it on lower video settings.
Star Trek Online, where the developers think it is alright to play a game with a FPS rate of 10 or worse. Blame it on the players system that ran just fine before Season Nine.
Ryche of Hammer Squadron
Ensign
# 4
04-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Same, I had no problems until the new update.
Ensign
Hi, I am also having this same graphical problem. I use an Asus Republic of Gamer Laptop with the nvidia gforce 660m....absolutely no problems like this until S9
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
05-10-2014, 03:08 PM
I had a problem with my engine trail not showing at all, and fixed it by setting visual FX to high and then loading a new map. The tooltip on visual FX is wrong. It does not update instantly - you have to load a new map after making any change to it. I don't know if this will help in your case, but it might be something worth checking.
Ensign
# 7
05-10-2014, 06:33 PM
I have this problem too. The missing engine trail is a completely different problem. Setting your visual FX to high will fix the engine trails, but then your weapons will disappear in most fights. I've even seen it happen in Tau Dewa patrol missions.
Career Officer
# 8
05-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Quote:
During space combat, sometimes the rear camera angle may make all ship graphics stop working, like I can't see weapons fire, the shields don't show, aesthetic equipment changes don't show either (for example Borg Engines don't have the bit on the nacelle) and the impulse trail fails to show. This only occurs with a rear camera angle and only glitches my ship, as every other ship friend or foe appears normal. I've noticed this mostly occurs in large fights like the Crystalline Catastrophe STF though it can happen in smaller engagements as well. Messing with the graphics yielded no fix. Any suggestions?
I have the same exact issue. Before season 9 it was just my torps that would occasionally not show. Since season 9 whenever the screen gets crowded during a big battle I can't see my weapons fire or shields from a camera angle that is showing too much action. This is very annoying and setting graphics all the way to low does help a little but I am not going to play the game like that. Pretty much every engagement in the new space battle-zone has this issue for me.

my CPU is running at about 20% while playing and before season 9 i was running graphics all the way up. I don't think my video card is to blame.

Cryptic/Perfectworld please fix.

my rig:
GeForce GTX 760
Core i7-4770 @3.4GHz
8GB RAM
Video Driver Version 335.23
Windows 7 Home Premium
Samsung Evo SSD
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
05-15-2014, 01:28 AM
Does this actually have anything to do with the chase camera? Because I'll totally switch to free camera if it alleviates this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeion1 View Post
You are correct to some degree, while there are limitations on the engine, since season nine release I am not able to see a lot of graphics that I was able to see prior. Just to to make since of this when I run NWS I cover the north, on wave ten I use to be able to see my weapons, GW, TBR, enemy weapons, and all other sorts of animations. I would not even lag out. Now I lag through it on lower video settings.
Yeah, I've heard the same limitations explanation before, but now effects aren't displaying when they always used to, or if they didn't, it was much more subtle. When I play CCE now, a good amount of my shots simply aren't visible anymore. This is also the case in the new Undine content. I don't remember this ever being an issue before S9. I don't even remember it being an issue when S9 was in testing on Tribble, but granted I didn't play there very much.

Also, this thread could really use a more descriptive title.
Want to run canon ship loadouts? Join the Star Trek Battles channel.
Commander
# 10
05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Same, I had no problems until the new update.
This issue has been around since launch. And because apparently most people never ran Crystaline Entity or Starbase Fleet Defense 20-Man, they've never seen this before (because it happens ALL the time in the new Undine Battlezone, and it happened ALL THE TIME in the above two maps too).

Again, BEEN AROUND SINCE LAUNCH.

It is an underlying issue with the Cryptic Engine - it has a maximum number of effects (beams, torpedoes, shield arcs, snotballs, everything) it can draw at once, and once it hits that point, things randomly vanish until it gets back to that number.

To repeat myself - this has been around since launch. It is an issue with the Cryptic Engine itself and it affects ALL THREE Cryptic titles. There is nothing that can be done about it. Period. This is why Cryptic isn't saying anything.

Season 9 did not cause this. Season 9 did bring players directly into conflict with it if they want to get the new Undine Marks (unless they run the PvE Queues, which nobody plays because the reward verses time investment stinks).

If you have 'never seen this before' (like so many people say), then you have never gotten into a large ship engagement before. Or you're lying. Period.
"Let's make our DOff UI bigger, clumsier to use, impossible to sort, AND have it show less information in a useable method than we did before!" - Cryptic with STO's 9.5 'crafting upgrade'.

What were you thinking, Cryptic? Seriously. I want to know.