Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
you kinda lose immersion when you respawn after blowing up, so ramming someones ship really doesnt make a difference. 2 of the 4 TNG movies had ramming in it, I fail to see your point at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardekke
Hmmm, let me state this a 3rd time since you guys seem to have read the title and nothing else before replying:

THIS IS NOT ABOUT RAMMING SPEED BEING OVERPOWERED!!!
THIS IS ABOUT DESTROYING IMMERSION IN THE STAR TREK UNIVERSE!!!

I know there are counters, and if they put the Death Star or Cylon Basestars in then I'm sure there would be counters for those.
With all the other crap that ruins the game , your worried about being rammed?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digglez
you kinda lose immersion when you respawn after blowing up, so ramming someones ship really doesnt make a difference. 2 of the 4 TNG movies had ramming in it, I fail to see your point at all.
Well, I'm glad we're actually discussing this now rather than your original statement.

Yeah, the respawn mechanic doesn't make a ton of sense but I don't think that can really be avoided without breaking a core MMO mechanic. Any sort of finality to death would really marginalize the game.

On the other hand, the ramming in the movies was kind of the last resort of the captain. I like the concept of ramming in the game but it's current implementation leads to it being too desirable as a first strike rather than a last resort. I can understand your argument that it's a counterable tactic for anyone but I'd like to think that people would prefer to use their weapons as a first resort rather than what they use when their target moves out of the way.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larhten View Post
With all the other crap that ruins the game , your worried about being rammed?
Well, the other stuff doesn't really jar me out of the game like the drive-by rammings do. I've been victim to them all but this is the only one where the Benny Hill song queues in my head And my Klingon is in T5 now so I have hopefully seen all the dirty tricks by now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmerJr View Post
Just wait, one still has not encountered abandon ship in the middle of the Fedball yet (testing still in progress but it looks good).
I've thought about doing this at times when the situation looks bleak. But so far I have yet to make myself go boom without the kind help of the neighborhood fedrats. And I never go down yet without a serious fight, lol. I want to see somebody do it one of these days. It must be our most unused skill we have to date.

As far as ramming goes, I do it all the time. I do agree the skill is almost as uncanon as Viral Matrix, and ships in Star Trek only did the ramming of ships when they had no other choice, and were looking obvious defeat in the face. It is cheesy, but fun, so oh well this is just a game. Right?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digglez
QQ /wrist
That is all I'm reading from you, Digglez.

You're a troll, and a bad one at that.

Quit life.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardekke
Well, I'm glad we're actually discussing this now rather than your original statement.

Yeah, the respawn mechanic doesn't make a ton of sense but I don't think that can really be avoided without breaking a core MMO mechanic. Any sort of finality to death would really marginalize the game.

On the other hand, the ramming in the movies was kind of the last resort of the captain. I like the concept of ramming in the game but it's current implementation leads to it being too desirable as a first strike rather than a last resort. I can understand your argument that it's a counterable tactic for anyone but I'd like to think that people would prefer to use their weapons as a first resort rather than what they use when their target moves out of the way.
actually there was a rather good suggestion about derelics and having to revive fallen/disabled ships, but cryptic would never do it, as it would change game mechnics big time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaktak
... It is cheesy, but fun, so oh well this is just a game. Right?
I've been meaning to mention this somewhere --

"Oh well this is just a game" is something you say once you've popped out of immersion or that you use to pop someone out of immersion.

"Relax. it's just a game."
"Um, yeah, but I was playing a game -- get it?"

Of course there's two aspects to MMO game-play worthy of consideration, wanting to use whatever tools are available (which isn't a bad thing) and wanting to strengthen immersion in a proposed universe (which isn't a bad thing either or we could be playing inside a paper bag).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't want Ramming speed to do less damage.

I want it to do more.

By more I mean it should do equal damage to the ship using it. It should be a last ditch risky move. Not a shields up 1shotting a player by running into them. I seriously doubt the devs intended it to be that retarded. Anyone who argues otherwise is obviously someone who uses the ramming speed exploit as a crutch. Which is why it's ironic Digglez is insulting everyone.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster
I don't want Ramming speed to do less damage.

I want it to do more.

By more I mean it should do equal damage to the ship using it. It should be a last ditch risky move. Not a shields up 1shotting a player by running into them. I seriously doubt the devs intended it to be that retarded. Anyone who argues otherwise is obviously someone who uses the ramming speed exploit as a crutch. Which is why it's ironic Digglez is insulting everyone.
Good point Sketti! I'd be down for this!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 PM.