Lt. Commander
# 41
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
It should be noted here that Cryptic already said that they intended to make STO a game that would be "viable" (presumably therefore profitable) with 50k subscribers. If they set their sights so low, is it any wonder there are server log-in queues?

Whatever the case may be, there can be little doubt that interest in the game at release was overwhelming. Cryptic must now turn that interest into paying subscribers and keep them.

I would hope that the hardcore STO players will number far more than 50k - and also, if the game can remain viable with so few subscribers, those of us who are going to stay in the Star Trek universe a la Cryptic are probably going to find the game will be around for several years.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Wow, there is an amazing amount of bad information, poor assumptions, bad logic, and outright fiction in this thread...lol

There are not, and never have been, 1 million people playing STO. There has never been 100 thousand logged in at one time, or even 50 thousand (for reference, Eve Online and Second Life have arguably the best single server solutions in the industry and they proudly announce each new record breaking connection count, I believe it's just under 60,000 for Eve and just under 90,000 for Second Life). The recent queues some experienced (I never saw one), are a result of the concurrent connection threshold being lowered by Cryptic in an attempt to improve server stability, not due to a sudden influx of players. The game has, most likely, peaked in population already.

For a better idea of mmo populations, the most reliable source is www.mmodata.net. This is an industry insider, with no personal ties to any specific company/game, the methodology is discussed in detail, and a confidence value is assigned.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
It's one million forum subscribers. Not game subscribers.
Source? Oh, there isn't one.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyan View Post
Source? Oh, there isn't one.
There is. This has already been making the rounds on these forums for a few days now.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltec
There is. This has already been making the rounds on these forums for a few days now.
http://www.massively.com/2010/02/07/...lion-accounts/ is the source that was originally quoted - "One million accounts could refer to open beta and head start accounts, or it could refer to everyone registered on the forums, even if they've long since stopped posting. It's an odd metric to use."

There are no definites there - I say again - Source of confirmation that it's is definitly forums subscribers.

I say again - there isn't one.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyan View Post
http://www.massively.com/2010/02/07/...lion-accounts/ is the source that was originally quoted - "One million accounts could refer to open beta and head start accounts, or it could refer to everyone registered on the forums, even if they've long since stopped posting. It's an odd metric to use."

There are no definites there - I say again - Source of confirmation that it's is definitly forums subscribers.

I say again - there isn't one.

There is a post somewhere with an official atari annoucement that said clearly one million forum account users. Trying to find it in all the mess.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltec
There is a post somewhere with an official atari annoucement that said clearly one million forum account users. Trying to find it in all the mess.
Fair enough, I apologise, and stand corrected - I must have missed that one.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
The one million accounts are Cryptic (not STO) accounts:

http://www.massively.com/2010/02/08/...page_massively
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
The one million accounts are Cryptic (not STO) accounts:

http://www.massively.com/2010/02/08/...page_massively