Lt. Commander
I constantly, recently, get crashes to desktop. I mean more so than the usual amount for a Cryptic game. It's always "error decompressing data". In the hoggs error log I see "File read from disk has bad CRC.". I've run chkdsk, defrag, memtest, rebooted, cold booted but still, randomly the decompressing data error occurs.

I uninstalled the game and re-installed it, same thing. I can't be the only one that's getting this. The other software I run and the other online games I play run fine, all day. Why is this happening? I set the game to run as admin as the help FAQ suggested and my video drivers are up to date. I even tried setting a framerate limit and lowered my resolution when playing. What the heck is going on?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Anyone? Page 6 already?!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
this will sound like a stupid question..and I mean no offense, but did you check the specs before you got it?

if so, update all drivers, then try..for imo it either your computer not good engouth...or drivers..hope this helps
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Something to try: Move all the .hogg files from piggs/ to prepatch/piggs/ (overwrite what is already in the prepatch/piggs/ folder) and try patching up.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
No offense taken Healer, thank you for the suggestion. I'm running 3+ ghz AMD 720 BE processor with 8 gigs of DDR3 ram on Win 7 64 bit with 2 ATI 4830 cards xfired. I have two 7200rpm IBM 300gb drives installed.

Thanks CodeRanger, I'll do that. I have 32 gbs of free HD space, that should be enough shouldn't it? I'm not running anything in the background.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 07:52 AM
ATI cards seem to cause a lot of issues with this engine right now. Have you tried disabling the dynamic lighting and postprocessing? If that lessons the amount of crashes there are a few other things that might eliminate them completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal73
I constantly, recently, get crashes to desktop. I mean more so than the usual amount for a Cryptic game. It's always "error decompressing data". In the hoggs error log I see "File read from disk has bad CRC.". I've run chkdsk, defrag, memtest, rebooted, cold booted but still, randomly the decompressing data error occurs.

I uninstalled the game and re-installed it, same thing. I can't be the only one that's getting this. The other software I run and the other online games I play run fine, all day. Why is this happening? I set the game to run as admin as the help FAQ suggested and my video drivers are up to date. I even tried setting a framerate limit and lowered my resolution when playing. What the heck is going on?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 08:16 AM
I was having the same issue when Open Beta first came out. It was completely random, sometimes hitting me 5 minutes into the game, other times I could play for hours without a problem. To fix it, I deleted everything except the .exe file for the launcher. When you start the game it downloads everything (about 10 gigs). For the last few days of Open Beta I was able to play without a single problem.

Then they closed OB, and started the retail version with a 56 meg patch. The crashes with either bad CRC errors or decompressing errors started immediately that day. I've tried just deleting the specific .hogg files that get mentioned each time an error pops up, but even force verifying the game would not get my past 15 seconds of play time while in sector space.

Yesterday I deleted the entire .piggs folder and downloaded the 10 gigs or so again. I was able to play last night for 3 hours without a problem.

I also met the minimum specs, I have had dynamic lightning turned off since I first started playing, had my drivers up to date. I've run all the same tests you did, almost hoping it was a hardware problem. When I had some similar issues in World of ********, simply running as admin fixed it for Windows 7. Not so with STO.

I am sincerely hoping with the absurd amount of crashes and cryptic errors my one account has been sending in that they can fix this issue. I will be quite put out if the solution to every patch they issue for this game is for me to do a complete reinstall via download.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Thanks
02-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks Justag, I'll try that. I'm having trouble getting my ATI control panel to open for some reason though.

@Stump2001, I feel ya', it drives me crazy. I do NOT want to reinstall Windows again but I'm starting to think I may have to. I see there's an active Wine port community running in other threads here and I'm running a dual boot with Linux Mint 7. Are ATI cards just not getting the support in the industry that Nvidia cards get? I invested some money into this x-fire setup to boost my one card and I'd hate to think it was for nothing.

I also saw a suggestion to turn on v-sync (willing to try anything) but it just seems to make the screen flicker more.

Has anyone seen an error "failed to load the mmc snapin" when trying to view their event log or load task scheduler? ...I hate Windows. If they'd just make more of these games for Linux and/or Mac compatible I'd drop it all together.

btw, after the 10 gig DL last night I got in for an hour+, no problems. Came back tonight to play and it CTD'd after character selection.
Lt. Commander
# 9 errors log output
02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Here's what I'm getting in the CrypticStudios folder error.log:

(I have a TON (thousands of lines) of these failed checksum received file errors, not sure if related to my massive 10 gig hogg download last night or not)
100210 01:53:14 509226 MasterControlProgram[1]: Failed to checksum received file
100210 01:53:14 509228 MasterControlProgram[1]: Failed to checksum received file

and then these:
100211 02:10:38 160 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/d3dx9_36.dll!
100211 02:10:39 167 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/D3DX9_37.dll!
100211 02:10:41 174 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmodex.dll!
100211 02:10:43 181 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmodexL.dll!
100211 02:10:44 188 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmod_event_net.dll!
100211 02:10:44 195 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmod_event_netL.dll!
100211 02:10:45 202 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/msidcrl40.dll!
100211 02:10:46 209 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/nvtt.dll!
100211 02:10:47 216 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput1_3.dll!
100211 02:10:48 223 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput9_1_0.dll!
100211 02:10:48 230 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXLoader.dll!
100211 02:10:49 237 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/NxCooking.dll!
100211 02:10:50 244 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXCore.dll!
100211 02:10:53 251 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/GameClient.exe!
100211 02:10:54 258 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/d3dx9_33.dll!
100211 02:10:55 265 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/msvcm80.dll!
100211 02:10:55 272 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/msvcp80.dll!
100211 02:10:56 279 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/msvcr80.dll!
100211 02:10:57 286 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest!
100211 02:10:58 293 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/physxcudart_20.dll!
100211 02:10:59 300 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/steam_api.dll!
100211 02:11:27 307 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/crypticError.exe!
Lt. Commander
# 10 hogg_errors.log
02-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Here are the three common errors I see in the hogg_errors.log file:

Error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.
100211 02:10:00 81 MasterControlProgram[1]: Read wrong number of bytes
100211 02:10:04 83 MasterControlProgram[1]: File read from disk has bad CRC. (especially this one).

My other software runs fine and I cold booted and ran a chkdsk in safe mode with no errors. Is there a better disk checking program I should run? The game seems to have trouble reading and/or unpacking the files it needs from the larger texture files.