Lt. Commander
# 1 New Servers??? What!? Where!?
02-08-2010, 10:47 PM
So the new servers? Where are they? Meant to be installed over the weekend yes?

My other thread......the Cryptics silence on this just stuns me! This should be a huge announcement!

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...49#post1904849
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 11:42 PM
The way they were talking in the announcements I've seen, they should have been installed two weeks ago.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 12:05 AM
The OP's problem is almost certainly not related to the lack of server capacity or performance now, if it is still as he described in his other thread.

He could argue that is partly to do with STO only having a US server, but there are good reasons for that. The real issues almost certainly lay his end.

If you have adequate hardware, have configured things right and still have problems then seek advice on an aussie site like whirlpool.net.au, if you are able to understand things well enough to discuss them. Otherwise find someone savvy to check out for you what's going on and/or contact your ISP.

Cryptic do provide support, but when it isn't to do with STO itself or it's not something obvious they can find out about your PC, then you'll have to follow the advice above.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2010, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdere View Post
The OP's problem is almost certainly not related to the lack of server capacity or performance now, if it is still as he described in his other thread.

He could argue that is partly to do with STO only having a US server, but there are good reasons for that. The real issues almost certainly lay his end.

If you have adequate hardware, have configured things right and still have problems then seek advice on an aussie site like whirlpool.net.au, if you are able to understand things well enough to discuss them. Otherwise find someone savvy to check out for you what's going on and/or contact your ISP.

Cryptic do provide support, but when it isn't to do with STO itself or it's not something obvious they can find out about your PC, then you'll have to follow the advice above.
Yeah i guess i didnt describe it enough in my other thread.

Further information to the other thread, i have tested this on multiple systems, multiple setups and multiple ISPs, 2 of the best rated ISPs within Australia. at different connection speeds each time.

The ONLY! time that an "agreeable" connection rate has been established has been at roughly 2-3 in the morning on a 24mb connection stable at 18-19mbs. Past this all other times of testing and on the same and different connections, have been completely shocking.

I would be lucky to move anywhere without getting the "stuttering effecting on the ground and if i managed to beam to my ship i would get 2-3 shots of phasers off before i would stare at "Server not responding" for any given amount of time before a disconnect.

I will repeat...this is issue is not with my system, it is not with my ISP, this is a lack of either performance in their servers/network code or lack of enough room on their servers for all the players.

If to play this game in Australia i need to pay and always be around the best possible connections here and only play at completely unreasonable times then this is absolutely pathetic and a clear case of well if your outside the USA who gives a flying fark about you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Also forgot to mention there is a thread in the Federation News Network in regards to increased server capacity coming soon, it was meant to be installed over the weekend past.

Unless ive missed a post in the 47 page through there has been no update to the current servers or any new ones added.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Exept if it was cryptics servers as you say, then everyone would be seeing these problems, and thats just not the case.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 06:12 AM
I also had this problem but updating my graphics drivers and making sure the Proxy settings in the launcher were set to none solved the problem. i also ended up shutting down my AV because that was causing problems too. I would suggest doing all these things and turning off anything that's filtering the connection between you and Cryptic (just to test) and see if it works. If it doesn't then i have no idea.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't understand why Cryptic puts up a note like this on their launch page:

Our current plans is to have this changes in place sometime this upcoming weekend. We will, of course, keep you updated on progress as it happens.

and then we go the whole weekend and a few days into next week without hearing anything. Its as if they realize of course we should be updating you - and yet...nothing.

I can deal with launch issues, but the lack of communication on cryptic's part has been really disappointing. I have friends who are trying to play this game that cannot due to rubberbanding.

Those are denied customers and invites potentially losing current ones for those who looked forward to playing with them.

It would be nice if we can at least know what is going on.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaX_WeeD
I will repeat...this is issue is not with my system, it is not with my ISP, this is a lack of either performance in their servers/network code or lack of enough room on their servers for all the players..
Believe us, it isn't.

If you are only getting decent performance in the early hours of the morning then it is either traffic shaping/contention/latency issues, or it is due to a problem with the network from Oz to STO.

This is why I said you need some expert advice. You'll have to look at the real cause to consider solutions. Try running a traceroute to begin with and see where the lag is caused.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
To answer the original question, we have had people in the data center for about 2 weeks now installing new machines 18+ hours a day. Its been a gradual process, so we haven't really had anything "big announcement" worthy at any time.