Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltawen View Post
Enterprise was pretty good if you just pretend that the whole 'Xinti' business doesn't exist.What were they thinking?!
It's Xindi, and it's one of the best seasons of Star Trek so I think they knew exactly what they were thinking...
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-09-2010, 08:10 PM
For me, it wasn't canon startrek at all. John Archers story ought to be rebooted, for the prime universe even. Maybe in an animated mini series. Scott Bakula should have kept time travel in Quantum Leap. Good show btw.

Time travelling so early in the startrek universe, was a bad choice. It killed alot of fan support early for the series. With dwindling viewers, bad reviews, and cancellation always looming; You could see the lack of pride in the actor's performances near the end of the show's run. I enjoyed the series some, but it never held my attention at all. This is coming from someone who saw all TOS episodes before TNG aired and then I was on track to watch each episode as it came out through to the end of Voyager. Was it just me growing up that cut my interest? Nope. I'm still a trek junkie. It's because they failed at capturing the real spirit of early trekking. I was excited at first, until I realized they were creating a show for a broad audience and made a country western intro song. For me it should've been 100% like 'Balance of Terror' .

A prequel series was a bad choice from the start. It was always destined to go wrong, because telling any new stories would be changing it and telling all the known stories is too constraining for tv producers.

Though I agree. Most of the episodes you list are the gems of the series.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-09-2010, 09:47 PM
A pretty good list. You picked out a few episdoes that I can't stand and I suppose if I consulted the episode lists I could find one or two that I'd include instead. Hit the ball out of the park though, I think, by pointing out that the show got considerably better in season 3. I'm always surprised that people are so unforgiving about the Xindi arc. I thought it was a pretty good arc all things considered.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Actually, if you go back and look the ratings weren't bad. Star Trek Enterprise was UPN's #1 or #2 show until it was canceled. It got canceled because of a change in network executives who didn't like Star Trek.
Star Trek has ALWAYS had time travel, even in TOS so it was not a bad choice - if you think it was, go watch Captain Kirk and company go back to the 1940's or the 1960's (they time traveled an awful lot!) and that was under Roddenberry's direction. Also, in MY opinion there are plenty of 'crappy' TNG, DS9, Voyager episodes to go around that you can't just point a finger at Enterprise. As for the theme song, it's going to always be the center of debate but as far as I'm concerned when my wife (who never heard of Star Trek until we met and got married 3 years ago) listens to the theme of Enterprise and smiles, telling me how much she loves the music and the lyrics, well... I smile and happen to agree. But on that - we can agree to disagree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowover View Post
For me, it wasn't canon startrek at all. John Archers story ought to be rebooted, for the prime universe even. Maybe in an animated mini series. Scott Bakula should have kept time travel in Quantum Leap. Good show btw.

Time travelling so early in the startrek universe, was a bad choice. It killed alot of fan support early for the series. With dwindling viewers, bad reviews, and cancellation always looming; You could see the lack of pride in the actor's performances near the end of the show's run. I enjoyed the series some, but it never held my attention at all. This is coming from someone who saw all TOS episodes before TNG aired and then I was on track to watch each episode as it came out through to the end of Voyager. Was it just me growing up that cut my interest? Nope. I'm still a trek junkie. It's because they failed at capturing the real spirit of early trekking. I was excited at first, until I realized they were creating a show for a broad audience and made a country western intro song. For me it should've been 100% like 'Balance of Terror' .

A prequel series was a bad choice from the start. It was always destined to go wrong, because telling any new stories would be changing it and telling all the known stories is too constraining for tv producers.

Though I agree. Most of the episodes you list are the gems of the series.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-10-2010, 02:06 AM
Although I think ENT is the worst of the series (especially seasons 3 and 4), I think Cogenitor (2x22) is one of the best Star Trek episodes of all time. I can't believe you didn't mention it!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-10-2010, 02:41 AM
I happen to enjoy a lot of Enterprise, and certainly ther are episodes in Enterprise that are better than some of those in TNG/DS9/VOY. People often seem to forget how bad Trek can really be at its worst. The first couple of seasons of all of the above had some truly abysmal acting in them and the plots often stretch the bounds of believability, even for someone who loves Trek. The only thing I never understood is that some people get really hostile about ENT. I mean foam at the mouth angry if its even mentioned. Anyhoo, not a bad list although I think I enjoyed a lot more of the episodes than you did OP.

Also I believe that ENT was in fact cancelled due to internal studio politics as the other poster mentioned. The ratings remained strong enough to support the show, and the actors and crew were expecting it to go into a 5th series, based on some interview they gave at the time. (See if you can dig out footage of the ENT crew in the pickets during the writers' strike)
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-10-2010, 05:58 AM
While ENT had its bad or dry episodes here and there, they where no different then any other series, except VOY that i blame for killing ST.

So if i compare between TNG/DS9/VOY and ENT (umm no i have have not seen TOS and i dont want to pollute my mind with that show either)

In actual interesting episodes TNG, then ENT, then DS9, VOY had one now and then per season so i dont count them in.
Actual development and sort of connection between episodes : ENT, DS9, TNG.

Show development, people, places, whatever: ENT/DS9 then TNG (mutch of the person development was just Data except Troy in the later one where she stopped being eye candy and tried to do work)

Overall i like most of the ST shows and movies, but there are those i just skip as they are terrible, sadly VOY tends to end up on the list of episodes i just skip as i cant stand "do as i say, not as i do because i dont have to care about it and screw those i dont like it and rank is followed towards me, but not by me" captains. I get annoyed when watching VOY and hearing her voice because all i can think of is mace+skull =Great party ensues.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulgor View Post
Although I think ENT is the worst of the series (especially seasons 3 and 4), I think Cogenitor (2x22) is one of the best Star Trek episodes of all time. I can't believe you didn't mention it!
Yeah, Cogenitor was an iffy episode for me, and by the end I just felt like it was a big preach-a-thon. They're out to explore the galaxy and make allies, and Trip would (in real life) know better then to invade the alien ship and sneak around doing totally illegal things and then expecting the Captain to understand.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I think part of the problem with Enterprise....is that the primary writers just SUCKED ARSE.

By the time they got good storylines....The UPN Network was failing miserably...and wouldn't even consider selling the show to another network...they just decided to murder it.

ENT had the potential to be a great series...and with Season 4, it was getting there.

If SyFy (Sci-Fi Channel back then) had been able to pick it up, I think people could have grown to love it.

And of all the eps of all the series....The finale for ENT was the worst ep ever. Even worse then the Warp 10 one from VOY. But from what I gathered...that ep was hastily done in a very short time,

I always found it amusing that UPN died shortly after ENT was cancelled....
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Hm i have always been an ENT hater because of the episodes i have saw were all bad imo
Anyway i will rise to this challenge and watch it in your order