Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejin
Cryptic has promised respecs will be available for some form of in-game resources only.
Correction: They said that respecs will be available with in-game currency. They never said respecs will only be available with in-game currency.

This is an important distinction, because it means they can have in-game currency respecs and still sell respecs on the C-store.

In fact, if in-game respecs are incredibly expensive, that creates incentive for people to purchase the C-store ones. So the nasty suspicious part of my brain is expecting respecs to be quite costly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeyan
Definitely falls under Unknown. If I had to guess, "Later (months)" would be closest, around the same time as the planned content additions.
While it's technically unknown I think we have some history to look at in order to make a relatively reasonable guess.

When Champions Online first launched its C-Store also had barely anything in it. At the time about all it had were the fluff pets. It took Cryptic about a month to greatly expand that C-Store to include things like respecs and renames. Based on that example it's quite possible we'll only have to wait a couple of weeks to see the same kind of expansion of the STO C-Store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothic View Post
While it's technically unknown I think we have some history to look at in order to make a relatively reasonable guess.

When Champions Online first launched its C-Store also had barely anything in it. At the time about all it had were the fluff pets. It took Cryptic about a month to greatly expand that C-Store to include things like respecs and renames. Based on that example it's quite possible we'll only have to wait a couple of weeks to see the same kind of expansion of the STO C-Store.
Is that CO reference from launch?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmann26 View Post
Is that CO reference from launch?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking but I'll try to rephrase what I said.

When CO first launched its C-Store had very few items available to buy. Just about all it had were a set of cosmetic pets. About 3 or 4 weeks after CO launched Cryptic added a bunch of stuff to that game's C-Store including things like renames, respecs and additional character slots.

So the point I was making is that STO seems to be following in the same pattern. When STO launched last week all they gave us to buy were the Fed Klingon and Ferengi characters. But it's quite possible that it will only take a couple of weeks or so for the STO C-Store to be enhanced with things like renames and/or respecs for this game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Since I've had CP from Champions leftover which I actually bought to get slots so the "it's free" does NOT apply crap and then stolen from me by Cryptic with no response to any way of contacting them, I will never buy any more CP from the thieves.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
Since I've had CP from Champions leftover which I actually bought to get slots so the "it's free" does NOT apply crap and then stolen from me by Cryptic with no response to any way of contacting them, I will never buy any more CP from the thieves.
Sorry to hear you had that problem and hope you get it worked out. I had CP leftover from CO and it all shows as available in this game so clearly your problem didn't happen to everyone. *shrugs*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothic View Post
Sorry to hear you had that problem and hope you get it worked out. I had CP leftover from CO and it all shows as available in this game so clearly your problem didn't happen to everyone. *shrugs*
At first the 500 from STO purchase was just added to my CP. Then a few days later, my CP was reset to 500 for no reason whatsoever. And the fact that I actually paid extra for the CP to get character slots in CO taken from me for no reason is it was done like a thief in the night. And all my ways of contacting Cryptic on this matter has gone unanswered or sat on hold on the phone for 30 minutes listening to a static filled Champions Online theme music. That was enough to hang up to that poor quality recording.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-09-2010, 12:59 PM
If you want to respec, start an alt. I have chars for Tac/Escort Tac/Cruiser Tac/Sci Eng/Cruiser Sci/Sci
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Alt's are all well and good, but take time to build up... also, some of us build a character, then get at least a little attached to them, and want them to be the best they can be.

This can only happen with trial and error, and that means respecs. Me, I'm looking forward to one in a big way- I'm largely happy with my main, but only largely. There is some stuff I very seriously need to tweak, and respecs have been a staple of MMO's pretty much since the game genre was born.

As easy as such a system would be to implement, I'm sure the only reason we don't have one already is because they don't see it as a priority/didn't think there'd be demand for one this early. It'll come... I just hope it comes soon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARedthorn View Post
As easy as such a system would be to implement, I'm sure the only reason we don't have one already is because they don't see it as a priority/didn't think there'd be demand for one this early. It'll come... I just hope it comes soon.
They might still be trying to figure out the right way to implement them. They seem pretty straightforward except one messy aspect which is the ability to train Bridge Officers if you put enough points into a particular skill. With respecs what happens with this skill benefit? If they let us train Bridge Officers and then respec and remove the points we put into the corresponding skill, they are essentially creating a system where every Tac Captain can train all the level III tac abilities, every Engineering captain can train all the level III engineering abilities, etc. I'm sure that wasn't the way the system was originally intended.

So what's the answer? If you take out the points in that skill does your BOff lose the level III ability? What if the BOff picked it up via training from a rare officer? Does the system maintain enough information to know if the BOff learned it from you or from a rare officer? (My guess is no.)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 PM.