Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Seriously I would like to know what people think. It only took me 27 hrs of playtime to hit commander 1 (20). Not straight mind you, but over 5 days of play. Almost halfway maxed out in less than a week of semi-casual play. With supposedly no endgame present I am not sure what is going to keep me subscribed. I mean how many months are we supposed to pay for subs while we wait for content, they are still fixing bugs. I know there are people who like the game and all and it is kind of entertaining, but its repetitive as heck and EASY. I have been soloing everything and PVP degenerates into mobs of Klingon's ganging up on Feds who get separated from the pack like a bunch of rabid wolves. I am not sure this game type even lends itself well to PVP because of the unforgiving nature of team balancing.


So lets hear it, what things in STO would keep you paying for a sub and how long are you willing to wait?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-08-2010, 11:00 PM
nope. right now there not a lot. if that 1 million + accounts figure is accurate, they will see it drop to next to nothing quickly if they dont fill it out. a lot.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Supposedly there's end game content coming, go to the STO main page and read all about it.

If they want to keep people happy they're probly
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post
Supposedly there's end game content coming, go to the STO main page and read all about it.

If they want to keep people happy they're probly
3 or 4 quests announced. not exactly a lot is it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragerx
Seriously I would like to know what people think. It only took me 27 hrs of playtime to hit commander 1 (20). Not straight mind you, but over 5 days of play. Almost halfway maxed out in less than a week of semi-casual play. With supposedly no endgame present I am not sure what is going to keep me subscribed. I mean how many months are we supposed to pay for subs while we wait for content, they are still fixing bugs. I know there are people who like the game and all and it is kind of entertaining, but its repetitive as heck and EASY. I have been soloing everything and PVP degenerates into mobs of Klingon's ganging up on Feds who get separated from the pack like a bunch of rabid wolves. I am not sure this game type even lends itself well to PVP because of the unforgiving nature of team balancing.


So lets hear it, what things in STO would keep you paying for a sub and how long are you willing to wait?
Did you read the mission text or just skim it? Have you tried organized fleet combat or just ignored it and hammered through it to commander? There's alot of stuff in the game that, when ignored, is easilly confused as lack of substance. I'm Lt. Cmdr 3 now and I've played probably as many hours. I find many of the missions to have rather intriguing plots and that the flavour of the Star Trek universe is ripe in the game.

I've yet to touch PvP yet, but the idea of massive fleet battles sounds really interesting. Though the graphical issues are many, the server problems consistent and the latency unholy, this game holds appeal that's got me trapped within it.

If you're having a hard time with content, you would do well to actually view the content you experience. The building plot over the Undine race's place in the current political affairs, the returning Klingon captains out for your blood, the curiousity of the exploration of unknown regions, the amusement when interacting with the kin of Star Trek characters from the shows. I may not be in love with the Star Trek franchise, but it does allow me a good few easter eggs or sorts. Personally, I feel that you've sold the game short.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-08-2010, 11:20 PM
exploration? this is by far the worst part of the game.

not everyone likes to PvP either.

you shouldnt be forced to do everything on offer to fill time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keramane View Post
Did you read the mission text or just skim it? Have you tried organized fleet combat or just ignored it and hammered through it to commander? There's alot of stuff in the game that, when ignored, is easilly confused as lack of substance. I'm Lt. Cmdr 3 now and I've played probably as many hours. I find many of the missions to have rather intriguing plots and that the flavour of the Star Trek universe is ripe in the game.

I've yet to touch PvP yet, but the idea of massive fleet battles sounds really interesting. Though the graphical issues are many, the server problems consistent and the latency unholy, this game holds appeal that's got me trapped within it.

If you're having a hard time with content, you would do well to actually view the content you experience. The building plot over the Undine race's place in the current political affairs, the returning Klingon captains out for your blood, the curiousity of the exploration of unknown regions, the amusement when interacting with the kin of Star Trek characters from the shows. I may not be in love with the Star Trek franchise, but it does allow me a good few easter eggs or sorts. Personally, I feel that you've sold the game short.
I did read the mission text, I am one of the few that actually does. Usually reading the text keeps you from having to yell out in chat "what do I do next?". But really after awhile, the severe repetition of the missions just makes the words blur and it doesnt really even mean anything or make me want to care
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Well, I've heard the same argument from all MMO's I've played. Especially in Lotro the "there's no content in this game" cries started about a week after release. The arguments were 100% the same as OP's. Not enough to do, and don't force me to take my time.

If people play a lot, they're going to go thru the content pretty quickly in all games. And if you rush thru the content to get to the mythical endgame that will transform the game into a completely different, magical land of wonders, you're going to be disappointed.

MMO's constantly add more content and stuff to do. It's just the way things work. If you want to immediately find more content than you can get thru, I'd suggest trying other MMO's that have been out for years.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuwise

MMO's constantly add more content and stuff to do. It's just the way things work. If you want to immediately find more content than you can get thru, I'd suggest trying other MMO's that have been out for years.
you better hope people dont take your advice. cause the game will die.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuwise
Well, I've heard the same argument from all MMO's I've played. Especially in Lotro the "there's no content in this game" cries started about a week after release. The arguments were 100% the same as OP's. Not enough to do, and don't force me to take my time.

If people play a lot, they're going to go thru the content pretty quickly in all games. And if you rush thru the content to get to the mythical endgame that will transform the game into a completely different, magical land of wonders, you're going to be disappointed.

MMO's constantly add more content and stuff to do. It's just the way things work. If you want to immediately find more content than you can get thru, I'd suggest trying other MMO's that have been out for years.
I disagree, hate to use the WoW example but hey! I am not one to really rush to max level, but when I play at a normal speed for me and am blazing through he game with only 2-3 hrs play a day something is wrong. And with WoW I can hit 80 and there is so much to do it can keep me busy almost indefinitely. STO isnt that old yet but really there should have been SOME endgame put in, not a complete lack of it. I mean with how easy the game is how fast did they think people were gonna advance? I mean im a casual player and can easily see myself maxing out before the end of the month. And trying to grind a last few levels that have NO content is really gonna turn me off even more!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 AM.