Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-09-2010, 02:43 AM
They just need to let people play for free through april, then announce the "Open" open beta was a success and the game is ready for release.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragerx
Seriously I would like to know what people think. It only took me 27 hrs of playtime to hit commander 1 (20). Not straight mind you, but over 5 days of play. Almost halfway maxed out in less than a week of semi-casual play. With supposedly no endgame present I am not sure what is going to keep me subscribed. I mean how many months are we supposed to pay for subs while we wait for content, they are still fixing bugs. I know there are people who like the game and all and it is kind of entertaining, but its repetitive as heck and EASY. I have been soloing everything and PVP degenerates into mobs of Klingon's ganging up on Feds who get separated from the pack like a bunch of rabid wolves. I am not sure this game type even lends itself well to PVP because of the unforgiving nature of team balancing.

So lets hear it, what things in STO would keep you paying for a sub and how long are you willing to wait?
27h in 5 days is far from casual, thats at least 5.5h a day.

Did you read all quest text ? Did you talk with other people ? Did you try different ship configurations, fleets etc ?
I would not think so.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuwise
Well, I've heard the same argument from all MMO's I've played. Especially in Lotro the "there's no content in this game" cries started about a week after release. The arguments were 100% the same as OP's. Not enough to do, and don't force me to take my time.
lol ... dont compare these 2 ... please ... LOTRO at least had the Books that kept you occupied and there were quite a number of instances for groups in game from day 1 ... instances that were fun to do ... not just pewpewzergstarbaseXYZ

STO has little to no actual content at the moment ... the missions seem generic or even worse random generated ...
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-09-2010, 03:48 AM
This game has and needs content? I play Klingon and have for the most part gained all my XP thru PVP. And have loved every bit of it. A few endgame missions to do coming soon is great. Better than none. But even when they come I'll be PVPing daily anyway, so it won't matter much to me. What I would like to see more of however is more variety to the space pvp zones. Cracked Planet and Salvage Operation is starting to get a bit old. Nobody seems to do Enemy Mine, and Solar Wind is just blah.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-09-2010, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Seriously I would like to know what people think. It only took me 27 hrs of playtime to hit commander 1 (20). Not straight mind you, but over 5 days of play. Almost halfway maxed out in less than a week of semi-casual play. With supposedly no endgame present I am not sure what is going to keep me subscribed. I mean how many months are we supposed to pay for subs while we wait for content, they are still fixing bugs. I know there are people who like the game and all and it is kind of entertaining, but its repetitive as heck and EASY. I have been soloing everything and PVP degenerates into mobs of Klingon's ganging up on Feds who get separated from the pack like a bunch of rabid wolves. I am not sure this game type even lends itself well to PVP because of the unforgiving nature of team balancing.

So lets hear it, what things in STO would keep you paying for a sub and how long are you willing to wait?
How long launch content lasts depends on how fast a player levels.

If you play a few hours per night then there is more then a month of content. If you play 5+ hours per day then it won't last so long.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-09-2010, 03:57 AM
I'm a casual gamer and I am on Lt Cmdr 4. Although I have been very pleased with the content and always look forward to logging in, I do get worried about the fact you advance to admiral and reach the endgame. However, I am very confident that Cryptic will keep adding to the game. Star Trek lends itself to this sort of game so perfectly it'd be hard not to have enough to keep the game interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilen
27h in 5 days is far from casual, thats at least 5.5h a day.

Did you read all quest text ? Did you talk with other people ? Did you try different ship configurations, fleets etc ?
I would not think so.
It's not uncommon for people to put in double digit hours on release weekend. His hours are VERY casual considering the circumstance.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-09-2010, 04:21 AM
You see it in every game that comes out. There is always a bunch of power levelers who reach max level miles ahead of everyone else. Then they get bored because they claim there is nothing to do, and are just about always some of the first to leave the game. Power levelers are almost NEVER long term players of games, and usually bounce from game to game to game doing the same thing in every game they migrate to. MMO's are built in mind for the long term players who the game companies rely on monthly subs to support the game. Whenever there is expansions and significant content additons to the games, some of these players come back to check things out. But seldom ever stick around much more than another month or two, then they leave again.

The casual long term players are who game companies make these games for. Not the ones who jump from game to game to game every month like a grasshopper being chased by the mower. As long as they expand the game on a semi frequent fashion this game will be just fine. The true fans of this title will stick around. We have already seen a much higher interest than anticipated in this game causing them to upgrade servers frantically to meet the demand. That alone speaks well for this MMO which really didn't get a very favorable buzz before it's release.

Most MMO website forums weren't overly kind when the topic of STO was brought up. I suspect this title has brought in a BUNCH of new gamers to play this game, just because of the epic title Star Trek has become over the many years.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Quote:

Yep, I do.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-09-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm a casual gamer and play 1-2 hours a day. Right now I'm LC6 and am in no danger of running out of levels for a long time. When I do hit RA5, Cryptic will have added more content.