Lt. Commander
After seeing all the typical "I'm cancelling my account, and why" threads you see on these forums. Which is fairly typical of just about every MMO a few weeks after release. I'd felt the urge to make this thread which instead of trying to get attention about being a sourpuss. Maybe we can get some good stuff here on the forums instead, in this sea of whine, and negativity.

The question is simple.

What about STO have you found you like the best? Why is it you like this game?

For me, I find the PVP fun as hell, and very addictive. And with the promises of more content heading our way in the near future, I have high hopes we here are in a future epic title as it takes it's first baby steps. Something about this game makes me think this could be a long ride.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Ship combat. It's a lot of fun. Awesome when approached from a casual angle- hellish if you're going to catass to admiral.

Works for some, probably not so much for others.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Can't people do what they want without always having to justify themselves or try to convince others that they're right?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2010, 01:32 AM
I think OP is just trying to combat the negativity with good time feelings.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaktak
After seeing all the typical "I'm cancelling my account, and why" threads you see on these forums. Which is fairly typical of just about every MMO a few weeks after release. I'd felt the urge to make this thread which instead of trying to get attention about being a sourpuss. Maybe we can get some good stuff here on the forums instead, in this sea of whine, and negativity.

The question is simple.

What about STO have you found you like the best? Why is it you like this game?

For me, I find the PVP fun as hell, and very addictive. And with the promises of more content heading our way in the near future, I have high hopes we here are in a future epic title as it takes it's first baby steps. Something about this game makes me think this could be a long ride.
For me....I love Star Trek, plain and simple...I willing to give the game a go, but no more than a couple of months unless it impresses me more. As for an individual aspect of the game...not so much.

If I asked myself the question, which part of the game is most complete? [and thus I can have the most fun with], I reckon the space and ground combat system....with the very notable exception of difficulty. I find the interface for ground and space combat fairly easy to use.

If really pressed [and I'm thinking as I type]...I'd say that some, but not all, of the missions have been very atmospheric. The one's I've liked best are the one's where my view of the world has been closed in and claustrophobic, made so by fog, or sandstorm...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrangryface View Post
I think OP is just trying to combat the negativity with good time feelings.
Call me paranoid; but on every mmo I played; when people hated the game they felt the need to make everyone else hate the game as much as they did. The only positive sides you'll ever find about the game are in the game; the people who play there; not those who post on the forums. The ones on the forums are the minority; or stuck at work and bored out of their mind.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 01:39 AM
I think for a lot of people they are in a losing battle with their unrealistic expectations.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 01:43 AM
A lot of people are too retarted before they get a game, they see 'space combat' and they go berzerk like 'OMG AWSUMGOTTA HAZ IT' stuff..

It's true that 99% of the people that post on forums and do reviews aren't enjoying the game, but it's the same with so many things, like people that are crying on forums that Apple computers suck, but they never even touched one, or the few that have problems with an Apple computer will post it on forums, next thing you know it will be in the news that there's a MAJOR problem with Apple computers just because a 1% of the Apple community puts it online and the other 99% has no problems or whatever, but they won't post online 'it works as expected, continue please'..

So to sum up, people crying on this forum probably isn't even 1% of the total star trek online community.

As for the content, it will come, just look at Blizzard's ********, if you look at the number of updates and new content releases they had, if Cryptic wants to keep their STO players online they will have to, and as far as I know and have read, they will add new content, but you can't expect new content to get released within a week just because some idiots that rush through every single game without even following a storyline, getting extra's or take time to do something doesn't make an endgame contentless. Same thing happened with WoW, the first few that reached max level were nagging about there was nothing to do, how could that be? Maybe because there were just a couple of others that managed to have nothing better to do for a week so there were wasn't enough of them to do things together such as raids, instances etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Not always unreallistic; but they had imagined something different. The game is pretty good anyhow. Could be better if they had more contents; and more "sandbox" elements. At the moment; other than doing missions, there's not much to do... even exploration is mission based.

The space combat is pretty interesting; but still not challenging enough. Ground combat is trivial; you can watch TV while fighting.

So yeah; give some sandbox elements to break away from missions; and integrate PvP into the game rather than making it a "sub game" hidden in a menu.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Unrealistic expectations?

Sorry, hardly. The thing is that there has been an MMO that met all my expectations, and is still unsurpassed in the MMO industry. It was called Ultima Online. A real, persitant world, with real houses built in there, and a full player-driven crafting systeam. A sandbox. With no levels and no classes. Where not having any combat skills whatsoever WAS a valid option.