Lt. Commander
# 11
02-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkara View Post
Sorry, hardly. The thing is that there has been an MMO that met all my expectations, and is still unsurpassed in the MMO industry. It was called Ultima Online. A real, persitant world, with real houses built in there, and a full player-driven crafting systeam. A sandbox. With no levels and no classes. Where not having any combat skills whatsoever WAS a valid option.
Yeah Sandbox MMO's are the best way to go for immersion and keeping their player base. But... they don't attract as many players as theme park MMO's. EVE is closer to UO than it is to STO. STO is closer to WoW.

But it's a bit late to hope for a complete redesign of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-09-2010, 12:53 AM
I like the game for what it is; a space arcade combat shoot em up with the ability to play with friends.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-09-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm loving STO so far. Only started playing on saturday night (had been following the forums and IRC etc since before beta, just never got around to pre ordering it) and I am really enjoying it so far.

The only other MMO I have invested alot of time into (5 years) is Eve Online, and I love Eve, it will always have a place in my heart, but as I get older (28 on Sunday eaaaaak!) I'm finding that I no longer have 6 hours just to prepare for a fleet battle or another 6 hours to farm NPC's to replace the t2 ship I just lost...

So that I think is why I am loving STO so far, I can jump in game and be actually doing something inside 5 minutes... I can play for a couple of hours and rank up a level or 2 (instead of 30 days which is what most of my skills are in Eve)

The game does have a couple of issues which I think need addressing, I've not tried PVP yet (am waiting for lt. cmdr) but I know when I do that it will feel just a little empty... there has to be some kind of penalty for dying, lose a couple of ship fittings or whatever, I'm also not that much into the away missions - feel a little dated, and akin to the matrix online which i tried for a couple of weeks and got bored. So, I have been favouring the "patrol the x sector" missions over the more scripted ones - but this in itself is enough of a game for me right now - I know more stuff will come, that is why I love playing MMO's

So yeah, all in all, loving STO, hoping for some death penalites and better away missions some time in the future, apart from that, outstanding game launch! Hoping to get my hands on a t2 ship tonight (just over a rank to go till 10)
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-09-2010, 01:12 AM
I enjoy the game, its what I expected when it was released.. anyone saying they were 'forced' or 'tricked' into buying the game hasn't followed any of the developement information pre release.

For the time being, the trek theme of the game is what is appealing to me the most. I enjoy the pvp on a real basic satisfying level. These thoughts will change within the next month or two unless there are signs of good game developement.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrangryface View Post
I think OP is just trying to combat the negativity with good time feelings.
BINGO!

As far as Eve Online goes, I also played Eve for years, and one of the best things about STO compared to Eve, is what another person here earlier said, I just don't want to dedicate a day to grind NPC's to earn cash to replace a ship lost in battle. And then another day running around to all corners of the universe getting the modules I need to be as good as I want to be. In STO NOT having a death penalty for me has added to my enjoyment. Another thing I have found I enjoy is just surviving in the face of almost certain death. It's quite a rush to be focused fired upon by a crap-ton of the enemy, and somehow still coming out alive, with all or most of who was trying to kill you now flaoting in space as debris.

I guess STO is an arcade, but if I'm having fun, I don't much care. I surely won't fork over my monthly sub for something I'm not enjoying. So far for me STO has felt the least like a job, and most like a game to me compared to so many I've played in the past.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Below is why I like the game (haters keep your nose out this is my opinion and I really couldn’t give a rats ass about your sarcastic drivel – constructive criticism welcome however):

• I like the flexibility – you can be as casual or dedicated as you like with STO. Want an essentially online arcade game? You can have it. Want a much more immersive and interactive experience? Through fleets and the community you can have that too. In some MMOs, unless you devote your life to it, you are going to be slaughtered every time you stick your little toe into PVP.
• No sense of elitism – many of the poster’s on the forum who routinely log in for no other reason than to troll do so because they are used to oodles of technical garbage (EVE) which they can spend their lives getting to know and therefore feel superior to everyone else. These people find exploits through months of study and actively use them to gank/ruin other players.
• Endless possibility with an incredibly rich IP – only Star Wars could rival Trek for possibilities and even this does not have the depth of history that Trek has – riding the wormhole to the delta quadrant anyone?
• Servers – I have had an incredibly smooth experience with the servers thus far (others have suffered I’m sure but I can only go on my experience). Since game launch I have had one single day when I experienced lots of lag and disconnects.
• Space combat is deliciously strategic, especially in pvp.
• Fleet/Guild system – I am lucky enough to have joined a good fleet from the very beginning which is active and helpful – this adds much to the experience and is significantly more fun that flying through the cold of space on your own.
• Missions that do not require me to go back to the quest giver to resolve them – subspace communications ftw!
• Depth and variety of weapon systems and gear.
• Faithfulness to the IP and the sweet little touches like Tribbles and Klingon’s reactions to them!
• In my opinion the game looks great in space (needs some work on the ground though)
• The inclusion of both ground and vehicle based combat – pretty revolutionary I think (at least for me) for an MMORPG
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-09-2010, 01:31 AM
[quote= So, I have been favouring the "patrol the x sector" missions over the more scripted ones - but this in itself is enough of a game for me right now - I know more stuff will come, that is why I love playing MMO's
[/QUOTE]

Stick wiht it my firend - the scripted mission get real good from Lt Commander on - Many are well written, offer a few twists and are evry Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
Many are well written, offer a few twists and are evry Trek.
There are indeed some nice surprises...

But to say they are very trek... I'm not so sure; I dont remember star trek being ever that violent. Though I dont see how they could make an interesting game without much combat; as we don't have highly evolved artificial intelligence to handle diplomacy with alien races...
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Another thing I've found great about STO is it's a game I can finally play with my 65 year old father. I grew up watching Kirk, Spock and McCoy get in, and out of all kinds of trouble. Even now occationally share an episode of Enterprise together. And now we play STO together. He doesn't have to PVP and has plenty of fun. We talk about the game pretty much everyday, and the things we have done, and seen. I can PVP from sun up till sun down, and love every bit of it. Even the 5,000 times I get Viral Matrix'd in a day, lol. And we are both playing the same game, in the same guild, enjoying each other, and each others friends on ventrilo playing a game about a subject we all have loved for years.

As the commercial on TV says. It's priceless.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-09-2010, 01:56 AM
As a person who likes to play single player, I like the fact that you play the game as single-player but occassionally you are thrown into mutli-player (open instances). Unlike other MMO's you need to go out and find someone to help.