02-09-2010, 08:18 AM
/facepalm

I knew what it meant.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCoyote
Many, many, MANY liberated Borg Captains in game, myself included.

A bit of a roleplayer, my bio explains that I was being assimilated and rescued mid-process. So I was never fully Borg, but now I'm not fully human.

However...

With the popularity of 7 of 9, there are a lot of numerically named liberated Borg piloting vessels. This just seems HIGHLY unlikely to me, as Star Fleet wouldn't or shouldn't stand for it.

If you were "Tony Jones" when you got assimiliated, now that you are no longer 3 of 3 and half, (half being a midget Borg. It happens.), you should go back to your birth name. Star Fleet wouldn't encourage you to use what is essentially a prisioner of war ID, as it sets you apart, or worse, acknowledges that you are STILL Borg.

And while yes, several "babies" raised as Borg could join starfleet, never having "normal" names - it seems also unlikely that they'd make it through Star Fleet Academy, have an urge to join Star Fleet, period, or could adjust that well to life outside of the collective.

Or am I just off base?
That is a cool brain ya got there!!! Gotta keep that in mind when I roll my Liberated Borg.

But, since the Borg grabbed me up while I was on Spring Break in Cancun, I think my Borg Name would be...

WAIT FOR IT!!!

Cinco De Mayo!!!

:p
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Mine uses her human name with a numeral designation, but she considers herself the third incarnation of a lifeform , having started life as a human, turned into a borg drone, and now a liberated borg being.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Nice twist!

Mine hates the Borg with almost racist passion, and loathes the fact that they can't remove his noggin implant, which makes him borg-pale (but not veiny) and marks him as liberated, not full human.

I also RP chew out any "7 of 9" types I see, as my char takes those names as insult.

"I have a f***ing TOASTER embedded in my melon and you carry their naming IDs like a badge of honor?!?"
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Mine is named Decimal

Her formal designation is still 13 of 29 but that only shows up on the bio
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCoyote
Many, many, MANY liberated Borg Captains in game, myself included.

A bit of a roleplayer, my bio explains that I was being assimilated and rescued mid-process. So I was never fully Borg, but now I'm not fully human.

However...

With the popularity of 7 of 9, there are a lot of numerically named liberated Borg piloting vessels. This just seems HIGHLY unlikely to me, as Star Fleet wouldn't or shouldn't stand for it.

If you were "Tony Jones" when you got assimiliated, now that you are no longer 3 of 3 and half, (half being a midget Borg. It happens.), you should go back to your birth name. Star Fleet wouldn't encourage you to use what is essentially a prisioner of war ID, as it sets you apart, or worse, acknowledges that you are STILL Borg.

And while yes, several "babies" raised as Borg could join starfleet, never having "normal" names - it seems also unlikely that they'd make it through Star Fleet Academy, have an urge to join Star Fleet, period, or could adjust that well to life outside of the collective.

Or am I just off base?
I mostly agree with your points, however, I use some things that make my brain accept this:

1) There were many Borg who were liberated, such as Hue, during the first "rebellion" in TNG. Now, while this particular element downplays 7 of 9's "uniqueness" in "Voyager", it "fits" with what I am currently seeing (an abundance of Borg captains). Someone mentioned this to me and while it's not perfect, I like it as an explanation.

2) In regard to names. One can go several ways here. There are multiple points to address.

a) Yes, the "6 of 12" and so on gets repetitive. I note that when you use the in-game random name generator, it gives you this type of name for your Borg; I have even seen "Twenty-Nine of Nineteen" randomly generated (but did not use it).

b) I like to be different, so I was contemplating using, "Seven" or "Five" or even "One", but I quickly saw others doing that. One way to go would be using higher numbers. A number like "Thirteen" or "Twenty-One" would be nice. Even higher numbers to underline that you are just a minor cog in a machine I considered (but didn't use yet). Such as "Hundred" or "One Hundred" or "Thousand" and so on. Calling yourself by one number lends itself to finding your own identity (RPing as a Borg), which leads to my next point.

c) I am breaking my stream of connected thoughts a bit here: You mentioned Starfleet wouldn't allow one to use a Prisoner of War ID, but what if you have none? Or none that you know? You try to be unique, so choosing one number, like my "b" example above, would lead to this, yet still be "Borgish".

d) And then there is foreign language. We have French playing, Germans, and many other countries, why not use their numerals, especially if you may think you are French (or Spanish or whatever). "Uno", "Huit" "Cinq". One can even use the standard and be unique of "Uno de Quattro". You can further enhance this by...counting in Klingon (especially if you are playing a Liberated Borg Klingon) and taking their numbering system.

e) One thing I didn't do (but I may rename myself) but am still sorta leaning to is taking a numerical name in Esperanto. Esperanto is a language that was "popular" around the 60's that was made up and tried to be an "international" language (since it was made up, no one country possessed and all were on equal terms learning it). Nice theory but it didn't quite catch on in popularity. While not canon, the Gold Key/Dell Star Trek comics took this one step further and had people speaking "Interplanetary Esperanto", so this is a bit of a tip-of-the-hat to them. You come up with something "unique" that fits into a spoken common galactic language (no mechanical translator device needed).

f) You can be slightly "punny" and tragic by naming yourself similar to Data. Names such as "Machine" or "Mannequin" or any type of lifeless-automaton/object.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I named mine Sqrt (that is square root, not squirt) 2 of Pi. Backstory I'm working on has the logic circuit malfunction when she gave her designation. It is supposed to be 1 of 3.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I you wanted to play up something like "Hue" you could always simply call your character "Individual" or "Person". Awakened from the collective, ask someone "What's going on? Where's the Collective? Who am I?" and get the answer "You've been liberated from the collective, you're an individual." And a brain rewired for cold machine logic sees answers to his questions: "What's going on? Where's the Collective?" answered by "You've been liberated from the collective." and "Who am I?" answered by "You're an individual."