# 11
02-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Same problem.

Starbase 24 is a 110% crash chance. : (

phenom 2 865 BE, HD 4890, 8g ddr3 ram.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Another interesting point is however that yes...we all are running ATI graphics cards it seems...
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Setting "Max lights per object" to any value lower than 5 in the advanced graphics settings has enabled me to do the ground part of Starbase 24 without crashing or any symptoms of graphics stuttering (which usually was the precursor to a crash).

This barely lowers the visual quality of the game so while it is clearly a temporary fix, I don't feel inclined to turn it back to 5 when in space and down to 4 while on land ... I just leave it at 4.

- ATI user who _had_ serious crash problems on in-door ground combat missions.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-10-2010, 04:22 PM
ATI card here, Ground missions are a no go for me, i crash nearly all the time without fail.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-10-2010, 04:27 PM
feel free to add me to the list. had no probs with Starbase24 in OB, but taking it on for the first time since going live i had a black screen with some staticyness at the top .25 of the screen. running 2x3870 10.1 cat. gonna see what happens with the lower lights.
it's all here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=112774
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I've also experienced some really bad crashes. But not to desk top...my whole computer crashes hard.

I've experienced it several time son ground missions, especially one of the 'secure base' ones in Arcanis Arm Exploration quest. My sound will go crazy and screech, then my monitor goes out and the light on it changes to orange (indicating its no longer receiving a signal from puter). Only thing for me to do is to hold in power button and shut down whole thing. I also got this one on entering a new system.

As with others I'm using an ATI card ... Radeon 800 XT. I've updated to the latest drivers too....
though ATI's site says driver was released on 11/09 I think and is like version 9.1.1 maybe....and after I install them I check it under device manager and it lists version 8.593 from 09/09.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrmier View Post
I've also experienced some really bad crashes. But not to desk top...my whole computer crashes hard.

I've experienced it several time son ground missions, especially one of the 'secure base' ones in Arcanis Arm Exploration quest. My sound will go crazy and screech, then my monitor goes out and the light on it changes to orange (indicating its no longer receiving a signal from puter). Only thing for me to do is to hold in power button and shut down whole thing. I also got this one on entering a new system.

As with others I'm using an ATI card ... Radeon 800 XT. I've updated to the latest drivers too....
though ATI's site says driver was released on 11/09 I think and is like version 9.1.1 maybe....and after I install them I check it under device manager and it lists version 8.593 from 09/09.
I've had a total system crash as well where I've had to power down completely, it is interesting how we are all using ATI cards downside to that is a bad dev for STO could turn around and say this is an ATI issue but I am sure that wouldnt happen. It is possible however ATI is known to release a bad driver every now and then but they are usually good at correcting it. Just have to see if a new patch from ATI fixes the issue or if the Devs here know of the problem.

A nice fix would be to seperate the ground and space graphics, possible but a lengthy process and would increase loading times between instances for sure.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2010, 03:52 AM
Had the same problem on 4870 until I played a bit with Video Options. It seems that dynamic lighting is the main culprit here - judging by some testing I've done, that one's most reliable to solve the CTD.

Also, I saw a Dev Post around here saying to lower the World Detail to one half.

Ah, here's the thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=93084
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Calidor View Post
Had the same problem on 4870 until I played a bit with Video Options. It seems that dynamic lighting is the main culprit here - judging by some testing I've done, that one's most reliable to solve the CTD.

Also, I saw a Dev Post around here saying to lower the World Detail to one half.

Ah, here's the thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=93084
I saw that yeah, its okay as a temp fix but when you have a system that can play it at max settings easily it is rather annoying to have to lower your settings because its buggy. Hopefully this is just teething problems with a new game as I imagine it would be. And seeing as people who it is effecting have of the same make of card it may be looked at quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Armstrong
I saw that yeah, its okay as a temp fix but when you have a system that can play it at max settings easily it is rather annoying to have to lower your settings because its buggy. Hopefully this is just teething problems with a new game as I imagine it would be. And seeing as people who it is effecting have of the same make of card it may be looked at quickly.
Absolutely. I can run most of the newer games on max settings - Modern Warfare 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragonage... and all of those are graphically superior (well at least technically-wise - artistically, STO wins hands down). It's very annoying then to have to lower the gfx settings.
I guess new Catalyst 10.2's will help, coz a mate in the fleet says he installed RC2 version from mid-January, and on a 32bit system. Ill be waiting the official, x64 version and looking forward to try it out.