Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Hi
I tried, I really did......
I somewhat enjoy the game but it's getting more tedious by the day and I have yet to get my heart pumping in PVP/PVE. I'm starting to lose my drive to level (captain 1)because let's be honest, there's no real drive...I understand that new content is coming out. I have played mmo's for about 6 years, and where some of you say " it's to be expected you obviously haven't played an mmo" pff you are wrong. Don't you think by now they would have at least learned to break that vicious cycle? wasn't it advertised in such a way that it was a new type that put itself in front of the rest? at least in my eyes it was. let's look at pro's and cons.

Pro's of STO:
It comes from one of the most best story arc's of all time..
awesome tv-shows/movies
Nice graphics
Space combat is pretty decent, when it's still new to you. After awhile it kinda drags on, but still good enough to be a pro.

Con's:
No real group play: I have yet to be forced into a group to actually get something done, sorry for using wow as a example but its best thing I can do for everyone to understand better. Even in wow you could level up to max without grouping but you also miss a lot of content, quest's, exp, and most of all loot. In STO there is no real Dungeon type of instance thats connected with missions where you actually need a group an use strategy to overcome bosses, obstacles, etc..I find myself bored and lonely almost the whole time I been playing. This suppose to be an MMO not a online game to do all content alone. Don't even talk about fleet battles or DSE's, first off you don't HAVE to be in a group to complete it, takes pretty much no skill/strategy at all and yea.. its pretty fail, at least in my book.

No crafting: not much to say about this it's pretty self explanitory.

Ground Combat: This I found to be the most tedious of all. Really? 30+ shots from my phaser and your still standing..., dosen't take much skill to complete a mission I feel no sense of accomplishment after. My bridge officer's get stuck at every other doorway. I feel if I bang my head on the keyboard I get the same results.

PVP: This is really badly setup. 80% of the games I play the match starts out with uneven teams, today I was in a match 1 vs 5 (me being on the team with 5) an it balanced out after killing one person 28 times(took about 15 mins), we needed 40 kills to win.
There's no real drive to pvp and yet there's a half-made faction dedicated to progress through this method.
I think if they skinned counter-strike 1.6 with trekkie models they would have better results.
There's no excitment of world pvp, in other mmo's I played I hated getting ganked while fighting mob's, doing quests, etc.. but yet the feeling that its possible kept me on the edge and in full alert at all times which was fun. Ganking people was fun to in a twisted sick sense. There's no territorial control, like for example warhammer/****. I thought this would be the main thing for the klingons, but nothing...of that sort of all.

PVE: You ever get that awesome sense of accomplishment after killing a boss that hardly anyone on your server has killed before? I have an let me tell you it is a good feeling with 24-39 of my buddies which is true to the MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game, AND you get loot. One of the main reasons why WoW is/was so popular..even hogger was a social thing everyone enjoyed. lol
I could go on alot more about the PVE so far. but in short STO feels like a repetitive barrens quest hub. (actually I think barrens alone have more quests then sto does)

Conclusion: Before you go bashing on my grammar/spelling, telling me i'm a troll, and your awesome youtube vids know this. I bought the game in support of something I do love "Star Trek" and mmo's. I really don't mean to discourage the people who really enjoy the game, i'm actually glad for you I wish I could enjoy it to the point I got really addicted I would hardly sleep, I would constantly think about the game when I was not playing it, the adreneline of pvp/pve. I know you all are gonna say hey there's new content coming out its like this in all mmo's, if this was true then where all other succesful mmo's had you addicted to no means after the first day. If you were a game developer would you release a half-made game with no real progression an promise a good endgame? This is after they made a killing just because of the Star Trek license.
Most succesful mmo's had TONS of content before they even needed to add more giving them so much time to polish what they already had.
Everyones talking about what's yet to come, but should I really settle for this and pray what they say is coming is going to at least be better or more dissapointment. STO lacks basic mmo concepts. So before you tell me to quit and the community is better off without me at least know I feel I am entitled to my opinion and my input for buying the game and a new $2,000 machine to play this game on. Who am I kidding I would have spent the 80$ on the comm badge from the collector's edition even if I wasn't planning on playing. To all the trekkies good luck going where no true mmo-gamer has ever gone before. Not sure where that is or even if it's a good thing, I hope it turns out to be. And hey if you see me in game hit me up let's group an see if you can change my view's on the game I always enjoy a decent group to play with
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I feel your pain and concur as somebody that REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted this game to be great.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doset
Conclusion: Before you go bashing on my grammar/spelling, telling me i'm a troll, and your awesome youtube vids know this. I bought the game in support of something I do love "Star Trek" and mmo's. I really don't mean to discourage the people who really enjoy the game, i'm actually glad for you I wish I could enjoy it to the point I got really addicted I would hardly sleep, I would constantly think about the game when I was not playing it, the adreneline of pvp/pve. I know you all are gonna say hey there's new content coming out its like this in all mmo's, if this was true then where all other succesful mmo's had you addicted to no means after the first day. If you were a game developer would you release a half-made game with no real progression an promise a good endgame? This is after they made a killing just because of the Star Trek license.
Most succesful mmo's had TONS of content before they even needed to add more giving them so much time to polish what they already had.
Everyones talking about what's yet to come, but should I really settle for this and pray what they say is coming is going to at least be better or more dissapointment....
Overall I think this is a legitimate post. I don't agree with your feelings but I think everyone is different. I have gotten upset with the people who don't like it and want to rage and try to convince everyone to not like it too. I like the game and Iím quite happy for now. Yes I would need more as time progresses and would leave if it doesnít get here. But as long as Iím enjoying myself I donít see any reason to leave just because it isnít a perfect game. But if anyone isnít enjoying themselves, no matter what game they are playing, I can understand if they didnít want to keep subscribing.

Perhaps I like it because I seem to have a different view of how things are right now with MMOs then some others seem to have. I can see the point where you and I would disagree begins where you say ďMost succesful mmo'sÖĒ. In my opinion there is really only one, WoW. The rest, from the point of the people who have invested the money to develop them, are a bust. The MMO industry is in danger of collapse right now because of a lack of investor (which includes publishers) confidence in the genre. When Blizz brought out WoW and immediately took it up to 3 million paying subscribers, everyone was willing to invest in MMOs. But all the other MMOs keep sinking to 300,000 or less and most are desperately trying things like F2P to keep people there. PC and console games cost much less, take about half the time to develop, don't require ongoing servers and allow you get rid of your development staff when production is finished. You donít need customer service, billing departments, network groups and servers running 24/7. Thatís where the money will go in the future if the MMOs coming out this year donít have a winner that shows some ability to go after the 12milliion that WoW can draw. And Blizz will be the only real MMO company out there since they will be the only ones who can afford to develop one.

Iím amazed that Cryptic was able to convince CBS to transfer the license to them for an MMO when Perpetual couldnít do it after trying for four years. But obviously they had to guarantee CBS they would put it out in 2 years, the same amount of time it takes for most console games. Itís just the way I feel but the current state of the game is fine with me under the circumstances. The starting point was Feb 2 and Iíll measure what we have in the months ahead from that point. I really feel that this kind of model is the only hope for MMOs. They won't come out trying to have everything for everybody on launch. It is just too expensive to do right now. They will need to stay in touch with their player base and begin adding the things their subscribers want after launch and depend on their subscribers to bring in friends. If a few MMOs can begin drawing subscribers like what WoW has done the money will come back. But Iím not seeing that happening for a while. I'm impressed watching the devs make changes (in patches) to the game as they find problems. And seeing Customer Service come out in the Dev Tracker forum and admit when they have screwed up handiling problems is refreshing. Only time will tell but I'm optimistic about STO and having fun.

I hope you can find something you enjoy and believe in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doset
No crafting: not much to say about this it's pretty self explanitory.
I've yet to hear a suggestion for crafting that would work in either the Star Trek IP in general or this game in particular. The devs have said they're looking for a way to have a crafting system, but they pointed out "you're all starship captains, so you can't very well be hanging out in Hydroponics growing broccoli".

The series didn't say much about how, in a replicator-based culture and economy, anything other than specialty items, like those from Picard's family vineyards, is made on the developed worlds of the Federation. If this game allowed us to play colonists, however, it would be quite a different game, and would have a whole new set of complaints from bored players who don't want to watch the quadrotriticale grow.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I personally don't care for PvP. It garners people that do nothing but min/max and if you don't follow the same formula you're gimped. WAR showed us that RvR is flawed as it's too dependent on both sides having fair population. Open World PvP I can't and never will support, in concept it's great. Too bad idiot immature children ruin it (corpse/spawn camping, griefing those way under their level that have no chance, waiting for someone to be weak after a fight to jump them..that isn't skill..that is cowardice.)

That said PvP is popular enough that I understand it's necessity. And PvP in STO fails...and fails hard.

Otherwise I totally agree with what you said. I'm having relative fun for now...but I can see that the drive to level and do quests are diminishing vastly as it's just the same thing over and over and over again (yes all MMO's have repetition...but STO forces you into an extremely linear path that loses it's fun, has no real options outside that one path, and makes it tedious and a chore to create an Alt. Ironically Champions Online suffers this same thing.

And I can't help but shake my head at those saying it's the "norm" for an MMO. At launch MOST OTHER MMO's have multiple times the content STO does. And is less buggy. (one such bug that...bugs..me the most is wielding dual pistols...when you crouch...and sometimes when you just stand their...don't know what I mean go equip them..crouch..stand in one spot and look at it...it's just a small menial example of the mediocre testing and quality control we got from Cryptic because they wanted to rush the game out on schedule to get their bonus.

And if you look at Champions Online the future actually DOESN'T bold well for this game....STO is on the same exact path that Champions is.

Unless Cryptic employee's do a severe change in their entire outlook or someone comes in and fires those in charge now and get's people that know what they're doing..they'll never be more then a second rate MMO creator with low-population, niche games.

That is not worthy of Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I never really looked at it that way, really awesome reply i'm not quitting just yet, only abit dissapointed. and yea wow was just exceptional but I see other mmo's that are good games in their prime and still cater to what's left of the community, i know EQ had some great times, ****, SWG, eve, warhammer, even FFXI and a few more that are decent with a good community not all totally busted. the true point i'm tryin to get at is the actual gameplay that sto lacks from most mmo's the main progression concept. where you feel you are progressing to actually get somewhere rather then 2 weeks max level now what? and the adreneline of pvp/pve which sto lacks. and yea maybe i should have looked into this messy forum for a place this post actually belongs but /shrug, this is me and i'm gonna be patient and pray the game takes off!

EDIT:my reply was for Tigorius
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Have you been reading the quests?
The way STO ties into the movies/TV show and their expansion on the Countdown story is fantastic.
Definatly one of the top 5 MMOs for story content.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziros
Have you been reading the quests?
The way STO ties into the movies/TV show and their expansion on the Countdown story is fantastic.
Definatly one of the top 5 MMOs for story content.
yeap which is why its a pro in my post lol
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
[quote=Jazzlvraz;2016089]I've yet to hear a suggestion for crafting that would work in either the Star Trek IP in general or this game in particular. The devs have said they're looking for a way to have a crafting system, but they pointed out "you're all starship captains, so you can't very well be hanging out in Hydroponics growing broccoli".
QUOTE]

Well Riker was a commander and he still cooked himself, would think at least there would be some special food recipies to be made or something.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigorius
Iím amazed that Cryptic was able to convince CBS to transfer the license to them for an MMO when Perpetual couldnít do it after trying for four years. But obviously they had to guarantee CBS they would put it out in 2 years, the same amount of time it takes for most console games. Itís just the way I feel but the current state of the game is fine with me under the circumstances. The starting point was Feb 2 and Iíll measure what we have in the months ahead from that point. I really feel that this kind of model is the only hope for MMOs. They won't come out trying to have everything for everybody on launch. It is just too expensive to do right now. They will need to stay in touch with their player base and begin adding the things their subscribers want after launch and depend on their subscribers to bring in friends. If a few MMOs can begin drawing subscribers like what WoW has done the money will come back. But Iím not seeing that happening for a while. I'm impressed watching the devs make changes (in patches) to the game as they find problems. And seeing Customer Service come out in the Dev Tracker forum and admit when they have screwed up handiling problems is refreshing. Only time will tell but I'm optimistic about STO and having fun.

I hope you can find something you enjoy and believe in.
I think this sums up how a lot of people feel about STO.

the game was made in a stupidly short amount of time, and the pressure for release date was from CBS, Atari's well posted promise of a "bonus" was an incentive to get it done on schedule. a lot of companies do that.

so we have a game that has -
- a stable engine, well as stable as a MMO engine can be at least.
- content, and enough of it to reach the cap.
- engaging storys in the missions

so is it ready to launch? just barely.. its not going to be the prettiest girl at the dance right now, but she's worth a twirl or two..

the wonderful thing about this, and this is a point i think people often miss, is its here. there is a star trek MMO live and running, tripping over its feet on occasions (or cloaked space stations) but its running.

as time passes it will be built on, it will grow and as long as cryptic can get back to the level of conversation and commitment to the players we saw in the beta's then the community will be a part of shaping that growth. like a Bonsai tree, we could go out and get one thats been prepared and shaped and molded for us, but while its a pretty thing its lacking the depth and personal soul that growing one and shaping it ourselves could have.

if aspects of the core game dont appeal to you, instancing is a big one for many, or the way it actually plays then its likely that it'll never be the game you want it to be. if the big turn off right now is too much combat, not enough other stuff, and that parts of the game are too repetative, then i would say either stick around or come back in a while, because these are things that can be changed, that can grow and be shaped with feedback and support. (they fairly radically altered ground combat in closed beta, adding in various elements people use all the time now, like rolling, sprinting and the time pause)

however you choose to go with it, please remember that it will be the community who stays with the game who will be a part of that growth, and if you want a voice in that you will need to stick around.

and finally, just for the hell of it and because i feel the need to lighten the tone somewhat. can i have your stuff? :p