Lt. Commander
# 1 What people want Borg Faction
02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Hello im Soka and im a Borg-aholic and i make this "thread" what ever that means to ask the great STO public if they think a borg faction would be good or bad for STO and why they think it would work
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Good, but the skill system and BOff system would have to be significantly altered for it to work... so I'd say no time soon. Maybe an expansion. It'd be a lot of work on Cryptic's part to implement... but hey, so would any new faction.

I'm more concerned about being able to play a Cardassian, myself. Romulan would be pretty cool, too, but I really want Cardassians.

Edit: Or bring back the Dominion and make them playable. Playing as a Jem'Hadar would be bad*ss
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 01:08 PM
i disagree i think that the skill system is fine, for borg what about it do you see being wrong for a borg faction
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderSoka View Post
i disagree i think that the skill system is fine, for borg what about it do you see being wrong for a borg faction
Well, there's really very little reason to use varying weaponry if you were part of the Collective. Different classes of ship, sure, but different forms of weaponry? Not really. Unless we're talking a splinter faction of the Borg like the one that split off as a result of Hugh's individuality.

So that throws out the weapon spec trees.

Also, bridge officers would pretty much not exist, and if they did, they wouldn't be customized the same way. Therefore, all skill trees relating to BOffs would be tossed out.

It'd be very hard to use the current system to create a playable Borg faction that's in any way connected to the Collective.

But as I said before, if this is an individualized, splinter group, then yes, it'd work.

But that'd hardly be Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 01:16 PM
i think if take into account on how the borg is after the voyager attacks they would be in anyplace to use weapons they picked up from other races and stuff, and borg have a profession and race system, race is just anything assimilated and borg are split into assimilation (sci) tactical drones and maintance drones so thats that and each could focus in nanites, or assimilation and stuff and for weapons they could just have armatures that they add the weapon to so it changes look abit for different weapons and fires different things, and you forget the basic .. its a game it dont gotta be "the show" borg just has to be fun to play and be true to borg

as for BO they would just be the top drones within there fields IE 1 of 9 of the engineering group of drones on a ship, thats simple way to put it in a STO view, like a drone dealing with communitaction to collective in center of ship talks to them through nodes, then they talk to sub drones of each areas they are in
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 01:26 PM
That's the thing, though. There are no "top drones." That's too individual. Each drone has the same attributes and abilities as each other drone. They may be seperated into "castes" sure, for the sake of efficiency. A "tactical" caste, a "builder/engineer" caste. But each drone within their given caste would be just as efficient and skilled as the next one.

The number designations have always confused me. Why do they need a way to differentiate between drones? There's no reason for it.

Just as there's no reason for a "top" drone in any department, caste, section, whatever you want to call it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
meh they could add somthing with the borg vs undine stuff players get to choose which side they want to help.. the borg.. eliminating the 8472s.. or helping zee undine (8472) wipe out the borg. ? :O
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
thats the thing there is a class system and always has been in everything, you have to have someone bigger than another thing for something to function, in that a borg needs nodes and such to link to collective and i feel that every drone is equal sure BUT you still need a drone that deals with running of things and drones for the doing of things in a borg ship
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Not to bash your desires but.... it's a bad idea for Cryptic to implement the Borg as a playable race. You have Liberated Borg or Lib Borg BOffs. But if they were to implement the Borg as a playable race this game would just be a PVP only game. Which is no fun. Some PvP yes but you need a good PvE content to continue a storyline.

The thing is... that every MMO that wants to have a long lasting PvE content need to have a common enemy amongst all factions. Giving players the ability to compete as well as try to prevent others from attaining more than them. In any MMO there was always a specific faction that was against the World or Universe. I.E. Everquest the Gods of the Planes were every factions enemy. As well as other factions cities and races. Dark Elves were hated among other "Good" factions like Humans and Wood Elves etc etc. In WoW the Burning Legion and the Scourge were the main two Factions that were against the worlds Factions. etc. etc.

For any good PvE content and storyline there has to be a non playable faction that every person wants and can fight against to progress and overcome. The Borg fits this faction perfectly. They are a threat to everything Romulan, Cardassian, Klingon, Federation and any other society or alien species. Perhaps in a future expansion or content patch they might implement a mission that would in fact aid the Borg or some sort of covert operation but anything more would kind of eliminate the "Common Enemy" factor of PvE content.

Just my opinion
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Merc's got a good point, I didn't think about it like that.