Lt. Commander
# 21
02-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganUK View Post
Tricky one... It would have to be a renegade borg faction or there would be no individuality, and to be honest, the liberated borg already has that covered.

I cant see any really valid way to make it a playable faction, at most they could be used in a way like LOTR's play a monster, or WoW when a player can be changed into a ghoul. Maybe being defeated by the borg allows you to be a borg who can attack anything and anyone until killed.
Would be neat to have a war zone where you could be assimilated and your ship turns into an assimilated ship and you can assimilate others.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderSoka View Post
thats the thing there is a class system and always has been in everything, you have to have someone bigger than another thing for something to function, in that a borg needs nodes and such to link to collective and i feel that every drone is equal sure BUT you still need a drone that deals with running of things and drones for the doing of things in a borg ship
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. The Borg is a collective, One mind.
Think of it more like a giant brain. Just like are brains it automatically handles all the lower automatic function like breathing pumping the hart and digesting food and the like.

The Borg brain would handle all the day to day task of running the cube and would treat each Borg as just a part of the brain and Just as when we lose brain cell we donít notice or care nor would the Borg brain care if it lost individual drones.

I for one would not like to see Borg as a playable faction. Keep them as bad guys and up there lethality to match that shown in the show. It is sad to think one curser can now kill a cube when in the show one cube destroy 30 or 40 ships.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerjohn View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. The Borg is a collective, One mind.
Think of it more like a giant brain. Just like are brains it automatically handles all the lower automatic function like breathing pumping the hart and digesting food and the like.

The Borg brain would handle all the day to day task of running the cube and would treat each Borg as just a part of the brain and Just as when we lose brain cell we donít notice or care nor would the Borg brain care if it lost individual drones.

I for one would not like to see Borg as a playable faction. Keep them as bad guys and up there lethality to match that shown in the show. It is sad to think one curser can now kill a cube when in the show one cube destroy 30 or 40 ships.
I think the battleground is a little more even now. At the same time I agree it should take more ships to take out a cube.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-10-2010, 07:09 AM
The close of beta event gave us a glimpse of how the Borg will be. SCARY.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-10-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm against Borg as a playable race.

A player commanding one Borg, and one ship, goes against what makes the Borg the Borg. They're not a race of individuals, they are one single collective. Each drone is a part of this collective in the same way a grain of sand is part of a beach.
A Borg doesn't decide what to do on his own. When confronted with a problem, any number of drones in the collective can share their memories and experiences on the subject, and the Borg as a collective makes a decision about what needs to be done. The individual Borg does as the collective has decided (including killing itself if that's determined to be the best course of action).
Playing a borg realisticly would be like playing Simon-Says. "Collective says go left" "Collective says reinforce aft shields" "fire torpedoes.....gotcha, didn't say collective says!".

Another thing is that the Borg make a great pve-enemy. They have a built in reason to be everyones enemy. Everyone who isn't Borg will be assimilated to become Borg. Plus they are powerful. A single borg cube can (or should) handle multiple enemy ships. If they are made into a player-faction, they need to be toned down. And having weaker Borg would be a shame.
Let them be pve-enemies, so they can remain in their full potential.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundarr

A player commanding one Borg, and one ship, goes against what makes the Borg the Borg. They're not a race of individuals, they are one single collective. Each drone is a part of this collective in the same way a grain of sand is part of a beach.
A Borg doesn't decide what to do on his own. When confronted with a problem, any number of drones in the collective can share their memories and experiences on the subject, and the Borg as a collective makes a decision about what needs to be done. The individual Borg does as the collective has decided (including killing itself if that's determined to be the best course of action).
Playing a borg realisticly would be like playing Simon-Says. "Collective says go left" "Collective says reinforce aft shields" "fire torpedoes.....gotcha, didn't say collective says!".

Another thing is that the Borg make a great pve-enemy. They have a built in reason to be everyones enemy. Everyone who isn't Borg will be assimilated to become Borg. Plus they are powerful. A single borg cube can (or should) handle multiple enemy ships. If they are made into a player-faction, they need to be toned down. And having weaker Borg would be a shame.
this mentality that the borg are one mind is very wrong, the borg are a HIVE mind, they work like computers, and share info across to each drone when needed, the borgs are indivuals but only in the sence that they have no emotion and things that would see in other races, they still do indivual tasks and goals for the betterment of the collective, you cant say every computer in world is ONE MIND, as they all share and can be combined to be more powerfull prossessor but still can act on there own, a being of any kind couldnt exsist without some sort of indivuality, the borg just dont have it in sence of a social and humanity aspect but not in the way of being about to act on the infomation given to them

for example if a borg drone is on a ship does all drones on ship get told to do exactly same thing, and every drone in the collective does exactly same thing..... no because they arnt one mind they are DRONES they do as told, what do you do in a MMO... you do missions as your TOLD ... so how is you doing set missions for federation any different to being a drone doing as your told.. and could easy explane that the abit more freedom to a drone is to do with the after math of voyagers attack on borg collective mind, my opinion anyway

and also people remember one thing my perants always told me .... ITS A GAME/SHOW, it is what you need it to be to make it fun, why is making a good playable race for a MMO so wrong if it holds true to the race , apart from moding to fit its new role within something else... plenty of other games have had Borg as a playable fun race and had no problems, armada and 2 and fleet command.. people didnt moan then about indivuality, why should STO be any different
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundarr

I have to agree I want to be scared when I see a Borg cube.

It would be good end game content having to defend against a Cube at full strength
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-14-2010, 04:34 PM
It could be interesting. Everyone would be similar to either Locutus or The Borg Queen.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Borg are cool, and I would play as them in a heart beat. I think they should have made the Borg faction way before the Klingons... but that's jus tmy opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-14-2010, 07:21 PM
A Borg faction makes no sense, you want to play a mindless automaton who is a slave to the will of a collective?