Lt. Commander
# 1 problem with player skills
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
as a LC you are able to equip mk iv weapons on your ship, this included plasma beams. the skill to improve plasma beams is in the captain catagory. as cmdr my choices for weapon skills are phaser and distuptor, which is pointless to put skill points into since i am using plasma weapons.. the same goes for torpedos, as cmdr i have the options for quantum and photon, but as i have plasma equiped, their skill upgrades are in the captain section..

something needs to be done about the way we aquire skills, and the requirement of spending points for rank up needs to be removed so we can save our points for things we really want to use them for, instead of being forced to dump them into useless skills just to get to the next rank.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
As if anyone knows what half the skills actually improve anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 11:28 PM
The issues with the skill cap and skill point usage go beyond the fact that you have to spend a certain amount to get to the next rank. However, I'd argue that the current setup requires that you plan ahead for how you want to be endgame, which sort of sucks for newer players. This wouldn't be a huge an issue if there was a respec option (which should be coming, though it'd be nice if it were free -- which i doubt it will be).