Lt. Commander
# 11
02-09-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree, some people just rush the content. This also prevents crafters from collecting samples as they work their way up.

And you just don't know who you are grouping with, unlike other MMOs which you ask or they ask you to join their group. Instead, you are just thrown together and expect you to work together.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Mars View Post
If you want to group with me send me a tell and introduce yourself, then send me an invite. I decline blind invites as a matter of policy and have my auto-team turned off.

In addition, as has been pointed out above, most MMO players want to rush through things and I don't care for that kind of gameplay.
This. I'll only group with people who ask if I would like to join up.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-09-2010, 08:40 PM
The two big reasons I dislike the current implementation of autogrouping are:

1. Spawns and difficulty increase exponentially once you have three or more in the group. Doing missions as a duo raises the difficulty to make it challenging enough, any more than that and even if the others see the NPCs as -10, and even they can be overwhelmed easily.

2. AFKers and people who aren't with the program. Mission objectives first, if you want to race to the anomalies, do it after everything is done. If you're taking a smoke break while the rest of us are slogging it out, you deserve to go to a Special Hell. This goes for those of you who help ramp up the difficulty as a third or fourth member, then bail, leaving just one or two of us to try to complete the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-09-2010, 08:47 PM
i love it but it's broken and doesn't work for me anymore. known bug.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
I turn it on for sector battles and fleet actions if I'm not already part of a team. I turn it off for episode missions, patrols, and exploration.

Why do I turn it off? Several reasons, some of which people have already hit on.

- I like to be able to read the mission updates and take my time about things. In open teams I often feel rushed, which I don't like.

- I am one of those people that likes to grab anomalies as I pass them in a mission - I absolutely *hate* leaving stuff behind. And yeah, no offense to the poster above who said people should get stuff like that afterwards, but that's a perfect example of why I *don't* turn on auto-teaming in a lot of cases.

- When a mission has a space/ground part to it, inveitably someone clicks on beam down while the rest of the team is still grabbing the loot from the last ship kill or two. And the stupid window pops up in the middle of the screen and blocks everything else that anyone might be trying to do. It's frustrating and annoying, and when I'm trying to follow a story I'd rather not have to train people to stop and make sure everyone is ready first every single time I team up with anyone. So, I keep open teaming off when doing this stuff.

Honestly, if the devs were to address some of this stuff (especially the way popups interrupt everything else), I might actually use open teaming more often. It's a great concept and I think it has the potential to add a lot to the experience for people.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I like it a lot actually, I'm usually the solo type mainly because I hate looking for groups. The game does it for me, it's one of my favs features.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
I like it a lot actually, I'm usually the solo type mainly because I hate looking for groups. The game does it for me, it's one of my favs features.
That's how I feel about the Auto-Team feature. In WoW and other games like it I just HATE looking for groups. And then whenever I do find a group, I end up with a bunch of jerks. I know the likely-hood of that happening in this game is just as great BUT it also seems there's quite a few more mature players in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Auto team was a good thing for me, I still leave it on based on the off chance i'll get grouped and meet some more people but most people at captain have it turned off .

3 out of the 6 people in my fleet are people I got because of auto teaming.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
i love it but it's broken and doesn't work for me anymore. known bug.
Same for me, I haven't joined an open team since my early days
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-10-2010, 03:06 AM
I leave the auto team on, but the last few teams that it has put me in have been so bad that I have had to quit team and start the mission over. The last time I was in an uto team I was in one of the larger multi spawn missions and about 100k from the start, I had taken out 5/7 of the spawns and was traveling at full impulse towards the next marker when three other people where suddenly added to the team. Just after this happened I got into the range needed to spawn the enemies who then spawned for a team of 4.

So there I am facing a large group of enemies and when I look at the team window none of the distances under the players are moving, I try asking in team chat if they are on their way and got no reply. Then one of the players shows up as being in sector space. After a few minutes of no movement or chat I had to quit team and start the mission from scratch.

The team before that, one player was showing as being in starbase 24, one player had discovered that they can go backwards and turn at the same time, so was doing large reverse loops. and one player was rushing straight towards the anomoly, dying, respawning and rushing straight back to the same anomoly.

So ocasionaly you get a good team, but far more often you get a silent team that seems to be made up of stoned capuchin monkeys in a lab somewhere as a part of a psychology test.:p