Lt. Commander
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Borg-Species_8472_War

We kinda told the Borg how to kill them. Whoops.

On the other hand, they planned to purge us...so all's fair.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
yeah.. this all happened in star trek: voyager
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
That's the thing though,I thought Janeway fixed all that. Then again, the Undine are using Federation citizens to attack the other governments, so although not an overt attack against the Federation, but it would make the Federation look bad with the other governments. Someone ought to go find Boothby and ask him nicely for them to cut it out already
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
That's the thing though,I thought Janeway fixed all that. Then again, the Undine are using Federation citizens to attack the other governments, so although not an overt attack against the Federation, but it would make the Federation look bad with the other governments. Someone ought to go find Boothby and ask him nicely for them to cut it out already
Janeway had managed to calm down that particular group of Undine/8472's.
The boothby pretender said he was going to speak to the others, but that he "hoped" some would see the light.
But from the looks of STO it seems as if he failed and the rest of them did not agree that humans were not a threat.

********SPOILER**************

In one of the captain missions you learn that the Unidine are actually only causing trouble because they still think that the other races pose a threat to them.
One specificly plans to blow up DS9 as a warning to all the other races to stay out of their realm.
So once again its not that they are maleovelant, but extreme fear.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I never liked how Voyager resolved itself anyway. I mean, the borg are by far the coolest enemies in Star Trek and to kill them off and replace them with a lame bio race from another dimension? Come on... you can't kill the borg off that easy.

It just felt like they were trying to artificially create a worse enemy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwasher View Post
I never liked how Voyager resolved itself anyway. I mean, the borg are by far the coolest enemies in Star Trek and to kill them off and replace them with a lame bio race from another dimension? Come on... you can't kill the borg off that easy.

It just felt like they were trying to artificially create a worse enemy.
they didn't kill off the borg though. if anything it was an extremely farfetched contrivance used to introduce seven's character, rather then make a more powerful enemy.

and think about it from the fear standpoint mentioned. the borg could not defeat the undine by themselves. other races seemed to cower before the borg and i am sure the undine noticed, and yet this "inferior race" that could not even defeat the borg managed to develop a weapon that the undine, who were beating the borg, could not defend against.

if an "inferior" race can figure out a way to defeat you, wouldn't you be fearful of them in the future?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I haven't done any of the Undine quests (I am but a lowly Lieutenant Commander), but has anyone at Starfleet thought of using the nanoprobes the Doctor created to stop the Undine in stead of phasers and torpedoes? I guess that would make our jobs too easy.
And is there any precedent to calling Species 8472 the Undine, or did Cryptic make that up? I'm not too familiar with extracanonical sources.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I thought the Undine were Species 8472. Am I mistaken? I don't remember 8472 having shapeshifting powers, but I also don't really know much about the Species period.

Okay, I just looked them up, apparently they can change shape, so they must be the same race. Apparently they're very xenophobic to begin with. Maybe because they are the only denizens of fluid space, but I don't think they are (they might be, that would explain a lot).

Obviously they're fearful, but that doesn't justify their aggressive expanse. They're not even trying diplomacy, they probably don't consider the other races worthy of interaction. Their superior biology probably does give them some sort of eugenics mentality.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwasher View Post
I thought the Undine were Species 8472. Am I mistaken? I don't remember 8472 having shapeshifting powers, but I also don't really know much about the Species period.

Okay, I just looked them up, apparently they can change shape, so they must be the same race. Apparently they're very xenophobic to begin with. Maybe because they are the only denizens of fluid space, but I don't think they are (they might be, that would explain a lot).

Obviously they're fearful, but that doesn't justify their aggressive expanse. They're not even trying diplomacy, they probably don't consider the other races worthy of interaction. Their superior biology probably does give them some sort of eugenics mentality.
In voyager there was an episode where they came across a station which was mimicked like sstarfleet academy and 8472 were posing as humans and such in the academy, in order to get ready to infiltrate the federation i think they needed to take a drug of somekind to shapeshift though if memory serves correct
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulzo View Post
In voyager there was an episode where they came across a station which was mimicked like sstarfleet academy and 8472 were posing as humans and such in the academy, in order to get ready to infiltrate the federation i think they needed to take a drug of somekind to shapeshift though if memory serves correct
Correct, Season 5 "In the flesh"