Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Kits, weapons, strategies.

What's the most useful kit for a science officer in ground PVP, in your opinion? I've been using the Medic Mk IV kit and fully supporting my team. Do you get exp points for healing, by the way? I know it shows how much you healed at the end of the match but do you actually get rewarded for solely healing?

What about weapons? I like using the full-auto assault rifle to expose enemies for my team, and I carry a disruptor sniper rifle IV to pick off any exposed targets, although I rarely use it because I'm busy supporting (low level by the way; these gear are the best available for me).

Any opinions or comments about science officers in ground PVP? Some tips would be much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Our guess is that you get half credit for healing. That is, 1000 healing counts the same as 500 damage.

I don't know this for sure but we've checked results on a number of games and while healing counts for something, it's definitely not 1:1 with damage. (On a related note, engineer shield heals don't count at all. Or at least, they don't register as "healing".)

As for kits, I'm not sure of the names of them since I play tactical, but I can tell you the good ones are the ones with AE holds. I personally carry literally half a backpack full of hypo stacks. I don't need a healer. Curing my exposes is nice but I think we do better when our science guys focus on AE holds and AE expose attacks.

As for weapons, the expose weapon you use is debatable. Arguably if you're doing a lot of kit exposes you don't even need to carry an expose weapon -- just carry 2 exploit weapons. Otherwise it's a question of how much range, angle and damage you want, or if you want the stun pistol for the 2 second stun every 6 seconds, which is very handy.

For the exploit weapon, I use nothing but the split beam rifle. In fact, I have 2 of them now and I switch between them. They don't share a timer, even though it's 2 of the same identical weapon. Go figure. The split beam rifle does the same damage as the sniper rifle but hits up to 4 targets. The only thing the sniper rifle has going for it is the 66% chance of knockdown (and maybe a little range but I'm not sure about that). I can't really think of a case for using any exploit weapon other than the split beam rifle.

(Split beam assault weapons aren't a terrible choice. It's a bit less damage but a wider cone and it hits more targets than the rifle. Handy for blowing up a whole big engineer setup. But in general I think the split beam rifle is the best.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Are we talking about the same tier of gear here? (Lieutenant Commander). Or maybe you got the things mixed up. At the Klingon starbase NPC, there's a Disrupter Pulse Rifle which has an expose attack. And as for the pistols, there's the Disruptor Dual Pistols (w/ expose attack) and the Disruptor Compression Pistol (w/ exploit attack).

The stun pistol... I'm guessing you're referring to the compression pistol? It doesn't say anything about stun in the item description but that sounds really interesting.

By split beam rifle, are you talking about the disrupter pulse rifle?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgery
Are we talking about the same tier of gear here? (Lieutenant Commander). Or maybe you got the things mixed up. At the Klingon starbase NPC, there's a Disrupter Pulse Rifle which has an expose attack. And as for the pistols, there's the Disruptor Dual Pistols (w/ expose attack) and the Disruptor Compression Pistol (w/ exploit attack).

The stun pistol... I'm guessing you're referring to the compression pistol? It doesn't say anything about stun in the item description but that sounds really interesting.

By split beam rifle, are you talking about the disrupter pulse rifle?

Are you looking at the vendor you buy things with credits from or the vendor you use tokens for?

The token vendors are where you get your good gear.

The weapon merchant for your tier is going to be directly in front of you and a little to the left when entering the east wing of the station, where the ground PvP vendors are.

The pistol he is talking about is the phaser stun pistol, there is also a phaser wide beam, but all that does is mild aoe damage. The split beam he is talking about is the phaser split beam rifle, off of the same vendor. There are vendors in that area that sell kits and armor as well, so stock up!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Kits, weapons, strategies.

What's the most useful kit for a science officer in ground PVP, in your opinion? I've been using the Medic Mk IV kit and fully supporting my team. Do you get exp points for healing, by the way? I know it shows how much you healed at the end of the match but do you actually get rewarded for solely healing?

What about weapons? I like using the full-auto assault rifle to expose enemies for my team, and I carry a disruptor sniper rifle IV to pick off any exposed targets, although I rarely use it because I'm busy supporting (low level by the way; these gear are the best available for me).

Any opinions or comments about science officers in ground PVP? Some tips would be much appreciated.

As for this...

I think it is a bit of a toss up. I have seen teams with awesome healing support, and they are usually incredibly tough nuts to crack. The flipside of this is that the teams with aoe exposes/holds are also incredibly powerful.

When two teams using the different strats hit, it is pretty much chance as to who will come out on top when they meet. The healing team will win the fight where the expose chance just fails to show and the exploit team is going to decimate the opposition when they get some great expose procs.

I think time will tell which setup is the best to run with, but if you are doing a preset team then thie following setup might be best:

Science: healing and single target hold
Science: AoE expose
Engineer: for the lulz (or handy constructable things)
Tactical: Stealth with AoE exploit weapons so they can stealth to the back and unleash hell.
Tactical: AoE group support (Overwatch and Rally?)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Does having a high level of the Science officer skills like Scientific Theory improve things like that AoE root skill? And how does it improve it exactly? Like... longer root? Higher % to expose? What?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I am fairly certain that having points spent in the ground skills improve all of the kit abilities that correspond with that skill. The amount that it increases that skill is by a percentage equal to the number in the box on the right, or that is what I have been lead to believe.

So lets say you have 5 points in Scientific Theory and those five points get you 26 points towards Gravometric Shift, that means that the duration of Gravometric Shift's root is going to be 26% longer than the base amount.

Granted, I have not tested this or anything, but I am assuming this is the case.

I doubt it increases exposure chance since being able to increase that in such a way would probably be overpowered.

Increased skill points spent most likely reduce the chance the enemy will resist the effects of your skills.

Edit: Also, /wave

Fancy running into you in those matches, heh.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I've levelled my Science Klink purely through pvp. I usually carry one of every kit and depending on the enemy pug skills, will usually either use Gravametric (if the team I face is unco-ordinated) or straight heals if they are very co-ordinated. The resist buff with, heal helps mitigate damage (15secs give or take). I tend to use Gravametric the most. Ive found the other kits to be ok.. but Gravametric to be stella.

I have my science officer tree maxed to 9. The only appreciable difference Ive seen with regards to kits is the cooldown is much quicker with skills of 9.

Weapon wise, usually go with the distruptor sniper and bat'leth.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Hmm, yes I do find gravimetric field to be the best kit now. It's so freaking awesome to see a Fedball in ground pvp all huddled up in a corner with turrets and energy shields, then AoE rooting them all and scanning to 'expose' at the same time and wiping them away with the split beam rifle (thanks for showing me; it really is a great weapon).

Is there another kit with a higher level Gravimetric Field? Because I haven't seen any; although I'm only level 20 at the moment.

@Bulkhead, so you maxed out the science officer ground skills? Which ones exactly? Scientific Theory 9, Doctor 9, etc?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Hmm, yes I do find gravimetric field to be the best kit now. It's so freaking awesome to see a Fedball in ground pvp all huddled up in a corner with turrets and energy shields, then AoE rooting them all and scanning to 'expose' at the same time and wiping them away with the split beam rifle (thanks for showing me; it really is a great weapon).

Is there another kit with a higher level Gravimetric Field? Because I haven't seen any; although I'm only level 20 at the moment.

@Bulkhead, so you maxed out the science officer ground skills? Which ones exactly? Scientific Theory 9, Doctor 9, etc?
There is, but it doesn't unlock till Captain or Admiral, one of the two.