Lt. Commander
# 11
02-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenGer View Post
I find that a whole lot of these people complaining are the power gamers that rush to the end game as fast as possible. I have to laugh at those people for once and say that you screwed yourself. It was stated many times that the end game content is not there, its coming (which I whoelheartedly applaud, tired of MMO's coming out with no early game content and tons of end game content).

This game was never meant to be a power game, and having been part of most of the major MMO launches all the way back to eq, I find that so many people flaming STO have not been around long enough, or have not had enough experience with MMO launches.

STo launch is one of the smoothest launches I have seen to date. Even wow wasnt this good at launch. Far more bugs, Vastly inferior stability, etc.

I for one am glad to see the power gamers, and wow fanbois go away. I dont need or want there kind in this game anyways.

If done properly, STO can be an amazing game once it has been around long enough to make it through the launching phase (which usually takes 6 months to 1.5 years to complete).

When I do missions and stuff with my friends, I find that this game is the one game where I actually rioleplay and have an amazing time.

i tried RP in other MMO's, but I could never stick to it.

Now I go around saying Full power to shields! Target the lead BOP! that kind of thing.

i feel like I am actually playing episodes of ST, havent had so much fun in many years. WOW was NEVER as much fun as STO is (for me)!
Not disagreeing with you, it was a relatively smooth launch, but do keep in mind. Games your comparing that too are those which had far more depth to it and simply was a more complex system to work with.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Quote:
I find that a whole lot of these people complaining are the power gamers that rush to the end game as fast as possible. I have to laugh at those people for once and say that you screwed yourself. It was stated many times that the end game content is not there, its coming (which I whoelheartedly applaud, tired of MMO's coming out with no early game content and tons of end game content).

This game was never meant to be a power game, and having been part of most of the major MMO launches all the way back to eq, I find that so many people flaming STO have not been around long enough, or have not had enough experience with MMO launches.

STo launch is one of the smoothest launches I have seen to date. Even wow wasnt this good at launch. Far more bugs, Vastly inferior stability, etc.

I for one am glad to see the power gamers, and wow fanbois go away. I dont need or want there kind in this game anyways.

If done properly, STO can be an amazing game once it has been around long enough to make it through the launching phase (which usually takes 6 months to 1.5 years to complete).

When I do missions and stuff with my friends, I find that this game is the one game where I actually rioleplay and have an amazing time.

Now I go around saying Full power to shields! Target the lead BOP! that kind of thing.

i feel like I am actually playing episodes of ST, havent had so much fun in many years. WOW was NEVER as much fun as STO is (for me)!
it seems i can still post (my present subscription time runs out march 7th so they have till then to impress me)

i quoted you as i have to say i am not a power player, i like to take my time and savour a game this however ceased being fun after maybe a day of gameplay, its all the same, its all repeatitive

yes my critisim could be considered flaming the game but im expressing my views, some of which i fully realise people see differently, hell i know some people like a nice casual game with repeatitive gameplay and if they enjoy that then im happy for them. i also understand a lot stay for the IP (even i have tried to really like the game due to it being startrek but theres so much that feels wrong about the game and abuses to the IP are very bad (trills being a prime example, go on look up trill in wikis or memory alpha they are highly susceptable to toxins, in game they have bonus immunity from toxins lol)

this had so much potential and still does, i thoughly intend to try the game again at a latter date if half of the stuff that needs to be fixed is and they stop these cop outs (crafting sytem...no its a shop or barter system)

it feels like they just got champions online DEVS or city of hereos DEVS and said "guys adapt that engine to a star trek game and lets make some money"
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-09-2010, 07:49 PM
I do agree the missions are a bit repetitive. I'd like to see more like the one where you have to talk to the people and then report back in the start of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
it feels like they just got champions online DEVS or city of hereos DEVS and said "guys adapt that engine to a star trek game and lets make some money"
it was more like CBS got the Devs from CO, and the devs from CoH, and told them to get it done fast because the last two companies had been messing around for the passed 8 years, and they want to make money to pay back the investors.

it's sad, but don't blame the puppet, blame the puppet master.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:

Agree all of this.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Allow me to respond in kind

1) its a single player game (teams of 4 people are not a full mmo experience)
disagree
2) you have butchered the IP (trills imune to toxins?!?! federation officers running around with guns in a federation starbase!?!? stealing from a monestry ?!?! no stuning or locking up all kill kill kill kill!!! )
See your point, but it is a game
3) every mission is the same fly here kill that click this hunt that
Valid, but I belive, and hop it will get better
4) its not worth the money
what is?
5) you have done nothing to stop gold farmers invading our chat and mail
way true, but from a programming standpoint, thats a tough one
6) no reason to work with others
got to say thats on you, I have worked with many folks ingame
7) crafting system is a shop not a crafting system
true but its been posted that it isnt implemented yet
8) wheres the ability to explore and name planets as promised in prevouse interviews
Dead on with this point
9) severly dumbed down gameplay, wheres the advanced features
Norm for now days games, everyone want to be uber
10) useless bridge that serves no functionality
Agree
11) disrupters able to be fitted to fed ships and phasers to klingon ships (see butchering IP)
If you follow trek, adapting other tech is in the stories
12) name filter not working (if i see one more kirk or picard flying the uss lolipop ill scream)
....LOL........
13) server taken down peak time on a sunday (GMT)
Their servers do suc
14) no wildlife on the planets unless its needed to be shot at or scanned
Very valid point
15) no ability to beam down to planets to explore
not true, I beamed down to risa, but it wasnt to slick
16) no engineering screen or science screen etc
eh? not a big deal
17) no imersion (instead of load screens have a view of the bridge with an animation in the view screen of warp or see the crew beam out and beam in)
True
18) server unable to handle all us mugs that brought the game (doubt that will be a problem a few months down the line)
Bought the game, and yeah. but this is a repeat point
19)no depth, all seemed to be aimed at casual gamers not real gamers.
Your opinon, I mean what is Your definition of a REAL gamer?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Quote:

Got to say this is happening to alot of folks, not just power gamers, and I have fun with the game AS A STARTING POINT
Lt. Commander
# 18 Agreed brother!
02-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I totally agree with you, not worth it. I just made my own little forum rant myself. This sucks cryptic, make something happen quick or your gonna lose this game and all the profits it could have generated for you.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlinker
-.- This could be an interesting study! Lets start early! *hands you a drink* lol

@OP

You flame the game (with some really poor points I might add) and then ask to not be flamed? ...

Yeah, I won't bother... I'm just curious as to where people brought the game... was there a party I missed?
I agree that such obvious attacks aren't very helpful or productive, but no, how are his points bad? They're mostly accurate.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I see valid points for a lot of the IP issues... but I don't care. It's war time... If a disrupter is the best weapon I can find, that's is what I am going to use. I expect anyone else that wants to survive to do the same.

In this aspect Cryptic is the bad guy either way. Star Trek as a whole is too lofty and paradise on many of the series. If they follow that then the game is BLAND as hell because of soo many restriction. If they show the flaw in the IP, by allowing someone to do what people really would do. They make a better game but the fanbois want to gather the pitchforks

I don't mind the server issues, I didn't mind it when it happened on WoW either... I have been playing MMOs since the time a new patch meant the game was not going to work correctly for days. The new generation of gamers just have no idea so I don't expect any amount of understanding from them.

The one thing I find hard to excuse is the lack of endgame... I really like the ship combat in this game.
I think the foundation is there to make a badass game, but no one is going to stick around to play it if there is nothing to do a month from now.

I am not saying they need 10 equivalent raid bosses, but I really think they messed up with the borg... About once every few days they could have made a server announcement saying something like a borg cube has been detected at X sector slowly moving to earth.
Instead of just killing you and poof you are back in the fight the borg would assimilate debuff you upon "death" and you'd get 2 options. Wait out the 2 min debuff in space, or select to do a ground mission on your own ship where you have to get rid of the drones.

I do not have the whole thing worked out, I am not a developer. All I am saying we HAVE to have something to fight for beyond another kill 5 ships kind of missions if there is going to be a meaningful amount of retention in this game.