Lt. Commander
# 1 STO isnt even on version 1.0
02-15-2010, 12:37 AM
The version number says its STO.0.2XXXXXXX

A friend of mine claims that it wasn't meant to be released for another year but because Star Wars will be coming out in about that year Atari pushed it out a whole year early to get the jump on a new space MMO.

Is that true? I don't know.

If it is true its pretty bogus on the part of whoever is in charge to release a completely unfinished game and then charge us for stuff in the C-store.

However everyone trolling "RAWWW /rage quit" should realize that this is NOT the finished game. Things will change. Content will be added. Game mechanics will be tweaked.

I for one am happy it is out as I am enjoying it.

Will I pay after the first month? I don't know yet. i think I'll stick around at least until the big patch comes out in 45 days or so.

Comments? Flaming? Raging?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Don't worry about the version number. It's basically the date of the current patch installed on your PC.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Your friend is partially correct. STO wasnt suppose to be released until 2011 then when they saw the Star Wars version was being released in 2010. So STO moved it up to 2010 and then as soon as this hot puppy was released Star Wars put a 2011 release date on their product. Least to say it was a little dueling with someone from Star Wars playing STO and saw the product and decided it was nothing to worry about. Hence we will see a beta version of Star Wars with just as many problems in 2011 LOL
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronykle View Post
Your friend is partially correct. STO wasnt suppose to be released until 2011 then when they saw the Star Wars version was being released in 2010. So STO moved it up to 2010 and then as soon as this hot puppy was released Star Wars put a 2011 release date on their product. Least to say it was a little dueling with someone from Star Wars playing STO and saw the product and decided it was nothing to worry about. Hence we will see a beta version of Star Wars with just as many problems in 2011 LOL
No you wont mark my words. The people makeing tor are star wars nuts i know this for a fact went to school at UTA with 1 he was a kappa sigma just like me trust me when i tell you no one has made an mmo like what there codeing. Its n0ot even something one would compare to this . O and BTW CB will happen in the next 90 days they are planning a full year of beta tests.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2010, 04:34 AM
I've been following development closely for the last 3 years (even when PE still had the license) and as far as I know the start of 2010 has always been the chosen launch date. Most of us just expected it to be late march/ near the end of the start of 2010.

I have however never seen any claims that a later date was the target goal for Cryptic, they've been very open and very clear about "the start of 2010". Many expected a push back to a later date but it never came and Cryptic kept its word.

Basicly your friend is wrong about it being launched a year earlier because of SWTOR, although it may have played part in it. As far as I know it was a take it or leave it deal, Atari told Cryptic to publish at a certain date and get the game ready before then or they wouldn't keep the license.

Off course I don't know how much truth there is in that either since it was never officially confirmed.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2010, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkybudz
No you wont mark my words. The people makeing tor are star wars nuts i know this for a fact went to school at UTA with 1 he was a kappa sigma just like me trust me when i tell you no one has made an mmo like what there codeing. Its n0ot even something one would compare to this . O and BTW CB will happen in the next 90 days they are planning a full year of beta tests.
UTA has low standards for spelling.