Lt. Commander
# 21
02-10-2010, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
It isn't about being complete. It is about this game being no where near what Cryptic promised. I don't buy games on the promise that in three years they will be really good and have all the features promised at launch.

The main thing is the poor quality of exploration and the sparsity of the quality episodes they promised. But hey I played OB and saw what this game was and so paid my $50 not expecting to play beyond the first month.
So what you are saying is that you wanted a game that was "complete" with eveything promised in interviews that never said these things would be in game at launch.

Thats an issue of you needing your hearing and eyes check not cryptic trying to sell you a life time sub on a promise
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-10-2010, 02:19 AM
Cryptic has no guarantee for your level of enjoyment out of the game. There was the beta period where you could buy the game and try it, cancel your pre-order if you didn't, there were plenty of beta reviews up, videos.... there was also the option of giong monthly until you decided a lifetime sub would be worth it. You might have paid more for the sub after launch, but what is more sensible, paying hundreds of dollars for something you are not sure about or not paying anything for the sub for the first 30 days to find out if it would be worth it?

Buyer's remorse, all it is. You changed your mind on something you bought that had NO REFUNDS written all over it now want a refund.

The game is here, it plays, you can log in and do anything within the game. They have delivered what you bought.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-10-2010, 02:28 AM
People who paid by creditcard should just call their creditcard company and ask for a refund. Just tell em the service isn't as agreed upon and/or if you still havent received an ingame item it gets even easier, then you can just tell em you didn't receive the product you paid for.

They prob wont even check and if they do the boards are full with complaints. They will give you your money back and then take it up with Cryptic to get their money back

Maybe/probably also works if you paid by bank transfer
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-10-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyrehntrd View Post
So what you are saying is that you wanted a game that was "complete" with eveything promised in interviews that never said these things would be in game at launch.
Nope. I just said I wouldn't pay for a game on the basis of what it might be in three years. I pay for what's in the box. And I am getting my $50 worth (I enjoy the game, I just don't see me enjoying it long term).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyrehntrd View Post
Thats an issue of you needing your hearing and eyes check not cryptic trying to sell you a life time sub on a promise
Yes it was Cryptic trying to sell a life time sub on a promise. There isn't months (for me) worth of content in right now let alone 18 months (the rough cost of a life time). So anyone who bought a lifetime is depending on Cryptics promise to add enough content to make that worth while.

Which is why I didn't buy a lifetime and in fact consider it a pretty foolish investment. Out of all the MMO's I have played I have subscribed to only two for around or over 18 months (WoW and EvE).
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
So anyone who bought a lifetime is depending on Cryptics promise to add enough content to make that worth while.
^^ This is the fun part, people who bought a life time subscription ... you will get the promised 45 day content patch. (Which is only for the few lvls after the lvl cap that there is now and some instances I think, both things that more or less should already been in the game one would say.)

And then... Cryptic will prob start using the same trick as for CO... MT / paid content patches. Which you still need to pay for + play for at least ~2 years before you got your moneys worth out of it.

Cryptic is already working on their third MMO (read: Mod for the COx engine) btw, epic. Never knew Cryptic was the new big boy in town that had all those resources for new content and new MMO's. I wouldn't be surprised if Atari is just making Cryptic crank out as much "crap" as possible, beating every penny out of it and nickle and dimming their customers while their reputation lasts.

Cryptic prob gets a "Coup de grāce" from Atari if their reputation hits rock bottom and they can't use em anymore to mod-up the next MMO IP on the COx engine they got their hands on.

If ya see a life-time subscription option for an MMO, alarm bells should be going off in ones head.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-10-2010, 02:43 AM
I got lifetime sub as well, but i am not looking for a refund at all, first of all i am still enjoying the game, but also:

I have been delivered what i ordered. I bought a lifetime subscription to STO, guess what i got??? A lifetime subscription to STO.

So no amount of complaining to credit card companies or banks will help, as you were delivered the goods you ordered. That the game did not meet your expectations have nothing to do with that transaction, that has to do with the game purchase. They have delivered on the promise you bought, they provided a lifetime subscription.

I can understand it is annoying as it is a fair amount of money, but let me put it this way.

You purchase a subscription to a pc magazine, one you had read 1 edition of, and after 2 more editions you decide that it is not that interesting anymore. Can you then try to get a chargeback for the amount you paid?
NOPE, does not work like that.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn3d
^^ This is the fun part, people who bought a life time subscription ... you will get the promised 45 day content patch. (Which is only for the few lvls after the lvl cap that there is now and some instances I think, both things that more or less should already been in the game one would say.)

And then... Cryptic will prob start using the same trick as for CO... MT / paid content patches. Which you still need to pay for + play for at least ~2 years before you got your moneys worth out of it.

Cryptic is already working on their third MMO (read: Mod for the COx engine) btw, epic. Never knew Cryptic was the new big boy in town that had all those resources for new content and new MMO's. I wouldn't be surprised if Atari is just making Cryptic crank out as much "crap" as possible, beating every penny out of it and nickle and dimming their customers while their reputation lasts.

Cryptic prob gets a "Coup de grāce" from Atari if their reputation hits rock bottom and they can't use em anymore to mod-up the next MMO IP on the COx engine they got their hands on.
The amount of "prob" words in that post makes you not very believable my friend. Stick to facts instead of speculating, you never know what will happen, so we need to wait and see.

And which is the third MMO cryptic is working on? I have not heard anything about this at all, so i just wanted to know if you have that from Cryptic, or is that another Prob one ?
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadios View Post
I am still waiting to hear back from Atari and Cryptic, neither have updated my refund request yet either, and its going on 48+ hours now.

Good luck to all of you trying to get your money back, I have already contacted my bank and they suggested I file it as a fraud case, as apparently I am not the only one who has contacted the bank about this game after getting no timely response from the company.

Any other suggestions or has anyone had any success on getting your money back?

Side note to OP:

I too have had no update to my support ticket for refund... its just sits there with no action
i'd rather say your chances are higher to get some money on ebay than from atari =)
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn3d
People who paid by creditcard should just call their creditcard company and ask for a refund. Just tell em the service isn't as agreed upon and/or if you still havent received an ingame item it gets even easier, then you can just tell em you didn't receive the product you paid for.

They prob wont even check and if they do the boards are full with complaints. They will give you your money back and then take it up with Cryptic to get their money back

Maybe/probably also works if you paid by bank transfer
You should learn a little about credit card disputes before telling people to try them. Anything over about $20 goes through the FULL dispute process. This means the credit card company sends you a letter you have to fill out in full. You have to explain how you bought something and what stipulations you agreed to (including no refunds). You also have to describe in detail how you feel that you should not be paying for what you received. You also have to include how you tried to resolve it with the company. You then send that letter back and the CC company issues a complaint to the company, which they answer.

A credit card is not a "buy anything I want and get my money back if I want to", it simply has built in protections against fraud and not getting a product as advertised.

In this case Cryptic sold unlimited access to an online game, with fine print that it is only good for as long as the game is active. That is what lifetime subscribers got. Pre-order items have nothing to do with lifetime subs, only the borg race which is now available. You got what you paid for, trying to use the dispute process is credit card fraud in this case.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhend1 View Post
Below is the verbatim from my customer service ticket. Has anyone been able to successfully get a refund? If so, how long did it take?

Refund - #********

Star Trek Online 02/06/2010

Hello,

I would like to receive a refund on my lifetime subscription to this game. It has been reported that this is possible within the 30 day trial period.

Thank you,

RH*************

Customer Service Response:

There have been no responses to this ticket yet.
If you really want to get out of this...just sell your account eBay...at least you can recuperate some of your money...just a thought.