Lt. Commander
# 1 Space.... not enough?
02-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Ok.. now I guess Cryptic had their design to make "warp space" their grid.. which unfortunately in this players opinion makes the game a visual "two dimentional" product. When you look, you see the star field both above and below this "grid plane" but of course you bottom out just above it and cannot "Z axis" up to LY beyond.. each "sector" is a box or rectangle..

I know, I am comparing this "space" to games like EvE Online or E&B.. It's just that space is supposed to be a "vast and final frontier", not "go so far, hit wall.. slide.. along wall.. question pops up in window.. , etc."

If "space" is this 3 dimensional "area" or volume, then how come my ship cannot do a "loop de loop" ?? I point up and reach a max tilt of 75 - 80% ?? The previous title's I mentioned could do the loops.. slides.. pitch and roll.. And no.. I would not go back to them.. but one would think that Cryptic would have learned or at least considered the concept.. wide open.. to see "space", no "board lines" no systems on poles. Even in our own view beyond this planet.. space is anywhere and everywhere at which ever direction we choose.. I understand.. more computing power.. but.. well.. I'm not writting a novel but hopefully you get the idea..

Another friend suggested a "cut screen movie" when "warping" where a person is shown on their bridge, looking out the main viewscreen where space passes.. or other scenes.. The possible "shorts" could make life a little less boring..

Then quests... don't get me started.. but one word.. more...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslocc View Post
Ok.. now I guess Cryptic had their design to make "warp space" their grid.. which unfortunately in this players opinion makes the game a visual "two dimentional" product. When you look, you see the star field both above and below this "grid plane" but of course you bottom out just above it and cannot "Z axis" up to LY beyond.. each "sector" is a box or rectangle..

I know, I am comparing this "space" to games like EvE Online or E&B.. It's just that space is supposed to be a "vast and final frontier", not "go so far, hit wall.. slide.. along wall.. question pops up in window.. , etc."

If "space" is this 3 dimensional "area" or volume, then how come my ship cannot do a "loop de loop" ?? I point up and reach a max tilt of 75 - 80% ?? The previous title's I mentioned could do the loops.. slides.. pitch and roll.. And no.. I would not go back to them.. but one would think that Cryptic would have learned or at least considered the concept.. wide open.. to see "space", no "board lines" no systems on poles. Even in our own view beyond this planet.. space is anywhere and everywhere at which ever direction we choose.. I understand.. more computing power.. but.. well.. I'm not writting a novel but hopefully you get the idea..

Another friend suggested a "cut screen movie" when "warping" where a person is shown on their bridge, looking out the main viewscreen where space passes.. or other scenes.. The possible "shorts" could make life a little less boring..

Then quests... don't get me started.. but one word.. more...
this should be posted in the thread "Sticky: List your top three short, mid, and long-term requests for the game" by the developers