Lt. Commander
This is just what I have noticed from all the mmo's I have played,

I will not be naming Any MMO companies but you will be able to think of a company and put them into these categories.

1. Indie game company, these companies spend all there time, little money and resources to try and become huge. most of them end up just selling to a larger company because they can't take care of the large game, and that brings me to my second one.

2. the Wal-Mart of MMO's, these companies pump out mass mmo's, either by making them or buying them from the number 1 list, how they make their money is not based on max players per game, but multiple players on multiple games, all that income will still flow to one pocket, even though most of the mmo's only have a few players in each one, its quantity vers quality here. and that brings me to the last one.

3. Now you have the Big boy companies here that only made 1 mmo, but all their money, time and resources will be put into this one mmo to make it the best they can, and that is how they make their income.

I am sure you can already think of a few mmo's in the past you have played and thought, oh yeah I know what category that one falls under. again i will not name any MMO companies here, that is for you to choose.

so with all this said, and done. I hope no matter what cryptic does, I hope they do devote their time, effort, and power into this mmo, no matter what category they fit under. Although I have already stopped playing, but maybe, just maybe if it becomes what we all dreamed, I will be back in for the long haul.

Have fun to you all and god speed.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 01:20 AM
I am not sure there are any big boy companies that have made only 1 MMO unless of course you are saying Blizzard is a Big Boy company, which is false.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 01:26 AM
CCP is an indi company with only one big MMO. Methinks your list needs a bit more work:p
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltec
CCP is an indi company with only one big MMO. Methinks your list needs a bit more work:p
Indie companies that work out to have highly profitable MMO's evolve into Big Boy companies, me thinks
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 02:46 AM
I dunno, I think there are many more divisions. So many that it would be hard to actually make catagories. For instance, which of your catagories would Guild Software fall under? They're the makers of 'Vendetta Online', a pretty cool little MMO developed by a couple of guys who decided to make the game they wanted to play but no one else would. AND, they have kept their game 'pure' to their vision. Back when they started they said as long as they had enough subs to keep the game going they'd be happy, and they wouldn't change anything just to bring in more people. They've been true to their word, it's a niche game perhaps but none the less. They don't really fit in your list.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Not quite sure how to understand your post. I see no logic in it; or point.

Who cares if its a big/small/indie/walmart company? The game matters; not the company.

Lord of the Rings online; is Turbine inc; which also made Asheron's Call and Dungeons and Dragons online.

Age of Conan is Funcom; which also made Anarchy Online (and other games that were not mmo's)

Mythic for Dark Ages of Camelot and Warhammer. Then you have tons of corean companies that have very limited success outside asia.

Then you have Sony that buys games to add to their portfolio of games they can offer with their Station Pass: Matrix Online (warner bros initially); Star Wars Galaxies; Vanguard (initially Ex-Verant members, but "saved" by Sony); Everquest (initially Verant); Everquest 2; Pirates of the Burning Sea (Flying Lab Studios; an indie company)

So what do you call a company? The guys who produce/release the game? or the guys who develop it?

In STO's case; do you mean: Cryptic; Atari; Infogrammes?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
I am not sure there are any big boy companies that have made only 1 MMO unless of course you are saying Blizzard is a Big Boy company, which is false.
Yes like Blizzard, and soon to be Bioware, these are Developers who have made other games but first MMO.

Quote:
CCP is an indi company with only one big MMO. Methinks your list needs a bit more work
Yes it does need to be cleared up a bit I agree.

Quote:
Indie companies that work out to have highly profitable MMO's evolve into Big Boy companies, me thinks
Yes like CCP they are in indie company that is now a big boy company.

Quote:
I dunno, I think there are many more divisions. So many that it would be hard to actually make catagories. For instance, which of your catagories would Guild Software fall under? They're the makers of 'Vendetta Online', a pretty cool little MMO developed by a couple of guys who decided to make the game they wanted to play but no one else would. AND, they have kept their game 'pure' to their vision. Back when they started they said as long as they had enough subs to keep the game going they'd be happy, and they wouldn't change anything just to bring in more people. They've been true to their word, it's a niche game perhaps but none the less. They don't really fit in your list.
yeah you can go though each one and make the category bigger, but I tried to make it standard to help clarify the major differences in them.

Quote:
Not quite sure how to understand your post. I see no logic in it; or point.

Who cares if its a big/small/indie/walmart company? The game matters; not the company.

Lord of the Rings online; is Turbine inc; which also made Asheron's Call and Dungeons and Dragons online.

Age of Conan is Funcom; which also made Anarchy Online (and other games that were not mmo's)

Mythic for Dark Ages of Camelot and Warhammer. Then you have tons of corean companies that have very limited success outside asia.

Then you have Sony that buys games to add to their portfolio of games they can offer with their Station Pass: Matrix Online (warner bros initially); Star Wars Galaxies; Vanguard (initially Ex-Verant members, but "saved" by Sony); Everquest (initially Verant); Everquest 2; Pirates of the Burning Sea (Flying Lab Studios; an indie company)

So what do you call a company? The guys who produce/release the game? or the guys who develop it?

In STO's case; do you mean: Cryptic; Atari; Infogrammes?
The company is what Develops the game, the type of company is the Quality of game you will get from them, that is my point.

and what i call a MMo company, are company's who Make the MMO, let me put it this way.

if your a writer of a book, you put your name on the book as the creator, the writer, but you have to have an Agent (the one who fronts you money) so that agent hires a Producer to get your book published, (some times writers willl skip the agent and find their own publisher)

The gaming world works the same way. but I think in the case of cryptic, cryptic Bought STO from a Indie company, they finished making the game to their likings, and then they have Atari to Publish the game.

did I help clear things up a bit?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2010, 09:50 AM
OP shows his ignorance as he tries to define the industry in terms only he understands.

for instance why is CCP more of a bigboy company with a game that has 330k subs after 7 years anymore than a company that has maybe 2 or 3 games dev'ed with just as many(or a similar number) subs attached to their games?

why is bioware a bigboy company when it hasn't released an mmo at all yet, so it has yet to be determined how many subs or even box sales SWTOR will acquire?

why is CCP an independent company? surely they have investors and maybe a publisher giving financial backing etc?

why is a company a walmart company just because they've made more than one mmo?

SOE is a distro, not a dev company, though they do continue dev of games they've acquired.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
OP shows his ignorance as he tries to define the industry in terms only he understands.
if you like I can put it in kid terms for you to understand, do not come in my thread to try and be hostile and troll. I was just stating the types of mmo company's, Nothing wrong with this at all.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordiaky View Post
if you like I can put it in kid terms for you to understand, do not come in my thread to try and be hostile and troll. I was just stating the types of mmo company's, Nothing wrong with this at all.
not being hostile or trolling. you're the one pigeonholing companies in to your own personal terminology that doesn't even make sense.