Lt. Commander
# 21
02-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Shh don't tell them about Subnucleonic! Nearly 20 seconds of cooldown on all abilities is not overpowered at all! (full Aux tho)
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-10-2010, 06:52 AM
VM is fine how it is. I dont think they should even be implementing sci team to counter it whilst being held, it will render VM obsolete. The only thing I would say is raise the cool down on it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-10-2010, 07:22 AM
This whining is getting out of hand, just had to put up with this, so now it's broken and I'm supposed not not use it? give me a ****ing break. The only thing wrong with VM is the duration, the guy in the pic died within 3seconds of it hitting, yet he still whined about OP VM.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I havent read the whole thread here, so fogive me if some of this has been said before.

First of all, the 'mez' type abilities in other games may have been annoying, but they were balanced. If the target took any kind of damage, the effect was broken imediately. This is not the case here.

STO is filled with 'Crowd Control' type abilities of one type or another. Some stop movement, some stop your weapons, some blind you, etc. It is a major aspect of the game. Removing them all would eliminate about 1/3 of bridge officer powers.

Viral Matrix on the other hand is not like the rest. It is the end-all-be-all of crowd control. It is an unbreakable hold. While under the effect of VM, you cannot move, shoot, adjust your shields, or activate abilities. It completely locks you down, while the enemies are free to shoot you all they want for 10-20 seconds. This is obscenely overpowered.

Yes, I know what the devs said concerning science team and VM. But VM still needs a big nerf. It is such a powerful ability, that it will only force everyone to take Science Team as a requirement for PvP. VM really needs to break from damage like other strong crowd control abilities.

It also doesn't help that due to having science ships, Fed players are much more inclined to take the viral matrix ability. The higher in level I get, the more and more Feds I see abusing this broken ability. At T5, some Klingons have finally started to make use of it, but not nearly as much as the Feds. Personally, I am absolutely sick of it. At the lower levels when I got hit by it, it seemed rather overpowered. At the higher levels, I am now getting spammed with VM, because way too many feds are using it.

It is the biggest "I win" button I have ever seen in an MMO, and it needs to go.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobe
I havent read the whole thread here, so fogive me if some of this has been said before.

First of all, the 'mez' type abilities in other games may have been annoying, but they were balanced. If the target took any kind of damage, the effect was broken imediately. This is not the case here.

STO is filled with 'Crowd Control' type abilities of one type or another. Some stop movement, some stop your weapons, some blind you, etc. It is a major aspect of the game. Removing them all would eliminate about 1/3 of bridge officer powers.

Viral Matrix on the other hand is not like the rest. It is the end-all-be-all of crowd control. It is an unbreakable hold. While under the effect of VM, you cannot move, shoot, adjust your shields, or activate abilities. It completely locks you down, while the enemies are free to shoot you all they want for 10-20 seconds. This is obscenely overpowered.

Yes, I know what the devs said concerning science team and VM. But VM still needs a big nerf. It is such a powerful ability, that it will only force everyone to take Science Team as a requirement for PvP. VM really needs to break from damage like other strong crowd control abilities.

It also doesn't help that due to having science ships, Fed players are much more inclined to take the viral matrix ability. The higher in level I get, the more and more Feds I see abusing this broken ability. At T5, some Klingons have finally started to make use of it, but not nearly as much as the Feds. Personally, I am absolutely sick of it. At the lower levels when I got hit by it, it seemed rather overpowered. At the higher levels, I am now getting spammed with VM, because way too many feds are using it.

It is the biggest "I win" button I have ever seen in an MMO, and it needs to go.
pot-kettle-black

klink BoP use this skill on me all the freaking time. thank god for attack pattern omega, otherwise i would have killed a developer
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-10-2010, 09:02 AM
The threadstarter played WoW ... thats the thing ... most WoW PvP players cry the whole day long in all forums they could find ... the play a game just of the fact to cry day and night how unfair the world is to them ... unbearable annoying ... and to the Tstarter: You have Viral Matrix, too? So click the button faster than your oponent (sorry no native english speaker )
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
As much as I dislike Vobe's whine about VM I do like his point that there should be other types of mez/holds. It be great to see a long duration mez that breaks on damage. for the rest they are already in the game

tractor = root
jam = blind
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Everyone wants to be a lone gunman and a hero. That's why a disabling power with a counter -any teammate- can apply is overpowered, because people are playing so poorly they won't bother to remove VM from a teammate.

All VM needs is :

An immunity that lasts twice as long as the VM that comes after.

Other teammates being able to remove it, which grants a longer immunity.

And then people can learn to play as a team.

SCI team should not be self-cast, that is just bowing to poor playstyles.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Since people are arguing that VM is not overpowered if a team-mate can remove it.

It's a 2v2 battle.

1) You open from stealth by stunning both members of the opposition team for 15-30 seconds.
2) Errr...

Extending to 5v5 doesn't particularly help. TAC officers can be hit with the 'beam of delay' - and unless I'm missing something, the game will logically end with every playing having both VM and science team.

IMHO:
- stuns should be short-term spammable-CC. It doesn't need a cure.
- mez should be medium-term, tactical/strategic CC. Cures for mez are a good idea.
- root/snare should be long-term, minor, tactical/strategic CC. Cures are optional.

When you consider that CC is (afaik) basically unresistable in STO (apart from pre-curing yourself), it becomes hard to see any option BUT giving VM a trivial counter.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter
Since people are arguing that VM is not overpowered if a team-mate can remove it.

It's a 2v2 battle.

1) You open from stealth by stunning both members of the opposition team for 15-30 seconds.
2) Errr...

Extending to 5v5 doesn't particularly help. TAC officers can be hit with the 'beam of delay' - and unless I'm missing something, the game will logically end with every playing having both VM and science team.

IMHO:
- stuns should be short-term spammable-CC. It doesn't need a cure.
- mez should be medium-term, tactical/strategic CC. Cures for mez are a good idea.
- root/snare should be long-term, minor, tactical/strategic CC. Cures are optional.

When you consider that CC is (afaik) basically unresistable in STO (apart from pre-curing yourself), it becomes hard to see any option BUT giving VM a trivial counter.

Nope, I do not agree with the point at all that I've just bolded, stuns should never be spammable as they become open to abuse and before long everyone is doing it.

VM I feel should be like any other form of Mez type CC really, "Breaks on damage" that way it would be treated like a CC to get a particulary strong threat out of the way while you deal on a lesser threat.

root/snares already pretty much have a cure in space, being engineering team, or polarise hull i find them to be the most balanced of space CC as they are easily countered, but can have a vital impact when timed properly.