Lt. Commander
My idea, basically, is to have positions to fill with officers that are not directly related to combat. For example:
-Chief Engineer
-Chief Medical Officer
-Helmsman
-First Officer
-Communications Officer

Some of these I have ideas for, others its a little fuzzy.

-Chief Engineer: a engineering bridge officer assigned as the chief engineer who stays in engineering. Depending on his/her skill at the job (or certain abilities) you get passive increases to repair rates, shield recharge and/or power ratings.

-Chief Medical Officer: a science bridge officer assigned as the head of sick bay. Depending on stats of the officer he/she would give you a passive increase to crew regeneration.

-Helmsman: A talented officer at the helm would provide passive turn rate bonuses or quicker acceleration, dodge %, etc.

-First Officer: not really sure. Could just be a title for your own enjoyment. Could provide passive increases to BO skills, similar to what Captain skills do. Generally would affect the ship and crew as a whole in a way, maybe.

-Communications Officer: This is mostly cosmetic I think. My only idea here is to identify the officer on the ship who regularly communicates with you on away missions or reports incomming hails during missions.

Some of these could act, in a way, like consoles. But they would be selected in the assignments tab like you select your main bridge officers. I think it could increase the immersion factor of being in charge of a starship full of many officers and personel. It would also, I think, give more of an incentive to collect/find/trade for rare and unique officers. For example, the enterprises have always had exceptional officers, as well as exceptional captians.

Please feel free to help flesh out this idea, I think it could have a lot of merit.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Those are your bridge crew.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Would also like to see crew who are not directly related to combat please.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
Would also like to see crew who are not directly related to combat please.
As I said already those positions are you current bridge crew. Kirk didn't always beam down with Spock, McCoy, and Scotty but he often did. If you want to RP it more just don't assign your highest ranking engineering Boff to your away team.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
As I said already those positions are you current bridge crew. Kirk didn't always beam down with Spock, McCoy, and Scotty but he often did. If you want to RP it more just don't assign your highest ranking engineering Boff to your away team.
As I said already, I would welcome purely non combat related Officers - which BO isn't in some way related to killing things, helping to kill them or stopping you being killed by them?

Trek is so much more than murder death kill - although I understand that a game has to be fun!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
As I said already, I would welcome purely non combat related Officers - which BO isn't in some way related to killing things, helping to kill them or stopping you being killed by them?!
Which senior officer in any series didn't in some way have those skills?

The fault is with the missions not the selection of officers. IMO it is un-Trek to have a chief engineer or senior medical officer that doesn't go on away teams.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Which senior officer in any series didn't in some way have those skills?

The fault is with the missions not the selection of officers. IMO it is un-Trek to have a chief engineer or senior medical officer that doesn't go on away teams.
[edit]

Who said anything about away missions? I'm talking about the fucntions of the ship that are not related to killing - and yes to make this worth while deep space missions would need to accomodate and require those skills.

[edit]

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2010, 02:22 AM
Enjoy your warning for flaming.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Enjoy your warning for flaming.
No idea what you are talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2010, 03:11 AM
If you wouldn't mind corvus, I'd like to actually discuss the merits of my idea. Not how you could insinuate that its already part of the game if you only take the 'right' view point.

I am indeed talking about posts on the ship, where skills would passively affect the ship. This has nothing to do with beaming to a planet.

Yes, I like to think the my science officer is my chief med officer, like Bones or Crusher, but in game terms she is not. I'd like to have a way to assign such a post, where a different set of skills would come into play that might increase my crew recovery rate. Possibly in the future, give bonuses or open up new options in missions when things develop beyond kill everything and/or scan something.

As i mentioned with a helmsman, it would be nice to find a unique officer who if assigned such a role, would passively grant me a turn bonus, or dodge bonus. Not a new power to activate, just a passive bonus to represent I have found, attracted or otherwise managed to acquire one of the best helmsmen in starfleet.

I think something like this might add depth to your crew, ship and general enjoyment of the game.