Lt. Commander
Im not sure about you guys but at the moment this game just feels like a shootemup level based game,the constant loading screens add to that. There really is very little to it or anywhere it can go without ingame mechanics being changed. The actual playability of the game is great, its just how long will doing the same thing be interesting.

There is new content coming but its really not that much different from whats already in the game and probably wont take that long to get through.

If you compare it to other mmos they had alot more in them to "waste time" along with all the running around doing stuff. Nearly all MMos have a mission/story based theme to levelling and very different areas to explore even early ones like ultima online 2d version had more to offer at release than STO.

So far we have

fly through asteroids blow up ships
fly through asteroids scan things
Land on surface scan things
Land on surface kill things
Beam to ship scan/defuse/beam up stuff
beam to ship tkill things
And a few really fun missions such as the going back in time thing and the memory alpha crafting which is pretty pointless. The rest is the same sort of missions with very little story line, cut scenes or even different endings. I mean you beam down to the planet scan some space bug eggs, tell the locals to get a grip, and then get told hey these things are amazing when they hatch. So why not show them hatch! instead you get pointy lugs telling you in a quick text box.

Most MMos have some form of crafting which takes up time, it allows players to modify their gear, sell things for money. There was really no reason for them to not include something.

People could be allowed to build upgrades for their ships/weapons, redesign ship interiors with objects from their race, have captains quarters in ships,armoury and holds with storage for gear. I mean your flying around the Universe in a bloody big ship and you can only carry a few items? that makes no sense.You could have ready rooms where you could invite fleet members over, bases for fleets to call home. You could even design your own ships and make new clothes. Side games in Holodecks really come on theres huge amounts that could have been put in place.

On the crafting/gathering side there is food items in teh game so you could have a ship cook to train, collect raw ingediants,have a hydroponics lab and have to collect plant species for buffs or recipes.

Theres mining for one that could be made more fun by placing the asteroid belts with the highest amount of stuff in pvp zones and have lightly armed mining ships which would need to be protected by other fleet members. Ground mining where teams are needed to fend of the enemy. For solo players these could be in normal zones but not as rewarding and not as difficult to mine

There could be R&R planets with non combat missions where folk could meet and chill out.

On planet side missions there could be vehicle combat both shuttle craft and land crawlers.

These guys had a huge amount of options for content but instead opted for very quick missions with repeating themes. You have millions of worlds to explore but instead your given tiny little maps with no reason to visit except to do a quick mission and leave.

The game states Star Trek Online: Explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations in an expanding vast universe.

Explore strange worlds? you can go for less than a minute before your at the end of the map and theres nothing really to see anyway.

seek out new life and new civilizations? what new life theres some humanoids running around and some tribbles where is everything else and you dont exactly have to go far to seek it out their never off their sodding communicators threatening to kill you or asking you to come down and kill something or begging for 10 replicators for a cup of tea. I mean new civilizations! wheres the interaction , the storyline behind them, the communication, exploring cities. all we got was a bunch of alien big issue vendors demanding help after which you walk away or the drunken nutter wanting to give you a kicking. Thats not new life thats Aberdeen on a saturday night and atleast theres beer there.

There is so much more that could have been done to make the game great and could still be done, the problem is once the novelty of it being star trek wears off will people stay long enough to allow the devs to add new content, other mmos who had problems with non mission related things like conan and WAR didnt exactly last too long and one of the biggest issues was lack of content and issues with the crafting systems.

Lack of content is a killer, so is not taking what does work from games that came before you at the moment this game doesnt really need to be online as its more like an xbox/wii gameing session with your mates round or an FPS with a multiplayer option.

I wont mention all the technical issues or lack of customer support as if you played wow in teh early years or any other online game you are probably used to them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetland
I
That's about four times as varied as ********/everquest/etc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Change fly to walk. and ships to monsters. and you have a description of most mmorpg games.
Only the end game will be important in the long run.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Yes the themes in most games are the same, but in games like ******** its free roaming, there was much more variation it was not identical missions with identical mobs there was a huge area to explore rare mobs to hunt.. There was much more freedom to do things, storylines to follow where something might happen at the end of the quest, much more interaction with other players in instances early on.

There was also more off the wall stuff, critters to kill funny NPCs, events happening just more in general and thats not even including secondary skills for timewasting like crafting, gathering or fishing.

Other games allowed you to build houses customise interiors make your space more peronal and create options for more interaction with other people.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
That's about four times as varied as ********/everquest/etc.
I'll have to agree.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 07:31 AM
********...varied? You went from getting 20 teeny eeny boar snouts at 5-10, to getting mammoth tusks at 80, where is the variation? ******** quests, are get me this, go kill that, then steal this, rinse, repeat, raid. Bam ******** has just been 100% described.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 07:46 AM
"********...varied? You went from getting 20 teeny eeny boar snouts at 5-10, to getting mammoth tusks at 80, where is the variation? ******** quests, are get me this, go kill that, then steal this, rinse, repeat, raid. Bam ******** has just been 100% described. "

The variation is your not killing teh same boars all the time, there are side quests with different story lines often which have events at the end of them. You could take a break from doing teh quests and craft, explore whatever you want. The places where the quests took place were in different areas with much greater thought put into the background of the areas than STO has.

I did not want to turn this into an STO versus ******** but used it as an example of a game which has more to it, ultima online is very much like an old ******** even before its 3d version came out. Its a design which works and its a design that keeps people playing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Quote:
"********...varied? You went from getting 20 teeny eeny boar snouts at 5-10, to getting mammoth tusks at 80, where is the variation? ******** quests, are get me this, go kill that, then steal this, rinse, repeat, raid. Bam ******** has just been 100% described. "

The variation is your not killing teh same boars all the time, there are side quests with different story lines often which have events at the end of them. You could take a break from doing teh quests and craft, explore whatever you want. The places where the quests took place were in different areas with much greater thought put into the background of the areas than STO has.
You can explore in STO in the same sense that you can explore in ********(i.e. you can wander into places that have lethaly high level mobs, or can wander to places that have no mobs).

You can craft as about the same complexity in STO also. It's just "fetch x foos and turn them into 1 bar", same as ********.

I'm really not sure what it is that you're attributing to ******** that makes it magically sandboxy, but you're wrong. That I am sure of.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
These guys had a huge amount of options for content but instead opted for very quick missions with repeating themes. You have millions of worlds to explore but instead your given tiny little maps with no reason to visit except to do a quick mission and leave.
We will see when the new content is released if Cryptic has been working on designing missions that are more dynamic, engaging and fun.

Personally I believe it can only get better.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I didnt actually bring up ******** in my original post except with regards to the technical problems. I am more than well aware of how repetetive wow got especially during burning crusade, but I had great fun getting to 60 and being part of a good raiding guild before that.

As some have posted most mmos follow the same formula but its how that formula is used.

Lets face it upto commander you come across 3 races with maybe 4 maybe 5 different ships, maybe 4 various mobs on teh ground. That is not exactly a huge level of variation of mobs. There is minimal interaction with anything other than the quest subject, its not like you can beam down to a planet and explore different areas you get one small area with the subject of the quest, no animals and no random encounters.

Every patrol the sector mission is pretty much the same both in terms of looks of the environment and what it actually entails. There is very little story line,background or sense of achievement at completing them. After a while it gets too the oh great another scan 4 items quest you know whats coming nearly all the time.

Yes wow follows a similiar formula but the quest hubbs were much better thought out , they linked areas and npcs together. It wasnt the same 4 guys telling you to do something or telling you to do exactly the same. Other mobs could provide some randomness to the quests.

You say you can explore as much as in wow, well you certainly cant on the ground the maps are tiny, theres nothing really to see, In space yes you can roam all over the map go into high level areas but if you go into a system they all look the same , theres a good chance that in teh same sector all the mobs are the same you know when you arrive you have 5 mobs to kill and thats all there will be, no respawning no randomness its a set encounter with no variation at all. You dont ahve to worry about some lunatic training have a dozen mobs across your path, a wandering mob making your life difficult. Its very predictable in most encounters the kilngon timeline one was brilliant though, the crystal entitiy one you spent most the time whispering to people in chat what they had to do as no one appears to read zone chat.

Again you say the crafting is the same, yep its the same idea collect stuff to turn it into other stuff, the difference in other mmos its a challenge or a task and somethign you can set out to do as a specific task, other mmos have let you choose what skills you want as well adn made it a much bigger part of the game with the collecting of recipes ect. In sto you pick the stuff up on mission take it to someone else and they offer a few choices there is not exactly the same amount of variation in what you can make or the level of personal involvement as in other mmos.

Again I did not want to turn this into another WOW vs STO thread as someone has already pointed out all mmos have the same format. I just feel that levelling up in STO was very much like doing the same task in the same place and theres not really much else to do if you dont want to do the missions.