Lt. Commander
I must be missing something; Iíve spent over 1100 points on each of my Bridge Officers, what would be the advantage of swapping them out for a new Officer with no skill points?

My new Bridge Officer Candidates also have a Starfleet Merit value, how do I collect that if I donít want to keep them?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 06:57 AM
The advantage to switching might be the racial bonus on a new BO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMentalxLintx
The advantage to switching might be the racial bonus on a new BO.
That's true, but what about the 1100 skill points, will they be transferred to the new BO, or will I lose them?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMan2k View Post
I must be missing something; Iíve spent over 1100 points on each of my Bridge Officers, what would be the advantage of swapping them out for a new Officer with no skill points?

My new Bridge Officer Candidates also have a Starfleet Merit value, how do I collect that if I donít want to keep them?
For one, you never cap out on earning BOff skill points that I am aware of. I currently have over 20k BOff skill points banked as I've not anything to spend them on. I did have 30k banked but thanks to needing Eng Officers that DO NOT have Aceton Field (which you cannot train them out of atm) I had to get two new BOff's that did not have that skill (hard to do) and train them up thus ditching my old BOffs that were stuck with Aceton Field.

Plus when you get rid of one you only lose the points your trained them to, not earned points those stay with you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 07:12 AM
You would loose them. The advantage of rare(blue text) BO's and very rare (purple text) BO's is that they have level III skills that are not available via training, with merits. Like Viral Matrix III and so on. You would not have to loose your investment on your current BO's you simply have these higher quality BO's train your older BO's with their skills.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandius View Post
You would loose them. The advantage of rare(blue text) BO's and very rare (purple text) BO's is that they have level III skills that are not available via training, with merits. Like Viral Matrix III and so on. You would not have to loose your investment on your current BO's you simply have these higher quality BO's train your older BO's with their skills.
Good post, thank you. Do you buy the blue or purple BOs or are they reward "items"?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
The only real reason to grab a new officer is for traits, not skills. Especially space traits. So an officer with 'Efficient' as a trait is worth it.

Skills can be trained onto your existing officers, without losing their other progress.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
The only real reason to grab a new officer is for traits, not skills. Especially space traits. So an officer with 'Efficient' as a trait is worth it.

Skills can be trained onto your existing officers, without losing their other progress.

Not at all, at higher levels as yours stats increase the traits that a BO can offer are minuscule increases and not the overriding need at higher ranks.

Skills that can not be gained through merit training though are far more important. Some level three skills can be gained by putting 9 ranks into a skill set on your skill sheet. Not all of them though. Viral Matrix III for example can only be gained from a rare(blue text) Science BO. Same with Tychons Rift III.