Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Needs a Governing Body
02-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Okay, so I've read plenty of recruitment threads, and one fleet inspired an idea by reading their ad. They said they received a reward from the President blah blah blah.

What if we all pushed for STO Community Managers to also act as a governing body/council. Their job would be to draw up medals, awards, and commendations that can be awarded once a month to 1 Fleet and 1 Fleet only every month. There should be a variety of medals, awards, and commendations and should be hard to earn, but worth it. By earning a Fleet medal, award, or commendation, it'll give that fleet recognition above all other fleets.

How it would work:

1. Community Managers would keep an eye out for Fleets that are bringing the community together. Fleets that are more than just a forum rank climb or gaggle of players in game. Fleets that organize events, and are community leaders.

2. One week before the award ceremony, the Community Managers would request nominations for various rewards. Before nominations take place, the Community Managers would have obviously already have shown us the medals, awards, and commendations available to earn for their fleet.

3. Community Managers would take into consideration the nominations, and together with their own observations, they will award the Fleet with what they've earned.

4. I'm not sure how it'd work, but those forum members in that fleet would have those rewards displayed under their avatar/name, with their fleet name above it.

Now if STO management doesn't like this idea, we could always try this idea out, but it wouldn't be as reliable. Community Manager's are in a position that is more permanent than a subscriber is, should also be unbiased and impartial, and have somewhat an authority on the forums. Players on the other hand might be self or fleet serving, may not be long time subscribers, and are only notable people after they've earned respect from the community, which takes time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1980 View Post
Okay, so I've read plenty of recruitment threads, and one fleet inspired an idea by reading their ad. They said they received a reward from the President blah blah blah.

What if we all pushed for STO Community Managers to also act as a governing body/council. Their job would be to draw up medals, awards, and commendations that can be awarded once a month to 1 Fleet and 1 Fleet only every month. There should be a variety of medals, awards, and commendations and should be hard to earn, but worth it. By earning a Fleet medal, award, or commendation, it'll give that fleet recognition above all other fleets.

How it would work:

1. Community Managers would keep an eye out for Fleets that are bringing the community together. Fleets that are more than just a forum rank climb or gaggle of players in game. Fleets that organize events, and are community leaders.

2. One week before the award ceremony, the Community Managers would request nominations for various rewards. Before nominations take place, the Community Managers would have obviously already have shown us the medals, awards, and commendations available to earn for their fleet.

3. Community Managers would take into consideration the nominations, and together with their own observations, they will award the Fleet with what they've earned.

4. I'm not sure how it'd work, but those forum members in that fleet would have those rewards displayed under their avatar/name, with their fleet name above it.

Now if STO management doesn't like this idea, we could always try this idea out, but it wouldn't be as reliable. Community Manager's are in a position that is more permanent than a subscriber is, should also be unbiased and impartial, and have somewhat an authority on the forums. Players on the other hand might be self or fleet serving, may not be long time subscribers, and are only notable people after they've earned respect from the community, which takes time.
I like it! Could even have award ceremonies in Starfleet HQ (how I wish you could visit Starfleet HQ). But genuinely love the idea, think its ace!

Think the Fleet uniforms thing needs an overhaul btw...just sayin'