Lt. Commander
# 1 Skills: The Numbers (a guide)
02-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Hey all,

Just completed the latest article for The Engines Cannae Take It!

Skills: The Numbers expands on the basic overview of the STO skills system given in the Character Basics guide, detailing how the skill system works, the numbers behind it, and taking a look at what these mean when it comes to spending your hard-earned skill points.

Hope you find it helpful and/or interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 07:02 AM
It was a concise, well thought article.

I'd like to thank you for your hard work. I found it an excellent read and it will help me rethink my character advancement better from now on.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 08:00 AM
WOW i am finally getting to understand skills

Thank you so much for this..........

STICKY and give this man a lifer account please..../salute
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Whoow.
Nice-but... I dom't want to play my commander anymore-completly misskilled him
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks, guys - glad you found it helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 01:11 PM
very good read..

something i have a problem with is when you talk about leveling skills to 7 instead of 9 due to wasteing skill points on the un needed extra levels. the problem is this.. very simply, we MUST spend the points to rank up.. we have to spend so many skill points on usless skills for the path we choose just to get to the next rank.

secondly, and this is more an issue with the system, we can all use plasma weapons at LC level, but cannot upgrade them til captain, making ALOT of skills useless to train in if we dont plan to use those weapons at all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrgn
something i have a problem with is when you talk about leveling skills to 7 instead of 9 due to wasteing skill points on the un needed extra levels. the problem is this.. very simply, we MUST spend the points to rank up.. we have to spend so many skill points on usless skills for the path we choose just to get to the next rank.
I guess it depends on your build - if you don't feel you're short of skill points, buy all means take the skills you want to level 9.

Personally, I like having some flexibility, so skill points are fairly scarce - most of the math in the article came out of me messing around with a multi-ship build, and trying to work out how best to cover a lot of skills without losing a lot of performance.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Nice, only problem with this is, from what I understand of the game math when you have 9/9/9 it does not add the skills 18 + 30 + 52 = 100% bonus.

Instead it modifies the highest bonus sequentially by the percentage of the others, like this (52 + (.30 * 52) ) * 1.18 = ~ 80% bonus.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistAU
Nice, only problem with this is, from what I understand of the game math when you have 9/9/9 it does not add the skills 18 + 30 + 52 = 100% bonus.

Instead it modifies the highest bonus sequentially by the percentage of the others, like this (52 + (.30 * 52) ) * 1.18 = ~ 80% bonus.
That's not been my experience, and doesn't match with the testing I've done.

As an example, a character with these skill levels:

Starship Energy Weapons Training-7
Starship Beam Weapons-5
Starship Phaser Weapons-0

Has the following stats:

17 Starship Energy Weapons Training
24 Starship Beam Weapons
0 Starship Phaser Weapons

This adds up to a 17+24+0 = 41% damage bonus with phaser beam weapons. When this character equips a Phaser Array Standard Issue with a base damage of 100 at 50 weapons power, the damage reported by the phaser's tooltip (and confirmed by testing at <1km range from a stationary unshielded target) at 50 weapon power is 141, a 41% increase. No diminishing return.

If the character then equips a Phaser Relay Mk IV with a +15 Starship Phaser Weapons bonus, his stats become:

17 Starship Energy Weapons Training
24 Starship Beam Weapons
15 Starship Phaser Weapons

This adds up to 17+24+15 = 56% damage bonus with phaser beam weapons. The tooltip (again, confirmed by testing) then reports 156 damage, a 56% increase. No diminishing return.

All of the above has been tested in game.

There does seem to be something a little strange going on with weapon damage in some situations, but I think it's some form of 'soft cap' on DPS, quite possibly related to your character level. I'ts something that I'm planning to look into further.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2010, 03:45 AM
Just an update on the above - the results I'm getting from testing weapons and weapon skills seem to match those of STOked. I've made a clarification to the Skills: The Numbers article to reflect this, and will be going into more detail in an upcoming article on starship weapons.