Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard31581 View Post
I knew I was slow, but I didn't realize I was that slow. I've had a character since head start, but I've probably only logged maybe 10 hours of game time at most. I'm juuuust shy of getting LtCmdr. I get maybe half an hour a day (if I'm lucky and I don't get disconnected) which is enough time to run one or two missions. On the weekends I might be able to squeeze in two to three hours. Some days I don't get to play at all because I'm just too busy. For a casual player like myself, I feel there's more than enough content to keep me entertained for months to come. I honestly don't want to rush it and get to a point where I have nothing to do.
You're not *that* slow. I'm about the same as you playing time-wise, and I just hit Lt. Commander the last time I played for longer than 10 minutes. People who rush through the game in my own personal opinion are just looking for a reason to whine.

Not singling anyone out, but people who complain, you totally rush through any games nowadays. I mean, seriously, when a new game comes out the reviews always have to say how LONG it took to beat the hell out of the game. And how much replay value is in the game or it's not worth the money. Sometimes I feel like players are just trying to dig up dirt to throw on the company because *they* have no life and want to complain about lack of content because they are paying a subscription.

/end rant
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard31581 View Post
I knew I was slow, but I didn't realize I was that slow. I've had a character since head start, but I've probably only logged maybe 10 hours of game time at most. I'm juuuust shy of getting LtCmdr. I get maybe half an hour a day (if I'm lucky and I don't get disconnected) which is enough time to run one or two missions. On the weekends I might be able to squeeze in two to three hours. Some days I don't get to play at all because I'm just too busy. For a casual player like myself, I feel there's more than enough content to keep me entertained for months to come. I honestly don't want to rush it and get to a point where I have nothing to do.
You say you are slow but you seem to be right on target. If you've played 10 hour and are about to be promotoed to Lt. Cmdr you are leveling at the speed expected by the devs. There is no prize for getting to the level cap so play at your speed
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordellg2
I've been reading numerous threads over the past few days and I'm absolutely floored at how many Rear Admirals and Captain's there are. How are you leveling up so fast? Are you teaming up with other people, are you playing 20 plus hours a day? What's up guys?
Don't worry about levels, just play the game and have fun. Rushing to the end means you missed the fun of pvp at each level. You miss out on a lot of things...and you completely miss the point of the game. This isn't like other mmo's where all the real content is at the end (at least not yet), so just enjoy where you are!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
That makes me feel better, I haven't even done player versus player yet and honestly I'm a bit hesitant because of some of the nasty posts that I've seen and how some people tend to take advantage of overpowering a weaker opponent..

Don't get me wrong, this is my very first MMRPG and I'm loving it. Despite some of the issues I'm having in certain solo missions, the rewards I get as a result far out weigh the issues I'm having. I just wish I had additional help in certain missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordellg2
That makes me feel better, I haven't even done player versus player yet and honestly I'm a bit hesitant because of some of the nasty posts that I've seen and how some people tend to take advantage of overpowering a weaker opponent..

Don't get me wrong, this is my very first MMRPG and I'm loving it. Despite some of the issues I'm having in certain solo missions, the rewards I get as a result far out weigh the issues I'm having. I just wish I had additional help in certain missions.
PvP is all with people of your level (+ or - a few levels), so it is always fun. You won't get squished too badly. With no death penalty, and win or lose, you still get rewards, there really isn't a reason NOT to PvP.

The missions are fun also.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-10-2010, 11:53 AM
I just started a new character to see at what pace I really do level, my first one is a RA at the moment. I am Lt. 7 at the moment, and my playtime is 6 hours and 30 minutes. Deduct perhaps maybe an hour from that for trip to the bathroom, making coffee, helping the wife with something. And all I do is just storyline missions and patrol missions, and I feel really laid-back when I do them.

The difference is, I have time. I start work at 8am, return home at 4pm. Then I eat dinner and start playing around 6pm or so. I log off around midnight, which leaves me with some 6 odd hours I can play on weekdays. On weekends I can play more. My wife always has her own things to do, knitting being her favorite.

Playing games is my favorite way of relaxing. I love games, and been at it since I got my VIC-20 some 30 years ago, followed by a C64. And some know how that story goes When I play games, I do it in what I consider a relaxed, casual and laid-back way. My chair shows signs of that as well, I need to get a new one soon.

But for STO, I think on average it would take 1 hour per level or so in-game time. Which I think is quite normal. The difference, between people it seems, is how much time we have and like to play every day.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I just hit Captain 1 last night. I usually play 3-4 hours at night after work, maybe 8 or 10 on the weekend days if I have nothing else going on. I've done only PvE stuff: story missions, explore missions, sector defense, and patrols. No fleet actions yet. As another poster mentioned, having played beta I knew where everything was before the game started and I'd also played the content from 1-18 so I didn't have to re-read all the mission briefs.

I do feel that I'm leveling at a fairly steady pace without rushing through the game. I do read the mission content and go through the conversation dialogues and whatnot. I haven't made an special point of trying to min-max my ship for performance (heck, my BO skills are in terrible condition right now). I take a little time every time I get a new ship to learn a little more about how the mechanics work and such. Mostly though, it's about having the time to play and keeping a steady pace.

Now granted, there is absolutely no incentive to cap out. Once you run out of content to play that's it until Cryptic adds more. Getting to the level cap first is like winning a race where the prize is being smacked in the head with a board. Enjoy the game. That's what it's here for.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Captain 7. I have played maybe 70 hours so far. I do the story missions and exploration missions only. You get a lvl in 2 hours pretty easy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
well i did it in 7 days but mainly cos im off work due to an operation but im still doing other things like making sure i got the weapons and so forth that i want
tweaking my ship making sure ive got it just the way i want
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard31581 View Post
I knew I was slow, but I didn't realize I was that slow. I've had a character since head start, but I've probably only logged maybe 10 hours of game time at most. I'm juuuust shy of getting LtCmdr. I get maybe half an hour a day (if I'm lucky and I don't get disconnected) which is enough time to run one or two missions. On the weekends I might be able to squeeze in two to three hours. Some days I don't get to play at all because I'm just too busy. For a casual player like myself, I feel there's more than enough content to keep me entertained for months to come. I honestly don't want to rush it and get to a point where I have nothing to do.
your too casual.... Check my sig below... I put my star dates as the date I commissioned my new ship.. less than a week I hit Lt commander. But I have played 45 min this week..... so...

If you tired of questing.. go PVP... there is just some fun .. or play the Klingon's...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 AM.