Lt. Commander
# 1 Rare skills?
02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Is there a list of rare skills somewhere? I assume there are skills that can't be found on the skill trainer officer on Earth Starbase, right? Would like to see a list of these, and where they are typically found.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Pretty much anything that says rank III. The ones you open up by spending 9 points on your captains skills.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoule View Post
Pretty much anything that says rank III. The ones you open up by spending 9 points on your captains skills.
But I assume not every rank I skill can be bought at the space station, right?

What I'd like to find out is what are the skills that can't just be bought, even at rank 1.

Also, can you get rank III skills in the ensign and lt. slots? Is that even possible?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
What I'd like to find out is what are the skills that can't just be bought, even at rank 1.
As far as I know, all tier I skills can be bought at Sol.

Quote:
Also, can you get rank III skills in the ensign and lt. slots? Is that even possible?
Supposedly yes, you can get lucky BO's that supposedly have higher rank skills in lower level slots, I never personally saw one however, well maybe I did but I just had no easy way of knowing because it's not shown in the UI, so I didn't notice it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
But I assume not every rank I skill can be bought at the space station, right?

You cannot get higher end skills for lower ranked ability slots as you describe.
I wish it was possible. I was even blinded by my own excitement about this possibility when a friend of mine claimed there would be such rare BOs, but fact is, nothing like that is in the game.
The only thing resembling it is that some abilities at rank 4 such as aceton field II can have a level III version, in this case aceton field III, in that slot instead coming from rare BOs. I think this also goes for viral matrix III vs. viral matrix II.

Every rank I ability can be bought at the skill trainer at the starbase.

What is available through rare BOs are level III or level II skills that can not be bought through the vendor and are not unlockable by players themselves.
Abilities that a player of the corresponding profession can unlock (eg. torpedo high yield III as tactical officer (only tacticals can unlock tactical skills, only engineers engineering abilities etc.)) are not available through rare BOs.
To my knowledge the only exception to this seems to be attack pattern omega III which I saw on rare BOs once or twice, but i am willing to bet it will be taken out soon.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
wow, there really needs to be more tier 1 skills then.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoule View Post
Supposedly yes, you can get lucky BO's that supposedly have higher rank skills in lower level slots, I never personally saw one however, well maybe I did but I just had no easy way of knowing because it's not shown in the UI, so I didn't notice it.
I originally thought this was the case in beta, but since the last mid-beta wipe, I've studied things more closely, and concluded that if I had noticed anything, it was simply that some III powers are naturally the same rank as the II versions.