Lt. Commander
# 1 Blue Screen of Death on PC
02-10-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm fortunate that I work in an environment where I can log into the game from my office... That said I can't get STO to work on my system, though it does play other games like WoW just on lowered settings...But STO doesn't just not play, it gives me a BSOD when I try to run it...

I double click the game icon, it gives me a message about my video settings and I can choose "Lowered Settings" or "Recommended Settings" either one I choose flashes my screen black like it's about to load, but then goes to a BSOD with a bunch of error messages on it.

Unfortunately I didn't write down the specific messages maybe later i'll update this with the info...

System specs are
Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.66
2GB mem
Intel Chipset on the video card - unfortunately I don't know any of the specs for it..
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Your graphics card is below our minimum spec. Granted it still shouldn't blue screen, but it won't likely work that well either. Make sure the drivers for it are up to date.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I see his problem..

he's using a quad core with windows xp..

talk about a waste

Actually someone in my fleet is using a onboard video card and can still play with all the settings down to their minimum. not sure what his specs are.. but it is possible.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash_the_Stampede
I see his problem..

he's using a quad core with windows xp..

talk about a waste

Actually someone in my fleet is using a onboard video card and can still play with all the settings down to their minimum. not sure what his specs are.. but it is possible.
Not all integrated video are created equal and I'm not surprised the OP can't run the game as the vid card is below minimum spec.

Try setting game to safe mode in the STO launcher to get all the settings down to minimum.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 03:45 PM
BSOD is usually hardware issues or drivers check you have the lastest ones

Intel HD graphics should work

But yes a quad core on xp is such a waste LOL invest in windows 7 64bit trust me you wont reget it

Also post a dxdiag report might help out

Start / run type dxdiag then click save all infomation and post on the forums
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Key words many of you missed:

I work in an environment where I can log into the game from my office

Not my system, not gonna upgrade it I'll just continue to play from home fine

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 11:57 AM
I just bought STO was looking forward to playing this evening, Installed the game bla bla made a toon bla bla started playing the game and boom BSOD rebooted started again and Boom BSOD updated gfx drivers started again & boom BSOD trust me this is not my hardware i can play most games with maxed out graphics read a coupel of threads involving ATI having problems with STO crashing took some advice lowered my graphics still BSOD

AMD 9950 quad core
vista 64 ultimate
gigabyte - 9800gt
geil black dragon - 8gig

So im guessing ther may be a problem with the game for some users
If it gets fixed in the next couple of days then fine if not i'll just cancell my subscription & go bk to playing eve
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Does it work in safe mode (in the launcher options)?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioc
I just bought STO was looking forward to playing this evening, Installed the game bla bla made a toon bla bla started playing the game and boom BSOD rebooted started again and Boom BSOD updated gfx drivers started again & boom BSOD trust me this is not my hardware i can play most games with maxed out graphics read a coupel of threads involving ATI having problems with STO crashing took some advice lowered my graphics still BSOD

AMD 9950 quad core
vista 64 ultimate
gigabyte - 9800gt
geil black dragon - 8gig

So im guessing ther may be a problem with the game for some users
If it gets fixed in the next couple of days then fine if not i'll just cancell my subscription & go bk to playing eve
Blue Screen crashing? I'm betting that it is a driver issue. what's the blue screen error code ?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Any chance you could let us know what STOP code you're getting? Specifically the listed file and any info after that (i.e. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, etc.).

If it's rebooting too quickly, you can go into System Properties -> Advanced and under the Startup/Recovery settings button, uncheck the "Automatically restart" checkbox. That way the BSOD will stay on screen long enough to read.

This could be a driver issue, but just as likely could be an overheat, bad memory, bad video card, or any number of other things, most of them hardware-related.