Lt. Commander
# 1 Transwarp: Unlocking Potential
02-10-2010, 01:46 PM
While there are other posts out there. I did not want to have this lost at the end of another thread. That said, here is my thought.

After playing for a while I have come to the conclusion that Transwarp needs a little something. The ability is very powerful, but highly limited. The proposed alteration would extend Transwarp capability to ANY sector.

What I suggest is that Transwarp be used as a fast travel system between sectors and not just to star bases. The simple idea would be to use the Galaxy Map view. Right clicking a sector allows the selection of that sector block. You could then use a Transwarp option to either goto a Star Base in that area...or to goto the sector it's self. This would allow players to quickly traverse the game world.

One of the thing I personally find annoying is travel times. It is not the traveling between systems, more the traveling between sectors or region maps. This is made worse when you have to traverse three or four separate regions to get to the new area you have missions in.

This system would remove that, allowing fast travel to friends and future raid content. It would also remove the need to pass through spam infested areas while going to new mission area's. And it would allow fast access to SB01, Mem Alpha, and any other Star Base of interest.

Any way, this is just a thought and I am sure the developers may have also thought of it. But I just wanted top get this rather sensible idea out of my head and clear that spot for more ideas. Thank you for the time and I hope you can be constructive.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 01:53 PM
At the very least, allowing transwarp to the nearest Fed starbase would be very nice.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebnork View Post
At the very least, allowing transwarp to the nearest Fed starbase would be very nice.
The issue is there is not really a star base in each sector. And some sectors...like say Pi Canis have a fair drive to get to. Why can I not just go there when it is shown in the game that StarFleet is building a TransWarp network to everywhere...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I would've thought they'd make transwarp travel analogous to flight paths, but instead they made them analogous to a hearth stone. It was kind of a weird decision, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC26 View Post
I would've thought they'd make transwarp travel analogous to flight paths, but instead they made them analogous to a hearth stone. It was kind of a weird decision, IMO.
That's what I thought when I first saw the blue lines, flew close hoping that it would give a speed boost if you followed it's path.. but nope.. utterly useless except to find cargo ships.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
I disagree.

EVERY MMO has travel time. It makes the game seem more "real" than just warping everywhere.

And in the shows and movies, there is travel time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeopardydd View Post
I disagree.

EVERY MMO has travel time. It makes the game seem more "real" than just warping everywhere.

And in the shows and movies, there is travel time.
Travel time, yes. But normally you can warp to a "hub" close to where you're going. In this game you have to "walk" the entire way.

They really need to fix this as I don't like paying good money to sit endlessly in the sector view just waiting to get to my stupid destination.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
The point of Transwarp is to cross large distances quickly. This is why the Federation is creating their network after all. I am not saying it should remove travel. I am just saying it should help you to go from one side of the map to another with out having to creep along at Warp 8.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Personally, I think you should at least be able to change the location of your transwarp destination. I don't necessarily want to end up at Starbase 001 all the time. More often than not, Starbase 114 (I think? The one in the Sierra system) would be more than enough for my needs.

if they could just change that, it'd make me happy.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyberSmoke View Post
The issue is there is not really a star base in each sector. And some sectors...like say Pi Canis have a fair drive to get to. Why can I not just go there when it is shown in the game that StarFleet is building a TransWarp network to everywhere...
key word, "building" its not finished yet. imo the transwarp ability will become more useful as the game progresses and travel times would have increased further otherwise. Also this progression is useful as a story/character motivator.