Lt. Commander
# 21
10-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icesavage
I personally want it to be a static 30 minutes, not just 30 minutes of space flying time. I hate that the transwarp cooldown does not go down while I m spending time in Earthdock or on a ground mission
/agreed

Got to have 10 characters for some reason.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-11-2010, 10:13 PM
with the diplomacy transwarp abilities you get to every major starbase quickly, so it wouldnt take long to get to a majority of the sectors from there.if you happen to have the excelsior then you could go just about anywhere quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icesavage
I personally want it to be a static 30 minutes, not just 30 minutes of space flying time. I hate that the transwarp cooldown does not go down while I m spending time in Earthdock or on a ground mission
Yep seconded, also it'd be snazzy if the timer ran after being logged off.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
with the diplomacy transwarp abilities you get to every major starbase quickly, so it wouldnt take long to get to a majority of the sectors from there.if you happen to have the excelsior then you could go just about anywhere quickly.
True, but it shares the cool down. And timer still only runs during space travel and not during ground missions or while in space dock.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854 View Post
That's what I thought when I first saw the blue lines, flew close hoping that it would give a speed boost if you followed it's path.. but nope.. utterly useless except to find cargo ships.
When STO first came out I remember reading a review by one of the developers from Perpetual and he claimed that the maps are a carry-over from their development. The blue lines actually did make you fly faster as long as you stayed within those lines. He was disappointed to see that it was not the case in the Cryptic version.

I wish I could remember his name and post a link to the review. If anyone is interested in finding it, I think I came across it at MMORPG.com (I could be wrong though).
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-13-2010, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryecrash View Post
When STO first came out I remember reading a review by one of the developers from Perpetual and he claimed that the maps are a carry-over from their development. The blue lines actually did make you fly faster as long as you stayed within those lines. He was disappointed to see that it was not the case in the Cryptic version.

I wish I could remember his name and post a link to the review. If anyone is interested in finding it, I think I came across it at MMORPG.com (I could be wrong though).
considering Perpetual never got passed the concept phase of the game, while it COULD have been a carryover it would have been visual only since cryptic used their own engine and probably decided to not use the "stay within the lines and go faster" thing, since most people likely autopilot around.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Personally I find it interesting that there are threads like this about wanting more "instant travel" through transwarp because sector space seems to big, and yet there seem to be an equal number of threads saying sector space is too small and needs to be larger. So much so to the point that the devs have mentioned an idea of getting rid of the sector borders and making sector space one giant map essentially.

What I would like to see is the one giant space map idea with transwarp hubs you have to fly up to in order to activate (like the Gamma Orionis one) outside of the major systems like Earth, DS9, K7, Starbase 38, etc all connected (think transit system from CoH). Then you would only get one transwarp click power that you can bind to one starbase at a time for that quick transwarp back from anywhere. After that they could make slipstream last longer or possibly even be a toggle type ability for intersector travel, although I'd still leave it as an end level ability or at least RA/VA if/when the level cap is raised again. Heck I'd even conceed to allowing everyone access to slipstream but with less useable time/longer cool downs at lower levels and working up to "infinite" at the end level.
Lt. Commander
# 28 lol
10-13-2010, 11:42 AM
you have to look at it as those who know about space and those who are just lazy and prefer this be a rpg game where there is no real travel they want the illusion of travel.

All MMO's have travel in it. real world attributes which grant the facts that one must travel to get from point A to point B. The people who wish to have instant travel are those who do not wish to emmerse themselves into the star trek universe, but play on a quick thrill aspect. they are not real trekkies or for that matter have seen a majority of the movies where the enterprise had to wait mounds of hours to get a response or travel to another sector.

To them yes i say this sector space is to small. if it was true space version aspect then you would have to make ship interiors work to cover the time you are traveling in space.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
they are not real trekkies or for that matter have seen a majority of the movies where the enterprise had to wait mounds of hours to get a response or travel to another sector.
Nonsense. Complete and utter.

"Travel time" in this game serves no purpose. There is basically nothing to do while traveling, save for chatting with friends or similar pursuits. I don't see people asking to be able to go everywhere instantly, but please don't assume everyone is just out for instant gratification. The sector borders thing is silly but apparently was needed as a programming mechanic. I'd like to see them go away. Make transwarp/slipstream a little more available and do what you want with your own travel times.

Long travel times in MMO games serve one purpose - they are time sinks. More time traveling means less time leveling up which equals more subscription time paid.

Oh, and by the way. Serious Trek fans call themselves "Trekkers" , not "Trekkies".
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Fed side:

Once you have capped your Diplomatic experience and achieved Federation Ambassador, you will have Transwarps to K7, SB39 and DS9. Combined with the Sol Transwarp those will get you within one Sector Block of anywhere you need to go in the game. So, that's one warp jump to get anywhere after a Transwarp.

Need to get to Pi Canis quickly?
Transwarp to K7 and go straight to Pi Canis from there.

Iota Povaris?
Transwarp to SB39 and it's just a hop away. Same goes for Pi Velorum.

Klingon side:

As Klingons have only a few Sector Blocks that they can go to anyway, they have no need for any other Transwarps. Everywhere they can go is just a load screen away.

When additional Sector Blocks are opened up to them a way needs to be devised for Klingons to earn Transwarps as well.

----------------------------------------

Your proposal would make the rewards for doing Diplomatic missions (rewarded at each Diplomatic rank gained beyond Attache) pretty much useless. I don't think the devs would want to do that.