Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-19-2010, 03:39 AM
As i stated before its not only Nvidia cards getting AA problems, i have a simular problem, and im 99.9% certain i didnt touch any of my graphical settings before one of there patchs, seeing as i was out at the time it would have proven some what difficult to have done so.

Its quite strange there not even replying to my support ticket about this issue but decide to reply to tickets placed about things later on, 12 days and no reply lol.

But i can assure you cryptic before one of the patches not so long ago i could play with max AA settings with no graphical issues, it cleaned up the image not destroyed it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-19-2010, 07:04 AM
I am gonna try this stuff out hope it works cause i am gettin fps drops down to 5

running Nvidia 9500gt with a gig of on the card ram
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-20-2010, 06:23 AM
I had to turn off antialiasing to prevent my video from being choppy as hell. I am running nVidia 196.21 drivers. In the control panel STO is not listed as one of the programs found on my computer but it is in the custom pull down (when I uncheck the box filtering out programs I don't have).

AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2GHz)
8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Geforce 275 (648Mhz) w/ 896MB RAM (1152MHz GDDR3)
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
My system runs STO decent but I'm trying to get rid of FPS hiccups. I want my NVIDIA drivers to handle Antialiasing instead of in-game settings as suggested in rockntrek's NVIDIA thread.

No matter what I do, STO completely ignores the NVIDIA Antialiasing Setting (yep I have it turned off in STO). In NVIDIA Control Panel I've tried "Enhance the application setting" and "Override any application setting" - no change at all in STO.

I was running the 190.62 drivers. I thought I might need to upgrade as suggested in Xerove's post so I followed the instructions there. I used Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode to wipe 190.62 clean and upgraded to 196.21. Same result - STO still ignores NVIDIA settings.

Do you think this is because I'm still on Win XP 32-bit? Any suggestions?

Techie Info
----------------------------
DxDiag
3D Settings Pt 1
3D Settings Pt 2

I had a problem applying some setting i was messing around with...i was applying them to the wrong friggin exe file..i wasn't sure with sto which file is ACTUALLY the game file...as SIMPLE as i know it is..justg make jusr you are applying the setting you want to the correct exe.

im running a 295..i have tried using one pcb for aa and the other for thwe normal 3d and it worked fine...i have switched it back...I used the games settings.

But to be honest AA over 4 and 8x has been a problem for nvidia for YEARS especially at higher res...it took them long enough to admit it..so I cant imagine they suddenly made 32x aa drivers..tjhey are not capable..though as I said not too many problems with the 295.

to make you feel better though my ati buddies are feeling the same frustrations so i dont thik this is limited to one brand as some might have you believe

EDIT: I hear alot of people going on about the RAM on thier cards..you know unless the ram is talilored(868 meg for instance is no coincidence) and even then..often(if not always) you need at least a 24 inch screen AND resultions of at LEAST 1650x1080..and results dont really start to kick in until around 1920x1200.

these are the time when memory on your card really counts. running quad sli with a gig per card on a 15 inch screen at 1024 x 768 would hilariously be utterly pointless...and while my last specs there were a joke...you should see the jokers with the 295 proudnly in thier machine..but they have the monitor they were usinf when we celevrated the mellenium!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2
EDIT: I hear alot of people going on about the RAM on thier cards..you know unless the ram is talilored(868 meg for instance is no coincidence) and even then..often(if not always) you need at least a 24 inch screen AND resultions of at LEAST 1650x1080..and results dont really start to kick in until around 1920x1200.

these are the time when memory on your card really counts. running quad sli with a gig per card on a 15 inch screen at 1024 x 768 would hilariously be utterly pointless...and while my last specs there were a joke...you should see the jokers with the 295 proudnly in thier machine..but they have the monitor they were usinf when we celevrated the mellenium!
IDK about that, it depends on the program and how it utilizes memory, GTAIV will eat up every bit of V-memory even at lower resolutions. I think STO has an option somewhere to utilize the memory in different ways under troubleshooting.
Lt. Commander
I'm not sure what AA is even being used for in STO. Not only does the game ignore what the control panel is set to (and I've got updated drivers, a GTX 260, I've tried disabling the setting in-game, I've tried nHancer), but if you adjust the game's AA setting and look carefully, you'll notice that it never really goes past 2xAA. I've noticed a loss in frames when switching between the options, but no improvement in quality. I went to my bridge and also used sector space to look at some choppy areas, like in the engine nacelles of my Constitution Refit, or at my character's legs and the dome in the ceiling of my bridge. I'd change it to no AA, and it was really jaggy. I'd change it to 2xAA, and it would smooth out a little, but still with noticeable jaggys. If I changed it to 4xAA or 8xAA, it wouldn't change AT ALL. In fact, on away missions I've noticed that if you have it on 8xAA, there's an issue with a shadow line not too far off that walks in front of you. That's the only difference I can see between 8xAA and 2xAA or 4xAA. I can make X-Wing Alliance look smoother than STO. That's crap.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2010, 12:12 AM
It only applies 8x to certain objects/areas, if you go to earth spacedock and look at the floor with the carpet with metal "strips" it applies to that. Also (for me anyway) it affects most ground shadows. And with ships, most ppl zoom out far enough that they don't notice the jaggedness. Most ppl probably don't notice or pay attention past 4x anyway. Also what kind of drivers you using? My 9800 has minimal FPS loss between 8x and 2x, about 5-6 frames.

And don't get to overly dramatic about it, its a MMO after all, they have to keep resource demand minimal to have a broader system requirement so more ppl can play, which is a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2010, 03:47 AM
i got fsaa probs aswell but with ATI (got a HD4890 running at 1680x1050) sometimes it does apply fsaa on certain parts like my ship some objects and when i look at broken station (pvp scen) a bit away i see jagged edges all over, using ingame settings (8x) or controle panel doesent help hope they fix it soon!

fsaa makes everything looks so much sharper i hate those jaggies!